Ladder discoloration

kcd3257

Well-Known Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
25
Location
New jersey
Our 2022 sx 23 has a back out package and the part of the ladder that is in the water has lost all of the black and is now silver, anyone ever seen that before ??
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1466.jpeg
    IMG_1466.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
It looks like mine did when my wife forgot to pull it out of the water at our dock .
I'm not saying that is what happened with yours ,but you left no comment with your picture .
I used Dawn Platinum power wash to clean mine .
 
well the boat has the blackout package and all the black is gone from the ladder, yes the people before us left it in the water a few times... Dealer says will not cover it under warranty, boat is a 2022. wondering how to get it black again
 
Did you transfer the balance of the warranty at an authorized Bennington Dealer ?
Here is the phone number for Bennington 888 906 2628 , give them a call if you like . If you call, have your Hull ID .
 
If you dont have a copy ,here is a link to the warranty statement .
Here is a link to the fine print .
I havent read either for 2026 , but it "usually" doesnt change .
 
Our 2022 sx 23 has a back out package and the part of the ladder that is in the water has lost all of the black and is now silver, anyone ever seen that before ??
Wow, that almost looks like they replaced the ladder with a non-blackout version. I would imagine that a good cleaning, primer, and spray paint could get it closer to the blackout look, but not sure how durable it will be.
Edit: After looking at the picture again, to have all the black removed like that seems unusual. Must be a replacement or someone intentionally removed it if it was peeling.
 
Last edited:
I would have the dealer contact Bennington for a warranty claim.

I wonder if the dealer did replace the ladder with a cheap one that they painted?

If the ladder is solid and you like it, I would have it powder coated locally.
 
Well OP,
This is all up to you but before I'd start getting all entangled with any form of warranty claims that you more than likely will lose the battle anyways, I'd simply take the easier route. I'd yank that ladder section off, run it on down to your local powder coating company and have it powder coated. You'd be done in a day and you'd be real happy with the results. Yeah, it might cost a few bucks but, it appears that your concern about loosing that black color is of fair importance to you. You could simply sand and or scuff it thoroughly with some medium scotch Brite padding (they make all different grades and colors for various coarseness) and grab a can of some of the more expensive higher quality rattle can paint and shoot it. if prepped properly, even a painted ladder would last quite a while. Powder coating is by far the more serious and way stronger coating.
Scott

P.S.
I welded up a front-load ladder for the trailer on our last boat, an '06 Kayot and had it powder coated. I think the whole thing was $75 at the time and I had it done in "Hammertone" gray. Turned out fairly nice. Your ladder can look as good.
Scott
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 6
Would Powder Coating a painted trailer be worth the cost? I have a black painted trailer used in fresh water that is currently in good shape and typically used 2x per year. I see some of the new trailers have a bed-liner type product as protection.
 
Is this for aesthetics or protection? An unpainted galvanized steel or aluminum trailer should outlast your boat if properly maintained. Only thing I could see paint or powder coating helping out with is if there are various nuts/bolts or other attachments on the trailer that don't have corrosion protection and susceptible to rust. But that's a heck of a lot of money vs. just periodically replacing a few parts or just keeping it covered when not used.
 
Would Powder Coating a painted trailer be worth the cost? I have a black painted trailer used in fresh water that is currently in good shape and typically used 2x per year. I see some of the new trailers have a bed-liner type product as protection.
I have a black painted trailer used in fresh water that is currently in good shape....

Well Sir, I think you just answered your own question. Typically, Powder coating is done primarily when an object or component or large unit (like a trailer or car frame etc.) is new. This way, it starts off life with as much protection from the environment as it can get. Orrr, in the case of "restorations" guys will powder coat something because not only will it be better protected from the elements than paint would provide but it also looks great. If your trailer "....is currently in good shape..." well, there's really no need to spend a dime on it as your use of it "....2x per year.." and the potential wear and tear would prohibit the expenditure unless you just have money "to burn" as they say.
Scott
 
I was thinking protection as I have some scratches and other areas showing rust. Probably not worth it. Trailer is heavy duty and should outlast me.
 
Sounds to me like you may need just a tad bit of maintenance here and there on the paint side of things. Some paint scratches etc. can be just cleaned a little with some scotch brite pads and then using a very small brush, like a model paint brush. Where as others, may require some sanding to feather out edges and then the application of maybe a spray can that's been formulated with your particular color. Automotive paint suppliers can do these things now and it makes for great touchup.
Scott
 
Back
Top