Lake and Marina “Neighbor” Rants:

If the law allows such close placement to lot lines, (I would check it) in most localities the law will not allow infringement of use on a neighbor. That certainly looks like the case here. It would take an attorney to bring the case up to any kind of meaningful level. However, you could certainly look up some of this stuff and bring it to them and they may adjust. Just no 4th of July invite now though. Put everything in writing and they will either respond in writing or not at all, both means send a message. I’ve had neighbor problems and I’ve always prevailed.

Do have any idea what his motovation is? Isn't he kind of boxing out one side of his dock too?
As of right now, we do not. Other than telling our other neighbor when they were putting it in that they wanted to maximize their shore views, and so long as it was on their property he didn’t see a problem.

As for boxing himself in too…yup. he only has 1-2’ feet between his dock and property line. He doesn’t even have room for a jet ski. None of it makes any sense. None of the rest of us that have seen it (my wife and I, and a few or our other neighbors now), cannot figure it out.

That's ridiculous. I really hope this is something that can be resolved so you can continue to enjoy your lake living.

On another note, I just realized it says Moderator under you name. Not sure when that happened but congratulations!
Thanks…and yes, happened in January. Although the above rant is not a good look given I am a moderator now. Hmmm…..

If the law allows such close placement to lot lines, (I would check it) in most localities the law will not allow infringement of use on a neighbor. That certainly looks like the case here. It would take an attorney to bring the case up to any kind of meaningful level. However, you could certainly look up some of this stuff and bring it to them and they may adjust. Just no 4th of July invite now though. Put everything in writing and they will either respond in writing or not at all, both means send a message. I’ve had neighbor problems and I’ve always prevailed.
I’ve had a few similar suggestions from friends. It may come to this. It may come to us simply working around it for this summer, adjusting our placement next summer, and withdrawing any interaction with them. It may lead (when piled on to everything else up there the past 3 years) me cashing out and moving on. Right now I am far too in the moment to make the best decision with it all. Just in an angry funk over it all…

That said, thank you for the good advice. Taking note as potential guidance in the weeks ahead when I settle down a bit more over it.

I am so sorry you are going through all of this. The nature of lake houses are they are on top of each other, and some people just suck. Sometimes all you can do is ignore and control your responses.

Add to that the difficulty of owning a second house. It is hard enough taking care of one house, but two? When you are not at one full time, frustration mounts. We have all arrived at our "retreat" only to find a leaky roof, varmin, or worse. Enough for even the most positive person to consider giving it all up.

But then other days......well those days make it all worth while.

Your wife is correct of course, make that decision while sitting on your boat in July on a spectacular day. That is the only way to know you truly want to give it up.

If you do decide to keep it, which I hope you do, maybe there is a local handyman that can check on your place before you arrive. I know when I receive a call about a problem and possible solutions, I feel much better than walking into problems.

I wish you the best of luck, and patience
David
Thanks B.S…ha, ha…couldn’t resist! Thanks for the perspective. Going to really try to focus on your seocnd to last word….”patience”. I really need to find some right now.

at least now you know what you’re dealing with over there. I’d move your dock and be done with it. Unfortunately if he’s on his side he’s ok but not the neighborly way of handling it.

Another option would be to have a survey done including the docks. I did this when a neighbor of mine in Michigan was being challenging and the survey revealed the end of his dock was on my side considering reparian rights. Since he was so “friendly” I gave him two weeks to move it :)

One final thought, Jeff this cottage was clearly built on Indian burial grounds!!!! You have the worst luck

at least now you know what you’re dealing with over there. I’d move your dock and be done with it. Unfortunately if he’s on his side he’s ok but not the neighborly way of handling it.

One final thought, Jeff this cottage was clearly built on Indian burial grounds!!!! You have the worst luck
We have a plan for just moving ours. Wont be until the end of June where we really have time to mess with anything. This year I think we keep it easy since everything is augured in and set up nicely. We plan to just remove the 6x10 end L platform. Next year the entire dock will be put in somewhat on the other side of our property. Our other neighbors own the empty lot next to our cottage so as to prevent anyone from building on it. A nice perk for us on that side.

I think you are correct about its build location. Bad juju for us for sure with this place. Very bad juju!

I'm sorry for all of your bad luck. I would echo an above post of checking how close to the property line a dock can be placed. On the lake I'm on in Alabama you have to be 15 feet off of the property line. Also, I wish more people tried this simple rule I go by with my neighbors: to have good neighbors, you have to be a good neighbor. Sounds like your doing your part. Now if we can get your neighbor onboard.

Hopefully everything works out (boat and neighbors) and you enjoy a peaceful fun summer.

Wow, that is too bad Jeff. We have one of those neighbors on our street too. Everyone gets along well, except for the arrogant jerk who doesn‘t care about anyone but himself. pissed off everyone at some point. Luckily I’m a few doors down, but everyone has learned to live with him by ignoring him and staying our distance. All has been good with that model. Not a perfect scenario living near a person who is a complete a--, but if you have good friends there and enjoy the place, and it keeps the kids in touch and wanting to visit, it’s worth it. Keep calm, think long term, and I’m sure you’ll decide to stay.

So my arrogant jerk is from Texas, any chance yours is from Ann Arbor? (that would be the worst!!)

Good luck.

Sorry to hear of the continued (and new) problems. We built our dream home in 2000, custom designed it ourselves, beautiful waterfront, the works, moved there full time for a few years, and always assumed we'd retire there. Then we had a few life things happen, as well as a new set of neighbors across the street. They were NOT what we called "lakers", came from elsewhere with money, so didn't have lake life in their blood like most of the other multiple generation residents. They were a prime factor in us completely changing course. At first they seemed great, then came a monster construction project, totally out of character for there, infringement and messes bleeding over to our place for a year and a half+ of non stop construction. It all led to very raw nerves. We decided enough was enough, ended up selling and moving here to Florida, and it's the best thing we ever did. We didn't see any of that coming, but we don't miss them or our home there one bit. Sometimes things do happen for a reason. Best of luck to you.

It's all right Moderators have bitches too! Stupid $&#+!?! $ neighbor!!! All that room and he has to put it next to you! Educate us in the south...... I hear you guys taking your docks out and putting them back in when the ice clears. Do you have a set place you have to put it?!? Can you just move it 20 feet over? Am I missing something?

It's all right Moderators have bitches too! Stupid $&#+!?! $ neighbor!!! All that room and he has to put it next to you! Educate us in the south...... I hear you guys taking your docks out and putting them back in when the ice clears. Do you have a set place you have to put it?!? Can you just move it 20 feet over? Am I missing something?
We only do it for fun and relaxation….you all should try it. on the placement, no place we “have to” put it. Just between our theoretical property lines (land lines extending into lake) so it does not, nor any attachment, crosses the line. some bodies of water (and likely some towns) might have slightly different rules, but generally, this is followed.

this was one my arrogant A neighbor pulled. Because of a goofy right of way, one of his lot lines is on a slight angle, not parallel with the others. (Angling out of course). So next door neighbor, putting in his dock where he has for at least 10 years, is told the end of his dock (a 100 foot dock by the way) is “a few inches” (I wish I was kidding here) onto the A’s property line and he’ll sue if not moved. Neighbor said to sue him, which he did not, but then A did the same crap Jeff’s neighbor did, and installed his dock to try and block the good neighbor out. It didn’t work here, but it was a theatrical bucket of BS as it played out. Now I will say the good neighbor‘s dock may have been over a few inches from past years due to the lack of accuracy on running out a 100’ dock, but that is besides the point of the A just looking to prove he is the bigger A than anyone else. As the conflicting land property lines drawn make the few inches a mute point.

Last edited:
Do you have any big colleges or universities near you? If you DO decide to sell, I think the best thing to do would be to print some flyers/listing pamphlets and take them to each fraternity house there and see if they can pool their money to purchase it. Be a nice parting gift to your new neighbour!

Wow, What a great idea.

My brother's FIL go into a dispute with a neighbor up on the side of a resort mountain years ago. He decided the only way to get his point across was to destroy the value of the neighbor's home by completely killing the view of the valley/town below. He put up a HUGE row of fully-mature evergreens right down the property line spaced so tightly you couldn't slip a dollar bill through it. Neighbor was then left with a crap view of the side of the mountain.

Maybe propose the same thing to your neighbor. Yeah you lose half your view too, but at least it will be on your terms. Tell him we can both win or both lose in this situation, his choice.

I like it, “mutually assured destruction” (of views)

My brother's FIL go into a dispute with a neighbor up on the side of a resort mountain years ago. He decided the only way to get his point across was to destroy the value of the neighbor's home by completely killing the view of the valley/town below. He put up a HUGE row of fully-mature evergreens right down the property line spaced so tightly you couldn't slip a dollar bill through it. Neighbor was then left with a crap view of the side of the mountain.

Maybe propose the same thing to your neighbor. Yeah you lose half your view too, but at least it will be on your terms. Tell him we can both win or both lose in this situation, his choice.
Ha, ha. Yeah, sight lines and property line obsturctions lake side are HEAVELY regulated and restricted by our township. You cannot have ANY obstructions of view from the front corner of your home to the lake. None. And even from front to back corner of home along the side of the home, very heavy limitations.

I cannot find anything on dock encroachment restrictions at all. So long as they stay absolutely on their side of the line, they are okay…even if running it down the line.

But view obstructions of any sort on land: vegetation’s, planting shrubs or trees, fencing etc…yeah, the township isn’t having any of that.

Wind chimes, big, loud and lots of them along property line. You can take them down while you are there. Add big flags along your dock, whatever kind the neighbor finds offensive with bright colors to ensure they are distracting. And if he uses his extended dock on your side of the dock, park your boat out near the end of his dock right on your property line to block him. Might as well have some fun with this.

Back