Looking for boating spots

newboater

Reaction score
I am new to boating and just ordered a 2012 2275 GCW. However, I have now idea where to go when I get it. Any ideas of good boating spots in northern Illinois. I know we have the rivers but I am looking for some good lakes. Northern Illinois, southern wisconsin, northern Indiana?

I have been looking for years for a lake to call my own, the rivers can be bad depending upon the weather. It seems that all lakes that i want to go to are private. Lake Koshkonog just north of Janesville WI is pretty good.

Hey New Boater, where are you located in NI. I lived in Rockford for 30 yrs. Moved out to KC 23 yrs ago.

Not alot of choices for boating in your immediate area unless you want to go out on Lake Michigan. Also I guess The Chain would be an option but I've heard it can get pretty crowded.

You could try the chain. If you do you need to get a Fox Waterway sticker to avoid getting a ticket. It is very busy on weekends. I would recomend weekdays. The chain is dubbed "The Key West of the Mid West". We have taken many trips up and down the river and it's never boring. Lots of wild life. Last week we saw an Osprey. If you make the trip the levels are low right now so make sure to stay in between the channel markers and carefully monitor your depth gauge.

Back