Loungers or What

slinkyredfoot

Reaction score
My wife and I have bought a new BToon and were discussing the merits of lounger seats in the aft versus traditional seating with an extended swim platform or maybe both and all of the above. Heck the boat is ordered and she has second thoughts about not getting the loungers. Well to me I like the standard seating. Any thoughts or comments anyone out there? I am happy with what we ordered.

Slinky, We have the loungers and love it. If we had the traditional layout, I am sure we would love that too. I agree with lakebum. I wouldn't second guess it at this time and enjoy the heck out of your Bennington when it comes in.

I understand the buyers remorse, I have felt the same way except it was over color and the toon setup. I have not received my boat yet but I have reached a point that I know I will be happy with my new Bennie and i am sure you will too.

Last edited by a moderator:
We recently ordered a new Bennington and are getting the loungers. We are very excited about them in fact that is one of the main reasons for us to order a new pontoon. I think that we will enjoy them even if we are just chill-in at our dock. B)

I think the loungers are great, but you need to really think about how you will be using the boat. I purchased a 2010 gcw with the loungers because we fell in love with them at first sight. However, after we got the boat on the water with all the kids and grandkids, no one used the loungers because they were facing the opposite direction and felt left out of the conversations. They ended up being a catch all spot for life jackets and such. After two years, we traded our boat in on a 2010 rli demo with the conventional seating and we all now enjoy the boat so much more. Don't take me wrong, the loungers are great in the right application. The wife and I enjoyed them when it was just us two on the boat, but that was rare.

Now remember this is just my opinion, but I would really think about how you will be using the boat the majority of time.

No matter what, I can tell you that will enjoy the new Bennie. Best of luck

Thanks for the responses, I by no way have buyers remorse for the boat we have on order, and I also agree with the fact they face backwards and could be somewhat isolated from conversation and good cheer from the Captains helm, after all the Captain is the man and people could learn and need to talk with him, agreed? I like the comment from the Admiral about a laid back atmosphere from his pier on his loungers, I never really thought of this, see we can all learn from the Admiral or the Captain. Good comments here, I like hanging around.

, see we can all learn from the Admiral or the Captain. Good comments here, I like hanging around.
I've learned a few things from 'The Captain', Captain Morgan that is!!! Ahhhh that spiced rum!

Derrick

I too felt buyers remorse about not getting the loungers, I never considered the conversation aspects when we were not underway. Can't wait for my new Bennie to arrive. This is my first Bennie, after a long line of many pontoons, the last being an AquaPatio. Thanks for all the comments everyone.

The loungers are by far the most popular seats on the boat for us. We have had quite a mix of ages of folks on the boat. When our daugther and her teen friends are on they sit side by side and make their own hang out....if there is more then 5 or 6 of the we move them to the front of the boat and and adults get of the way to the lounge. When just my wife and I are out , we place the cooler/table between the loungers and you can't beat that spot for relaxing. We have also had grand parents and kids sit by side.

Buy it once and buy it right. I am going to differ with the opinions given here. If you like them, you will regret spending that kind of money on a boat and not getting what you want. It's personal taste, but frankly we have found no down side and we feel it is the best feature of the boat.

IMG_0241.jpg

As I've said in the past...the loungers are one of the many reasons why we bought our boat. We congregate at the back of the boat because we are in the water most of the time. Those on the boat (in the loungers) are definitely included in the conversation since they are in the line of sight unlike the traditional seating. For us it works out great. Congrats and Enjoy!

On my old boat, my engine is covered up by a full width lounge deck. I like how the engine is silenced under the deck, and there is plenty of storage for fuel tanks, electrics, etc.

But, my new Bennington will have rear lounge seats. Hopefully the new generation motors will be so much quieter that normal cruising will still be reasonably quiet.

It depends on your cruising speed but the wind will most likely interfere with conversations over the engine noise. My Yamaha F150 is very quiet.

We just ordered a 2275GCW with upgraded stern loungers thinking that we can sit both ways -- facing front or back or a couple of people can sit sideways as it's like a little couch with the addition seat backs all the way around. Just seems more practical to me than the open rails. We'll see if it works out that way.

We just ordered a 2275GCW with upgraded stern loungers thinking that we can sit both ways -- facing front or back or a couple of people can sit sideways as it's like a little couch with the addition seat backs all the way around. Just seems more practical to me than the open rails. We'll see if it works out that way.
BKM,

Congrats....We are also on Nolin Lake. You will love your Benny and yes with the upgraded loungers (wrap-around padding w/speakers) you can sit facing forward or two people can sit side by side per each lounger. We sit facing forward all of the time and it doesn't pose any problems. Hope to see ya on the lake in a couple of weeks (lake will hopefully be at summer pool). We launch at Wax and hang out around Turtle Cove which is past Dog Creek heading toward Ponderosa Marina behind the island. Congrats again.

BKM,

Congrats....We are also on Nolin Lake. You will love your Benny and yes with the upgraded loungers (wrap-around padding w/speakers) you can sit facing forward or two people can sit side by side per each lounger. We sit facing forward all of the time and it doesn't pose any problems. Hope to see ya on the lake in a couple of weeks (lake will hopefully be at summer pool). We launch at Wax and hang out around Turtle Cove which is past Dog Creek heading toward Ponderosa Marina behind the island. Congrats again.
Good to hear you are enjoying your upgraded loungers! I have two last debates going on...(1) should we get the double bimini? I know the standard double bimini mostly shades the front benches, but I have seen them both shifted back to cover more of the loungers. Have you seen that? If not the bimini, then what's the best way to get some shade over the lounges especially while sitting in dock? Have you heard of anyone using an umbrella back there or have you seen the little fly biminis that are made for boats? And (2)Should we get snap in carpet? Is it easier to keep clean?

We have friends up by Wax, but we are on the other end of the lake. Our cabin is in Paradise Peninsula south of Moutidier and just north of the dam. We hang out in Party Cove by the dam and also the "jumping rock" which is a 30ft high cliff just around the bend on the other side of the lake from us. Have you been there? Fun to watch the kids climb up there and then get up enough nerve to jump.

Water is coming up pretty quickly! We've been working on our dock, replacing some old flotation and staining the boards. Our boat is due in to the dealer on May 18, so we are hoping to have it in the water by Memorial Day weekend. Not sure if we'll put in our old pontoon before then or not. We need to clean it up and put it up for sale sometime.

Nice to meet you and hope to see you on the lake soon!

The double-lounger in the 24SSL was the main reason for ordering that boat. There is just the two of us, and we really are looking forward to laying out on the back together watching the world go by.

Good to hear you are enjoying your upgraded loungers! I have two last debates going on...(1) should we get the double bimini? I know the standard double bimini mostly shades the front benches, but I have seen them both shifted back to cover more of the loungers. Have you seen that? If not the bimini, then what's the best way to get some shade over the lounges especially while sitting in dock? Have you heard of anyone using an umbrella back there or have you seen the little fly biminis that are made for boats? And (2)Should we get snap in carpet? Is it easier to keep clean?

We have friends up by Wax, but we are on the other end of the lake. Our cabin is in Paradise Peninsula south of Moutidier and just north of the dam. We hang out in Party Cove by the dam and also the "jumping rock" which is a 30ft high cliff just around the bend on the other side of the lake from us. Have you been there? Fun to watch the kids climb up there and then get up enough nerve to jump.

Water is coming up pretty quickly! We've been working on our dock, replacing some old flotation and staining the boards. Our boat is due in to the dealer on May 18, so we are hoping to have it in the water by Memorial Day weekend. Not sure if we'll put in our old pontoon before then or not. We need to clean it up and put it up for sale sometime.

Nice to meet you and hope to see you on the lake soon!
BKM

I haven't seen the double bimini that you are talking about but I can tell you I wish I had a double bimini top. I inquired about the double bimini from my dealer (In Indiana) and he said they would have to replace my original top (which only shades the middle part of the boat) with a double bimini top at a cost of approx $1700. I know it's cheaper if you order it from the beginning. Also, if I had it to do over again I would choose the snap-in carpet. We love our boat but those are the two of three things I would change. The third being the electrical steering assist.

I know where Paradise Peninsula is located on the lake. We usually cruise down to the dam when we are out. We've anchored at the Party Cove by the dam several times. Sometimes we hang out at Furnace Cove by Moutidier as well. Jumping rock? Is that over by the state park? We've seen folk jump over there. Again, congrats on your boat.

BKM

I haven't seen the double bimini that you are talking about but I can tell you I wish I had a double bimini top. I inquired about the double bimini from my dealer (In Indiana) and he said they would have to replace my original top (which only shades the middle part of the boat) with a double bimini top at a cost of approx $1700. I know it's cheaper if you order it from the beginning. Also, if I had it to do over again I would choose the snap-in carpet. We love our boat but those are the two of three things I would change. The third being the electrical steering assist.

I know where Paradise Peninsula is located on the lake. We usually cruise down to the dam when we are out. We've anchored at the Party Cove by the dam several times. Sometimes we hang out at Furnace Cove by Moutidier as well. Jumping rock? Is that over by the state park? We've seen folk jump over there. Again, congrats on your boat.

Thanks for your feedback on the top and carpet. Tell me more about the steering system.

The jumping cliff I am talking about is in the last cove to the left before you get to the dam. As you enter you take the right fork and don't go quite to the end (where there is a small waterfall). It's about a 30 foot drop. Usually 4-5 boat loads of kids jumping and a few brave or drunk adults. :)

Back