LED Heads up

Buckman

Reaction score
Hi Guys. Just a heads up here on the RGB 5050 LEDs we are all putting on our Bennys. I have pulled them all off of everything we own due to our recent discovery. We had them on the Benny as well as on our toy hauler and this past weekend we noted the color was 'off' on the toy hauler. Last night we got around to pulling them off with the intention of replacing them and found this (see pictures) Highly doubt there will be any put back up.

Damn. Glad no more damage or personal injury took place.

Damn. Glad no more damage or personal injury took place.
So true! The area that is on the inside of that camper is right on the bunk where our kids sleep! This could have been a huge disaster!

Considered putting these on ours but never did, glad I didn't.

Thanks for the post.

Thanks for the heads up! Do you mind sharing the make or model# of those LEDs?

Hate to ask it, but were these cheap Chinese led's ??

There's been numerous articles on ALL kinds of electronics being made cheap oversees ..... Phone chargers especially ..... And having issues like this.

Glad it only did the damage it did ..... That could have been a much scarier situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd also be curious about how long they have been in service, and if cut, were the ends sealed? I'm noticing that the copper connections in Buckman's pics are showing signs of darkening or tarnish; I'm guessing from humidity. When the strips are sent from the factory, they are in meticulously sealed envelopes with silica gel packets enclosed. When I opened mine, and I bought 3 packs of 16.5 foot lengths, each released an overpowering aroma of fresh silicone. I am now thinking that the strips are packed this way because the strips while waterproofed to varying degrees are highly susceptible to tarnish or corrosion which can lead to circuit shorts and failures. In fact, I have a remnant, where I did not seal the ends and I now notice all throughout the foot long strip the copper pads are darkened. And the strips I have are not just silicone coated, they are coated then again encased in a rigid silicone sleeve. So this darkening, tarnish, perhaps 'pre-corrosion' is cause for concern on my part I assure you. I plan to go back and inspect all strips, and to do so on a regular basis. I am also re-thinking the placement of my strips. My intentions are to ensure placement of the strips (yes, I am at a point where I will not remove them) is such that if a short occurs, it will not spread or harm other wiring. I know all of my existing wiring to controllers and amplifiers is fused, and fused at low thresholds, so my concern is focused more on where are the strips themselves are mounted. And I will admit, as of now my existing mounting of the strips is not such that a short would not harm other wiring. So, once again Buckman, thanks for the heads up.

I got the Ice Blue Mood lights for the SL21

Who wouldn't love the look

Hope it goes well without any problems

It will be a Bennington Factory Install

92487028.jpg

Not the norm if you buy quality, I have all LED available and I had the Marina look at that after seeing this post last July.  He said I have no concern and in fact he is putting in some additional strips under the seats to light the floor a little more 

altho I don't have LED lighting on my BENNI, I went to the marinebeam,com website and read the idiots guide to marine LED for yachts. very good info for the LED lighting. I think derrick or someone posted this also last year, so good info for our new Benni friends.

UD-lights_anchor_animation.gif

I do love the LED look 

I took the Ice Blue lights for Mood Lighting on the Benny

May have more installed if all goes well this season 

Just took delivery on a 20 ft SFX and bought two strips of solar powered LEDs for the rails. Hoping I don't have the same problem
Or you could have the dealer do it and not have any worries

I sealed all the open ends after cutting to size with epoxy. I also sealed the ends I soldered the leads onto with epoxy and then covered with shrink tubbing. I have had no issues yet. I also had these on my old pontoon for several years and had no issues with the same process. There are some very good instructional videos and information on the internet. It is important to use the correct wiring and not overload circuits.

Back