Launching

Jbabs6

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2017 tritoon
How deep does the water have to be to launch the thing ?

Pay close attention to your engine tilt, and you can launch in less water than you think. People push away from beaches and unload at ramps with really shallow water all the time.

Really shallow - like couple feet ?

I heard you can launch these in less water than a normal boat

At least as deep as your trailer bunks … ;)

Yes. From a trailer on a boat launch
If you back down the ramp and your trailer tires are underwater and your boat floats off..... You should be good to go!

Ok- have never even seen a pontoon or tritoon launched before. That’s why I asked

Most common free floating pontoons will have the rear of the tubes half way under water. However when on the trailer launching on a ramp having little slope the rear of the tubes might be 75% to 90% submerged before the motor can drag the boat off the trailer. Plan on about 2 feet of water. Obviously when doing so the motor must be tilted up. Boat ramps with little slope might require a scissors style trailer.

Most common free floating pontoons will have the rear of the tubes half way under water. However when on the trailer launching on a ramp having little slope the rear of the tubes might be 75% to 90% submerged before the motor can drag the boat off the trailer. Plan on about 2 feet of water. Obviously when doing so the motor must be tilted up. Boat ramps with little slope might require a scissors style trailer.
Posted the pick. It’s got slope. We just put the ramp in couple weeks ago. If ya only need couple feet of water I should be fine.

Based on that picture the shore is also quite shallow and rocky, so you might need to back the trailer past the end of the ramp a looong way before hitting deeper water to float it off.

Yeah. Water is always down this time of year. It will be way up for boating season

Beautiful. Would love to own property on the St. Lawrence west of Clayton, to be able to run the lake on calm days. Great smally fishing up there.

Oh yeah. I built a place right on the lake. Bass boats out front all summer long. Great smally fishing for sure.
Planning on doing some off this tritoon boat.

What kind of snot can tritooners run up there? Down here we get the occasional 3-4'ers but the wave period tends to be more tightly spaced so it's not a big deal or overly dangerous if you're keeping your wits about you. Up on the lake I image you're seeing 5+ quite a bit.

Looks like it's rolling now up there:

0C0C7A3A-D3FD-457F-9AAE-5E63C9ECCF7E.jpeg

That location is literally just about where I am. This lake can get nasty but also tons of calm days during boating season.
Can’t leave anything in the water around here as the lake will chew it up.
I’ll only launch when it’s calm. We live here so takes 10min to launch. They rolling decent as we speak

Back