Lake Murrey SC

highpond

Reaction score
Visited one of the Ville's at Draeher  Island Camp Ground yesterday What a beautiful set up. The Villas have just been renovated, new everything. Wife and I will be staying there next Wed to Fri.. Bringing Benny There's a dock there for 4 boats. A few years ago we camped there but since then the state has improved the sites and it brings back memories of when we camped. Looking forward to some good boating on a BIG lake. May even see some other Benny's while we're there

You will see tons of Benny's here! It almost looks like a Benny Only lake.

We will be out both days, if you see a black Benny and some fool flying a RC plane behind it, it's us :)

BTW: Least expensive fuel on the lake is Jake's Landing (near the dam, right hand side traveling towards it, last cove before the dam). They used to offer a cash discount too, not sure of they still do.

Happy boating!

Steve

Hey Steve,

Looking forward to the stay. Gas at the store as we enter the park is $3.65 for non ethanol Cheaper than I can get here in Spartanburg.

My neighbor flies RC planes he has a P-51 71" wing span Some kind of plane.

Thanks for the tip on gas.

Hope to see you on the lake next week.

On the water isn't that good... Jake's Landing is $4.30, if you buy 20 gallons or more and pay cash it's $4.10 a gallon, Putnam's Landing (very near Dreher Island) is $5.20 a gallon and the owner is a little crazy, the big marinas are at $5.00

I have many RC planes, from small foam planes, turbine jets (not edf), planes up to 106" wing spans with twin cylinder gas engines. Love that hobby!

Photo of my only float plane...59" wing, all foam, easy to fly off the Benny.

Steve

beaver.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, what manufacturer and model is the float plane?

Columbia/Lexington is fortunate to have such a fine lake close by.

My buddy has a 7 rotor drone with a camera mounted on the bottom.  He's having a ball with it photographing properties for sale.  My brother in law got bored with RC planes and went onto RC helicopters.  Good, clean hobby.

Steve, what manufacturer and model is the float plane?
Flyzone Beaver Select, at Tower Hobbies. That link is the RTF, you may also buy it TxR

It flies very well on 2200mah 3s batteries, hard aerobatic flying about 5 minutes, cruising beside the boat and over the engine about 9-10 minutes at 18-20mph.

Steve

Columbia/Lexington is fortunate to have such a fine lake close by.

My buddy has a 7 rotor drone with a camera mounted on the bottom.  He's having a ball with it photographing properties for sale.  My brother in law got bored with RC planes and went onto RC helicopters.  Good, clean hobby.
I played with helicopters for a while, really liked the 3d flying the planes do and *a lot less* maintenance. Also like the 200mph jets, gets your heart pumping.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

I.ve been to the air show at Woodruff SC a couple of times. They have some big units there. From large commercial types, single engine, military, Jets, Choppers and in one area float planes.  The venders are in full stride It's a great take in if you enjoy that hobby.

I.ve been to the air show at Woodruff SC a couple of times. They have some big units there. From large commercial types, single engine, military, Jets, Choppers and in one area float planes.  The venders are in full stride It's a great take in if you enjoy that hobby.
Oh yea, the Joe Nall (the Nall), the largest RC flying event in the entire world. Had over 1400 pilots this year. It is one sweet event! I have attended for the past eight years.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Missed the last 2 years but have enjoyed in the past. Saw the big C131 go into the woods What a   shame.. The owner of the Strip lost his Bi Plane this past year went thru his hanger he's go some nice looking planes.

Missed the last 2 years but have enjoyed in the past. Saw the big C131 go into the woods What a   shame.. The owner of the Strip lost his Bi Plane this past year went thru his hanger he's go some nice looking planes.
Yea the PT-17 that crashed at Triple Tree was one of Pat Hartness former planes. He had sold it and replaced it with an almost identical PT-17 which still sleeps in that same hangar. The one he sold was to a gentleman in the area and he still flew into Triple Tree from time to time.

I believe at some point it came out the pilot was practicing crop dusting techniques and clip a tree top. It's hard to believe the pilot and passenger escaped completely unharmed.... well maybe not their pride.

Here are photos of the crash on fb

Steve

Got to Lake Murry last Wed. & Thur. It was beautiful. did some on lake site seeing, swimming, met some nice folks at the beach.(There's only a few swimming spots for such a big lake) It does get crowed in the afternoon and with the younger people they love their LOUD music. Going back next Wed for a couple more days, but this time the Kids will be back in school so it should be a little more to us old folks liking. The Villas we beautiful They have a nice pier to tie up to. Takes 4 boats. Hey StevL didn't see any RC planes so I guess we missed you. Did see a couple with a 2550 blue at the beach. Got the drift that either he or she was a Dr. Look for you next Wed or Thur. 

Russ

I'll be on the look out, not sure which evening we will be out.

Steve

SteveL

Did our thing at the lake for the last 3 days. Man the HEAT was on, 100+. Great swimming, beautiful boating, but the sun was something else. After spending over $2k to get the motor straightened out last spring it ran like a champ. Put on over 50 miles,  took time to eat at a newly opened restaurant and I can't say enough about the Villa's at Dreher Is. camp grounds. Hope to do it again next year.

Russ

Glad you enjoyed your visit! Come back soon and often! Lake is awesome in September and October .... Come play.

It has been hot, we have been going out early evening and enjoying the Carolina sunsets.

Steve

Sorry we didn't hook up Steve. we were at the beach near Lunch Is. 2 out of three days.  Maybe next year, we're figuring on a 4 day stay. Have you seen the mansion across the bay from the ranger office/store? That is some kind of place. Wonder who the owner is.?

Russ

You need to go on a house tour with us, many homes over 10,000 sq feet. Only problem is you need to go all over the lake to see them. We can spend the afternoon sight seeing then dinner somewhere on the water. Our treat.

Steve

Over the last 5 years we've covered a good part of the lake. We RV'd. at Dreher and had a Bentley there for sight seeing, and saw sooooooo many of the 10k' homes. it's amazing how so many people have that kind of money. My wife and I worked, but we  never came close to buying anything over 2k'. We couldn't pay the property taxes on the garage let alone the house. The "Big Cream Colored House" at the point across from the camp grounds is something as well. Is that yours?  Be glad to take you up on the trip but it'll have to wait until next year. I'll be in touch.

Back