Kill-Switch Story

Michiman

Reaction score
As of April1, kill switch usage on boats that have them, and are less than 26' in length, are REQUIRED around here.

I've always used the safety/kill switch when we rode our jet skis. But I can't remember the last time I've used it on our boat. Sad to say. I realize that it's a new law here now so whoever is driving will have to wear it......

Tennessee as well. I'm wearing mine.

I went ahead and got a wrist clip like I have on the jet ski vs the clip to my body style and it’s less bothersome. I don’t mind wearing one since the law in Texas is written in blood, sadly.

Kill switch is probably a good thing whether we like it or not, but it still won't save stupidity. This past weekend a boater was riding a toon with his legs hanging off the front. They hit a big wake, and it threw him off. The results were not pretty. Lake Gaston I believe it was, and I think I have the time right. He lived, but was cut up severely. Another group was on a boat traveling fast when it landed on an island with bodies flying in the trees. Same lake I believe. You guess how that happened.

Hmmm….I don’t use mine either. May need to rethink that when I eventually get back out on the water. Sad thing is, there’s no good excuse for not doing it, other than pure oversight and laziness on my part to actually fasten it to me. I like the jet ski wrist strap idea Mozekian switched over too. I might give that a try whenever our boat is back.

Kill switch is probably a good thing whether we like it or not, but it still won't save stupidity. This past weekend a boater was riding a toon with his legs hanging off the front. They hit a big wake, and it threw him off. The results were not pretty. Lake Gaston I believe it was, and I think I have the time right. He lived, but was cut up severely. Another group was on a boat traveling fast when it landed on an island with bodies flying in the trees. Same lake I believe. You guess how that happened.
Didn't hear about those incidents at Lake Gaston. I'll look em up.....

Interesting this topic came up. I was issued a patent from the US patent office back in October for a new style kill switch I designed. It uses proximity sensors to detect the captain at the helm above idle speed and requires no lanyard or fob. If you are at the helm the circuit is closed and the boat will run but if you are away from the helm above idle speed the circuit opens and the boat will cut off. This will put an end to runaway boats forever and requires no learned behavior. Hopefully everyone will see it on boats and personal watercraft in the near future as I am working with manufacturers and legislatures currently.

Interesting this topic came up. I was issued a patent from the US patent office back in October for a new style kill switch I designed. It uses proximity sensors to detect the captain at the helm above idle speed and requires no lanyard or fob. If you are at the helm the circuit is closed and the boat will run but if you are away from the helm above idle speed the circuit opens and the boat will cut off. This will put an end to runaway boats forever and requires no learned behavior. Hopefully everyone will see it on boats and personal watercraft in the near future as I am working with manufacturers and legislatures currently.
so almost like a riding lawn mower

They should have something like this with cars and cell phones

Back