Lifting strakes on 21SLX

Dan S

Reaction score
I have a 21 SLX, 2 tube, under sheeting, with strakes, cable steering, and a 115 HP Yamaha on order. I've read some very negative things on this forum and elsewhere about strakes on the outside of the toons. Things like it steers too flat, won't lean at all in a turn, too hard to steer, and of course the story on this forum of the one that went over - we've all seen the photo. Supposedly the outside strake caught the water and over it went in a high speed turn. I've got maybe 24-36 hours to delete these from my build, maybe. I'm an experienced boater but this is my first pontoon. Quick opinions please.

One other question. Does anyone have any real engineering data or conversation with Bennington as to wether or not open or sealed really matter other than for salt water?

Dan, I'm still waiting on delivery of my first pontoon, so I don't speak from experience. I have read some of the same things you're concerned about. I think flat turns are inherent to having just 2 toons. As for the outer strakes, I'm not sure that they would even come into play while turning, since the 2 toon doesn't lean to the inside, anyway. Have you given any thought to getting the twin tube elliptical? I think that would really get the most out of the 115, though it would still turn flat.

It will turn flat with or without strakes. Only having two toons there is nothing to pivot off of to bank in turns. I think it would be a mistake not to order them.

To Lakeliving: is your boat a twin toon? I couldn't tell from your boat description. Does it ever feel squirrely or scary in more aggressive turns when you're 'at speed'?

To Tomspo04: Did you order twin tubes? yes, I considered ellipticals but I want to use my friends' scissor trailer which reduces my overall acquisition cost.

It was on my 2013 boat that I had two 25" toons with lifting strakes. I sold that boat and bought a 2014 with sps  and the 200. When I had the 2013 I didn't feel like I was going to roll it or anything.

To Lakeliving: Duh! Your pic shows triple tube. Sorry for the stupid question.

Lakeliving - so I assume then that you like them, found them useful and they never made you feel uncomfortable in terms of handling? What model and motor did you have? Thanks

I had a 22sslx with a Yamaha 115. I liked them and for me it took it from a barge, to a fast barge! I had no regrets with the strakes. Turned out we had bigger friends who like to boat and we needed more power. The 22 had a max rating of 115 hp so we were forced into a bigger boat at the time. With a 115 you're not going to flip the boat in a turn. The motor will big down well before that happens.

Lakeliving again. Why did you change from a twin tube with strakes after only one year of ownership? problem or just wanting more speed?

thanks

Just purchase a 22 SLX with elipticals with a 150 Yamaha in November love the ride and speed as well. As far as the turning part of the boat, it is almost like a Ski Nautique she lays flat in the turn and the G force is extremly strong depending on the speed.

Wanted better speed and handling. We are a growing family and love water sports. I didn't do enough research before buying and really didn't understand our needs until we were on the water.

Just purchase a 22 SLX with elipticals with a 150 Yamaha in November love the ride and speed as well. As far as the turning part of the boat, it is almost like a Ski Nautique she lays flat in the turn and the G force is extremly strong depending on the speed.
Do you have the strakes?  What top speed have you seen?  What size prop?  Our new boat is under 8" of snow and it won't be on the water till April.

Lakeliving again. Why did you change from a twin tube with strakes after only one year of ownership? problem or just wanting more speed?

thanks
It called P.A.D.s :D

Strakes on both sides of each tube. Top speed GPS is about 43 MPH, not really sure about the prop size, it came on the motor from the dealer, I am sure it is nothing special.

To Tomspo04: Did you order twin tubes? yes, I considered ellipticals but I want to use my friends' scissor trailer which reduces my overall acquisition cost.
Dan, I ordered the 22 SSX with SPS and F150. I take delivery next Friday.

Dan S:  With any two toon boat, the outside toon will dig into the water during a tight turn. The additional drag of the outside toon will make the boat slow down more than if was a 3 toon boat.  When you straighten out the boat, it'll accelerate back to the original speed.

Boats with lifting strakes perform good when the nosecones rise out of the water--reducing drag.  To get the front end up, you have to throw the throttle to them and raise the motor with the power trim.  In a straight line, a straked 2 toon boat will be slightly faster than a 3 toon boat due to less weight and drag.  

Each boat has their pros and cons.  A 25" toon boat with strakes and 115 hp will be very efficient and the price will be right.  Next step up would be the Express Tube tritoon which gives maybe 80-90% of the benefits of the SPS hull which is more expensive.  The Express Tube has strakes on the middle toon and it'll get the nosecones out of the water easily.  Either Express tube or SPS will handle much better than the 2 toon w/strakes. The Elliptical Tube boats are very fast (more buoyancy) in a straight line and a little expensive--but handling is slightly less than 3 toon boats.

If you're going to be tubing or pulling skiers, look at the Express Tube or SPS hull.  You won't be sorry.

Bamaman, great explanation. I'll probably stay with two tubes and strakes. Our intent is to pick up a Seadoo for tubing and skiing - which we don't do a lot of as our kids are past that for the most part. I want some straight line speed, and better handling if there's some chop and it sounds like the strakes will help on both accounts. Will the strakes on the outside of the tunes create any weird issues when turning at modest or high speed? Any thoughts on prop pitch for this set-up? Thanks again.

I think I was running a 13 or 14 pitch aluminum with my 115.

Back