Lake Moultrie, Lake Marion in SC

Lots of interesting tax info in this thread. We are "looking" around too and didn't realize some of the tax ramifications in these areas. I have lots of "toys" so I'd have to thin the herd .... We are thinking small house and big boat ....  ;)

Guess we'll have to do lots of research before we pull the trigger... then again it might be 10 more years unless I can transfer to one of our sister companies in Florida .... along with 1000 other employees with the same intentions.. :wacko:

Sorry SemperFi I needed to retire first.  Want to be older when young and want to be younger when older

Gentlemen.......... when it's time to retire and move south DO IT!!! You're not getting any younger. You're going to wake up one morning look in the mirror and wonder who that old guy is! 

I used to work with a guy who worked his ass off so he could enjoy retirement travel and move to Florida. Well he ended up dying at work. Had a heart attack right there on a subway platform. All that work for nothing.

Make up your mind.............DO IT WHILE YOU CAN!

My wife loves the heat and hates the snow so we have been looking south. Problem is she wants hot hot hot, so FL or Texas are her target areas. I'd love to be in NC/SC though. I don't like the super heat, or alligators.

We have been in our place for almost 20 years and is about as inexpensive Lake Living as you can find in Florida.  Our Property Taxes are just over $1000 for home.  We access 5 lakes from our canal and no houses can be built on other side of canal.  We purchased the adjoining lot to us, so that no one could build there.  Inverness, Fl 34450.

Where we are living might be the only thing my Wife and I agree on. :D   Only thing missing is a swimming pool.

If you have any questions, feel free to send a PM.  Purchased Bennington from Apopka Marine, right here in Inverness./gallery/album_397/gallery_5250_397_1673760.jpg/gallery/album_397/gallery_5250_397_140881.jpg

Problem is finding a good paying job. I have an odd job and make good money here so finding a suitable one elsewhere is proving difficult. I guess I'll keep looking! You don't have to twist my arm to have 12 months of boating, outdoor living!

My mom and dad used to "snowbird" in Inverness. Don't know why, but they sold their place, and haven't been to Florida since around 2010. I think the kids/grandkids back here kept them from moving permanent. I told them, you only live once, and you worked hard to enjoy retirement, not be a babysitter. Inverness is definitely close enough to Tampa where we have a couple locations .... hmmmmmm ... ;)

Do it Dave!!!!!! I like the gulf side. That is where more of the Midwestern folks go. NY/east coast folks tend to stay on the Atlantic side.

Don't do it Dave, come to the light on the east coast

Don't do it Dave, come to the light on the east coast

Ha ha you guys keep it!

My wife already booked us for a trip to the Ft. Myers boat show in November, since the family has a place on Sanibel Island.

I can't answer how they do it, they just do. The rate does decline as the vehicle/boat/rv depreciates but only about 5% per year for the first 10 years. I know our real property tax is fair when compared to the northern states, but, you must also realize our house hold income is *much* less than those states too.

In this state you never own anything! You always have a property tax, so unfair IMO.

My personal pet peeve is living in the South and working your entire life, I have a nice house worth 500k here in SC. If I decided to move up north to retire I'll have to buy a million dollar plus home to have the same house. Can't do it..... you have my home up North sell it and move here, you have good money left in your pocket. I just lived in the wrong place my entire life , I do have a Southern Belle as a wife :)  

Steve

Would you quit trying to talk everyone into moving down here! Going to get crowded. :D

Ha ha you guys keep it!

My wife already booked us for a trip to the Ft. Myers boat show in November, since the family has a place on Sanibel Island.

My friend is in Ft Myers, been over there it is beautiful area

Do it Dave!!!!!! I like the gulf side. That is where more of the Midwestern folks go. NY/east coast folks tend to stay on the Atlantic side.

Yup, if you like unending traffic, congestion, and endless crowds by all means - move to the FL west coast. It leaves more privacy for us east coasters. Personally, we are about 15 miles inland from the Atlantic. Our boat is on the St. John's river which is a boaters and fisher mans paradise. From where we keep our boat, we have about 200 miles of River to navigate, and access to Lake George, Lakr Monroe, Beresford Lake, and many others. We can go north on the St. John all the way to Jacksonville. Also easy trailer to the East, and the Indian River and the Intracoastal. Yes, we have alligators, but those exist in most deep South states.

By comparison, we are renting a lake house in Connecticut for this July. It's the third largest lake in the state, and what I am experiencing with boat traffic here makes me happy NOT to be based here. Plus, I look at all the docks, lifts, floats, etc that are in the lake, and just thinking about the fact that ALL of those need to come out of the water every year in fall makes me cringe. 

As an ex Connecticut resident (lived here 30 years, owned a thriving business, great house, and tons of toys) I can tell you that my wallet likes the fact that we sold the business, property, and retired to our FL home and became FL residents. Everything, other than car insurance, is cheaper down here. 

We have a son with family in Charleston. He is quite successful, and living in a prime part of Charleston right on the tidal marsh. We love that area, but the cost to live there compared to FL makes our choice of FL a real good choice. Besides, it's only 5.5 hours for us to visit each other, which we do frequently. Kind of the best of two worlds. Just my two cents, but it works for us!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back