Looking for advice...looking at 22 SSRX!

Gregoire

Reaction score
Hello! First time pontoon owner (almost!). Have 2 kids...(3&6)...and think the 22 SSRX looks like a good layout. Looking at one with a Yamaha 115, and express tube. We are going to be on a decent size lake (40km shoreline)...and will probably use it for cruising, fishing, and tubing. Thoughts about what I should be looking for? Is this engine the right one? Etc...

You will find many of us on this forum love to spend other people's money. Now with the disclaimer out of the way..... If you can afford it I would go with the Yamaha 150. It has proven to be very reliable and will be better for tubing. Others will certainly chime in.

You will find many of us on this forum love to spend other people's money. Now with the disclaimer out of the way..... If you can afford it I would go with the Yamaha 150. It has proven to be very reliable and will be better for tubing. Others will certainly chime in.
Ha! I'm good at spending other people's money too! Just not my own. ;-) thanks for your comment.

I was looking at a similar boat but made the (good) mistake of taking my wife to the dealer to pick out a color. We ended up with a significant upgrade!

There are just SOOOO many different layouts and motor configs...how is someone supposed to choose just one? :) I love to research, bit this is a bit much...

I got a 21 SSRCX with the 115 last fall. We use it for just cruising and sand bars. We have another boat for skiing/tubing. If I did not have the other boat, I would have gone with 150 or more. As Jb75 said, kids only get bigger and you’ll want the horse power sooner than later. Also get the under deck wave shield, that will help the ride as well.

We had a 24SLi with a 115hp motor, with just the standard pontoons. Boat would run 28mph when pontoons were totally clean and with a light load. Full load with dirty (normal) pontoons and the boat would be around 20mph. You could tube and do everything you wanted, but it was not ideal for water sports. I would guess you will have slightly better performance with the express tube.

That said, I just bought a 21SF with SPS and 150hp. Not done with the break-in but have seen speeds of 38-39mph with significant improvement in handling.

I would suggest the 150hp engine so you at least have the capability to have all current and future expectations met.

Will you be happy with the 115hp, probably? Will you be happy 5 + years down the road? Maybe, but you will begin to explore other options once the kids are bigger, more stuff is accumulated, friends come along, etc.

If I had to do it over, I'd probably do it the same. I couldn't or maybe didn't want to afford the 150hp SPS 7 years ago, so I got what met our needs and our budget.

If you decide to upgrade in the future it will cost you more overall - thats a guarantee.

SPS+150 HP minimum is a must. In my opinion,
I also see the extended aft deck a must as well if you have young children like I do. Without the extended deck, the transducer mount on the pontoon extends beyond the back deck so if one of your young children jumps off the back deck and doesn’t jump out far enough, they could get cut/scraped by the transducer mount. Again just my opinion but my kids are 2,4,5 so this was an important upgrade when we purchased.

So many tough (AND EXPENSIVE) decisions when ordering a pontoon. Budget concern aside, the advice on an SPS hull, 150 hp motor, wave shield, and extended aft deck all play into your intended uses as your kids grow.

Whether that all fits in a budget is another matter. It all gets so expensive, so fast.

What did you end up getting?

Ended up buying a 23 SSBXP with SPS, 150 hp, and ultra legs. Lots of other upgrades and bling also. I was trying to be budget minded through the shopping process but my wife had the "buy your first boat last" mentality. She really liked the swingback layout and we got a smoking deal on a 2019 factory/dealer demo with 8 5 hours sold as new. I couldn't be happier. We're scheduled for delivery next week.

I had a 22 sslx with two toons and a a 115. Sold it after three months and bought one with the sps configuration and a Yamaha 200. So glad we have what we have now as it fits our needs perfectly. The two boats are light years apart on handling and performance

Ended up buying a 23 SSBXP with SPS, 150 hp, and ultra legs. Lots of other upgrades and bling also. I was trying to be budget minded through the shopping process but my wife had the "buy your first boat last" mentality. She really liked the swingback layout and we got a smoking deal on a 2019 factory/dealer demo with 8 5 hours sold as new. I couldn't be happier. We're scheduled for delivery next week.
I love the swing back but figure with a 3 yr old, maybe not wise at this point for me. Thanks for your response!

We have a three year old. He’s been on the boat since he was less than a week old! He knows what he can and can’t do and that includes climbing on our rear lounger while we’re under way. Plus, your child won’t be three forever unfortunately. They grow quick.

I love the swing back but figure with a 3 yr old, maybe not wise at this point for me. Thanks for your response!

Our girls are teenagers so it's not an issue. We're getting the guard rail on the back to make it legal though. No matter what layout you get you'll have to supervise the little peeps closely.

“Buy your last boat first,” as many on this forum will attest it really is cheaper that way. We love our 150 with SPS and extended aft deck. We have 8 grands 1-13 and they used to say go faster Papa, but no longer. Great for cruising. Tubing, kneeboarding etc. Welcome to the forum!

We have the swingback design (22SSBXP) and I wouldn't now want a pontoon without it. There is a safety gate on the swingback that closes off the back lounge area if you are trying to keep young children or pets out of there. I opted for the standard 2 toon hull and a 90hp only because my lake is 90% no wake, so water sports don't play a huge part in how we use the boat. But it sounds like you want to do a lot of tubing and perhaps skiing along with fast cruising, so the SPS hull and a 150hp (or higher) is the way to go if your budget allows.

Back