Lift lube

sparkdr220

Reaction score
Has anyone hear lubricated their shore station? I'm looking for a spray lube to get into the tight spots. My lift won't lower without weight on it.

Has anyone hear lubricated their shore station? I'm looking for a spray lube to get into the tight spots. My lift won't lower without weight on it.
I'm not a pro on lifts, but I would say get your lift checked out. Sounds to me like something is binding or mis-aligned, or at the very least needs a maintanence check up, and should be addressed first.

Lubricating it will only prolong the inevitable ...... FAILURE ....... just my 2 cents.

Not a bad idea but I am sure it's just gunked up. We are on a mud bottom river and our jet ski lift did the same thing last year. I replaced the pullys and it's good as new. We had trouble with the cable snapping. The gunk puts added stress on the joints. I used a marine lubricant on the jet ski lift and it just appeared to add to the gunk. I was reading  an on line owners manual that you are supposed to keep it lubed but no mention of the type of lubricant.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wouldn't hurt to give everything a once over. I had a cable snap on my lift while the boat was on it and it is nerve racking. Luckily it was a leveling cable and not the main. Good luck figuring it out.

Had a buddy with a 40' SS boat on the lift, and lift did not stop going up. Not a pretty sight. He's still fighting marina on repair cost to boat. Defective lift but sign says "Do not walk away" till stopped. He walked, it didn't ...... OUCH !!!!

Mine has a limit switch on it for that reason and the remote will allow you to say "full up" and walk away. I have NEVER used that feature, having personally replaced a lot of failed microswitches in my career.

"Hello Lift, I need you to raise the boat, fuel it up, and two coats of wax please" TomS

I'm still waiting on Derricks comment about "Lifting Lube" .................

Once he's done using it on his dock he'll be on here.

Last edited by a moderator:
One day I'd like to get a tour of your place Tom. It seems like everything you do, you do it big! I'm jealous!

One day I'd like to get a tour of your place Tom. It seems like everything you do, you do it big! I'm jealous!
Not really that way honestly. I either do it right, after studying it to death, or do without. I also try get my money's worth out of stuff.

I still have a Sony XBR 36" tube tv, 200+ lbs, in my LR at the lake house if that tells you anything. Bought it in 1999 for $2400 when we built the house and it just won't die.

To the OP, the lift tube pulleys on my hydraulic SS started squealing like a pig this fall, after just one season. I shot some lithium grease in there and it toned it down quite a bit, though still not right. The dealer took a video of it, sent it off to ShoreStation and they said the gray pulley material was actually defective, so they'll be replaced in the off season. Our water is really clean though, no trash gets into mine at all. There have evidently been some pulley failures.

I'm learning to research a lot more which will hopefully save some headaches down the road.

As for the lift glad they are going to get it taken care of. I'm going to need one before next season as we sold ours when the boat was sold. It didn't have the capacity needed for the new one.

But back to the question at hand on this post, I'll assume this is a vertical lift so there are leveling cables and some pulleys to deal with. I'd take it apart this off season and clean everything up and inspect. My vertical lift went up and down like a charm. I replaced the nylon guides, a cable and it would go down with no weight on it at all. It was starting to get a little jumpy going down so I sprayed the winch with some lube and it cured the issue (Don't worry I stayed away from the brake discs)

Thanks for all of the input. I talked with a service tech who said you can just use standard grease. I have used white lithium in the past and was not happy with the results. The grease coupled with the murkey water made a gunky combo. Today I used WD40 to penetrate and clean out the muck. The lift already moves up and down freely. I will let that dry out a bit in the sun and then try a different brand of white lithium grease. I will post the results.

I actually used some sort of special marine grease for trailers but it was similar to the white lithium stuff I've used before. WD40 and similar products will wash right out of there, but I'm glad to hear it worked for you.

I use a synthetic grease from Tractor Supply that was recommended on 2 Guys Garage. I use it on everything and it won't wash out and doesn't dry out. I think it's called "the best grease ever".

I use a synthetic grease from Tractor Supply that was recommended on 2 Guys Garage. I use it on everything and it won't wash out and doesn't dry out. I think it's called "the best grease ever".

Is it spray-on? We don't remove our lift in the winter so taking it apart to apply grease is not an option.

No, it's a cartridge that goes in a grease gun. All the lube points on our lift have zerk fittings. I couldn't find that particular grease on their website but any syn grease is good. Much better than dino.

Back