L Shape vs Co Captains Chair

KDM

Reaction score
About to order a 22 ft S Premium and debating between the duel Captains chairs vs the traditional stern radius. Would appreciate feed on this and especially from those with the duel captains chairs. Pros and cons!

We have the traditional l seating and it works for us. If we had separate rear loungers the dual captains chairs would be nice.

Dual Captains .Both are the optional extra wide . We had the L shape on our SLX .We both prefer the Dual Captains

I think it really depends on your intended use. Just a couple of you cruising around, dual captains. Socializing with 6-8 or more, L lounge or stern radius setup. We never have more than 2-3 on our toon (insert motor comment-o_O) so we traded our R-L for a GCW.

Agree with SemperFi on that how you use your boat should determine. I prefer the look of the dual seats but they are not as practical for me from both a seating concern as well as a storage concern

Wish we had dual captain chairs on the RCW. 90% of the time it is just Jill and I on the boat.

Dual buckets, I liken them to the lay out I like in my trucks.

I never went with the dual buckets. Storage was always needed, plus it was far more appealing if / when we had the movable bow seat in the port side doorway.

My wife and I went to the boat show and sat in multiple seating arrangements. When discussing our future boating we realize that also like Remediation we will be by our selves 90% of the time. Therefore we truly found the co-captains chairs to be really intimate and perfect for conversation. So we ordered the 20 SSRX tritoon 115 HP Yamaha w/extended Aft deck, ski tow, toon storage, SPS performance package and tilt steering. Can't wait for delivery and Spring to arrive. So we suggest going with the co-captain chair. Enjoy. We will post pictures when we take delivery

Just to second some comments above by Link and Semper, storage in the L compartment is considerable. How you use the boat is how you make this decision. If you have kids, they grow into teens and bring all their friends. You can fit 5 of those skinny water rats on the L. Or 2 adults comfortably. Three adults gets crowded. The table is a bonus with the L. Not sure if you get one of those with a Captain's chair. If no kids, 3 couples would be awkward for the guy who doesn't get the Captain's chair. Ladies all sit up front. Third guy gets to sit with the ladies, for better or for worse.

I know you already decided. This is for the other 1000 that will read this.

For us it is mainly my wife and I cruising. We did not get the co captain chairs but really wish we did, to be able to sit next to each and easily have conversations.

For anyone looking at a GCW, we love the co-captains "lounger" ... with pull out footrest/cooler/cup holder.

IMG_1357.JPG

For anyone looking at a GCW, we love the co-captains "lounger" ... with pull out footrest/cooler/cup holder.

View attachment 24298

Very nice!! Have not seen that set up much. We like the L shaped seating since we usually have a boatful of people. When it's just the two of us, then one of us just lounges next to the captain at the helm. We find the L shape much more practical with the extra storage and seating.

My wife and I went to the boat show and sat in multiple seating arrangements. When discussing our future boating we realize that also like Remediation we will be by our selves 90% of the time. Therefore we truly found the co-captains chairs to be really intimate and perfect for conversation. So we ordered the 20 SSRX tritoon 115 HP Yamaha w/extended Aft deck, ski tow, toon storage, SPS performance package and tilt steering. Can't wait for delivery and Spring to arrive. So we suggest going with the co-captain chair. Enjoy. We will post pictures when we take delivery

I know I sound like a broken record but...……..the motor is too small to take advantage of the SPS and tow bar.

I know I sound like a broken record but...……..the motor is too small to take advantage of the SPS and tow bar.
........you are right, fix the record!

We love our L seat!!!

We went with the L shape lounger as opposed to the dual captain chairs. My wife requested that floor plan. She enjoys lounging facing aft watching the view! Plus that way she can watch my 6. We havent had any issues holding a conversation and like most have said, the storage is more than ample

We have a 22ssbxp (swing back) with the L shape and removable table. For the way we use the boat, the L shape was a must. We often have a near full crew of adults and children so the extra seating and storage is critical. The table comes in handy for meals and snacks and removes and stows in the center toon easily.

If it were just 2 or 3 of us, it wouldn't matter and captains chairs would be nice.

We love our dual captains.

My wife does not like duel captains chair. She love her bench and it works for us from conversation perspective. Since it is her seat it is her decision.:)

Last edited:
Back