Larger Bennington boat cleats

Sounds like we married twins. Mine would have said "You only got the front two done in ______hours?" The new ones look great. I'm surprised it rolled out of the factory with those little ones.
One of the first things I noticed when I got this boat was how little the cleats were.....all I could think was "Why on EARTH would they put such little/dinky cleats on such a huge pontoon boat????"

Keith, how did the PB Blaster work out? Steve
Like you said, needs lots of elbow grease but it worked good...thanks for the tip.

I still cannot figure out how to remove these rear dock cleats so I thought I would take some additional photos so you can see how there is NOT any bolts/nuts to remove from below....at least not without removing something. I find it hard to believe that Bennington themselves can't even figure this out.

gallery_300_298_2283446.jpg

gallery_300_298_68118.jpg

gallery_300_298_1279786.jpg

gallery_300_298_962557.jpg

You can see that there is a small area in between there but that space is NOT directly under where the cleat itself would be. So obviously something has to be removed to get to the bolts that remove the cleat.

Keith, mine doesn't have that metal piece under the cleat. I think it's because you have an I/O. Have you tried unbolting it?

I started to remove one of those bolts but it sure doesn't look like that's the answer because again, that is not directly under where the cleats are.....so I don't see what that would do. However, since I see nothing else that really looks like the only option.

Mine are exactly like yours and I have looked at them extensively since you've been trying to remove them......I'll stop by the shop at the marina this Friday after we get the boat from the storage yard and show it to the guys. They'll figure it out.......

Mine are exactly like yours and I have looked at them extensively since you've been trying to remove them......I'll stop by the shop at the marina this Friday after we get the boat from the storage yard and show it to the guys. They'll figure it out.......
I would be VERY grateful if you could do that and they figure it out. I would really like to get this all done before my big summer trip the middle of next month. Thanks in advance.

Keith, my '05 doesn't have that extra piece either. I looked at mine and you can get to the nuts easily from underneath. I don't know what that extra piece is but that is what is blocking your access.....I think. Steve

So where are your nuts located so Keith can try to find his? Haha, just read this to myself, that's funny stuff. But seriously, are your nuts facing out or up? Like into the decking or into the corner cleat. Wow, that whole thing sounds bad.

So where are your nuts located so Keith can try to find his? Haha, just read this to myself, that's funny stuff. But seriously, are your nuts facing out or up? Like into the decking or into the corner cleat. Wow, that whole thing sounds bad.
You're missing point....there are no nuts/bolts exposed at ALL that you can see. Obviously something has to be removed first.

Keith, after even more studying of your pics, I would think that piece of bent metal would need to be unbolted to access the nuts. It appears to be very long and I think access to those nuts would be prohibitive. My solution...Drill a few holes in the metal where you know the cleat nuts are and take a metal-cutting saw of some sort and cut out the very end, it should only take a couple of inches to be able to get to the cleat nuts. If you have to get a level and make where the clearance point would be and I don't think the small amount of removed metal would hurt the structural integrity. Just my opinion. Steve

No Keith, YOU'RE missing the point. I was simply saying that at the moment, you have no idea where the nuts are correct? So if he can tell you where his nuts are, then at least you know where you need to get access to. THAT'S my point.

No Keith, YOU'RE missing the point. I was simply saying that at the moment, you have no idea where the nuts are correct? So if he can tell you where his nuts are, then at least you know where you need to get access to. THAT'S my point.
Wow....nothing like being polite about it.

The feeling is mutual.

Woosaaa!!! Or however that is spelled from Bad Boys. Take it easy guys or I'll have to step in and make you cyber hug it out!

It was just a misunderstanding. Derrick and I have been messaging back and forth since then and it's all worked out.

Yup, all worked out, misunderstanding .

Looking at the underside photos it looks like that additional metal is attached midship with fasteners or am I seeing things? I would loosen those and see if there is enough play to get a socket in there after that. I'm shocked Bennington cannot advise how this goes together. It's not like you have an old steam powered boat from the 1800's

Back