Looking for my first 'New to Me' Benny - Performance Question

sek-hunter

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals! I am looking to purchase a Bennington Pontoon before next spring.... I love the Swingback floorplan, but also like the older GCW and RCW with the rear loungers. I spent last weekend on a buddy's 2275 GCW and really liked it. His boat is equipped with 2 toons (not eliptical, no strakes, no under skin) and a Mercury 150 four stroke. With four average size adults, full of fuel, and the top up, 27 GPS was about all we could get out of it. Does this sound about right? I was expecting more like 30 or better? Not sure if the toons are dirty or if that is about par for the course with two toons?

I ask that because I have located two boats that I like very much.

Boat number 1 is a 2375 RCW with a 150 Honda. It only has two toons, but has lifting strakes.

Boat number 2 is a 2275 GCW with a 150 Yamaha SHO. It is a tri-toon.

Both boats are equally priced. I like the first a little better because it is an R, but I like the performance aspect of the other.

I have looked high and low for some speed numbers for a boat this size with a 150 with two toons vs three.

I know there are some VERY experienced folks on here that can help me out. How much top speed difference would you guess there would be between these two boats?

I know the tritoon will 'handle' better. That isn't a deal breaker for the two toon with me.

I'm not into running 50mph all day on the lake anyhow. Our current boat is a Crownline runabout. We generally cruise at 24-26 mph. I'd like to find a pontoon boat that will cruise 20-23mph without being at WOT. Should either of these fit the bill...?

If you have a similar set up to either of these, please chime in. Both of these are pretty respectably priced and are in great condition. I'd like to move on one if I could decide.

Thanks a lot!!!

If you want more than 30 mph you do need a tri, with one or two people your friends top end if perfect conditions would be 29-30.

My previous boat was a 2014 ,23 RCWSA with a Mercury 150 and the SPS package .I hit 38 with clean toons and 2 people . Without the arch you should be in the 40's .

Definitely go with the tritoon.
It will perform and handle better, usually has more people/weight capacity, consume less fuel when on plane, and hold a better resale value over a bitoon.

Alas, it's your money and your preference. If you dig the R series more than the G series and it will meet all of your expectations and goals, then go with what your head and heart wants.

Thanks for the speedy info. I guess if the two toon had the eliptical pontoons, I’d be ok. Without, I’m probably going to be in the 25-28 mph range with the RCW, sound right?
I’m posting a pic of the RCW rear pontoon below. I’m guessing that it is not the eliptical version that appears to be synonymous with good speed. These appear to be cylindrical in shape?

F8FF0343-9AA6-463E-A9FC-FA584310C98C.png

Thanks for the speedy info. I guess if the two toon had the eliptical pontoons, I’d be ok. Without, I’m probably going to be in the 25-28 mph range with the RCW, sound right?
I’m posting a pic of the RCW rear pontoon below. I’m guessing that it is not the eliptical version that appears to be synonymous with good speed. These appear to be cylindrical in shape?

View attachment 27937

Correct - that is the twin 25" straked pontoon configuration.

Awesome, thanks. So I would expect to see top speeds of around 28-30 on this RCW and 37-38 out of the GCW with 3 logs? Sound close?

That's a very fair estimate.

Depending on conditions, the bitoon would probably fall between 25-32 and the tritoon 35-42.
The load (people, fuel, gear, etc) and the diameter/pitch of the prop will play a role for each of them, as well.

Just a quick mention: the usual go-to prop for a Yamaha 150-200 2.8L (standard or VMax) is the Reliance SDS stainless steel 14.5 diameter by 15 pitch.

Whichever one you choose, it may be worthwhile to negotiate in a second prop. There are no downsides to carrying a spare onboard, especially if you are on a larger BoW and get a ways away from shore.

Last edited:
Just a quick mention: the usual go-to prop for a Yamaha 150-200 2.8L (standard or VMax) is the Reliance SDS stainless steel 14.5 diameter by 15 pitch.

Whichever one you choose, it may be worthwhile to negotiate in a second prop. There are no downsides to carrying a spare onboard, especially if you are on a larger BoW and get a ways away from shore.

Good to know! I'll keep that in mind!
I just priced out a similar 2021 SCWX on the Bennington page.... Sure hope to find a nice 'previously loved' boat!
Thanks again.

Good to know! I'll keep that in mind!
I just priced out a similar 2021 SCWX on the Bennington page.... Sure hope to find a nice 'previously loved' boat!
Thanks again.
Keep in mind you should only pay between 70-85% of MSRP depending on where you live. Average discount now due to covid is closer to 20% off however. Just good to know when pricing a new one.

Keep in mind you should only pay between 70-85% of MSRP depending on where you live. Average discount now due to covid is closer to 20% off however. Just good to know when pricing a new one.

Depending on the area and size/volume of local dealer(s), the discount can even be nearing 33-40% off for the mid to upper series models, especially during the upcoming boat shows in the off-season.

Depending on the area and size/volume of local dealer(s), the discount can even be nearing 33-40% off for the mid to upper series models, especially during the upcoming boat shows in the off-season.
I agree on non current year models that they have still from prior years (2019-2020). I have not seen or heard of that discount on a ordered boat but I could be wrong. That would be a crazy good deal.

I agree on non current year models that they have still from prior years (2019-2020). I have not seen or heard of that discount on a ordered boat but I could be wrong. That would be a crazy good deal.

Strictly depends on the dealer. When I started looking at a lot of the various floor plans back in Feb/Mar, some of the larger dealers had 60+ Benny's in stock. Covid shutdown went full force and two months later, these same large dealers had less than ten in stock with many on backorder from the factory, and projecting Aug-Oct arrival timeframe just to start getting them in a handful at a time.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with dealers stock levels come the winter months.

I speculate that we may see a huge influx of lightly used boats hit the market over the next 1-3 years after the dust settles from the great pandemic boat rush of 2020 LOL.

Go with the tritoon! A tritoon will get up on plane and ride on top of the water. A pontoon just slogs through the water never getting on top. Makes sense?!?

I think your estimates above for speed projections on the two is reasonable. I would go tritoon every time. Handles better. Rides smoother. Goes faster. Holds more weight/people. Better fuel efficiency for same HP motors on the two different hulls. SO many advantages.

I speculate that we may see a huge influx of lightly used boats hit the market over the next 1-3 years after the dust settles from the great pandemic boat rush of 2020 LOL.

Along with RV’s. All the dealers around here are basically sold out. I’m looking for a 20’ under 3500#. Nothing out there. Guess I’ll be waiting till spring.

Back