"Marine Grade" Southern Yellow Pine For Boat Lift Beds?

Tooncrazy

Reaction score
After much fact checking I'm close to getting my boat lift fitted with three 2"X8"X14' untreated #1 grade Southern Yellow Pine planks for my new Bennington tri-toon?

Tonight I read some comments on boat lift contractor sites referring to using Marine Grade SYP on their lifts. Does anyone here know what this is?  Is it maybe a more dense wood or perhaps just marketing hype? Or is it something I need to use? 

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used two southern yellow pine 2 x 6's under each of my three toons--on my 11' x 19' rack.  I put a cross brace 3' from the front of the rack so I could use 16' wood and a 3' section to support the wood the whole 19' length.  My boat's 23.5' long, so the nose cones are all that's unsupported.

I'm surprised you've even found #1 grade wood.  I've never seen it in pine, and have never heard of marine grade wood.

The only time my rack (and the wood) is wet is when I'm out on the river.  That's just a few hours per week in the Summer.  I figure the pine will last for many, many years.  And when it deteriorates, I can replace the wood in an hour for very little money.

I am going with pressure treated southern yellow pine, don't see why that won't work.bunk lumber.png

I am going with pressure treated southern yellow pine, don't see why that won't work.
attachicon.gif
bunk lumber.png
Don't do that Scott, the chemicals used for pressure treating are corrosive and may damage your aluminum toons!

+1. I think I recall someone getting holes in their toons from the chemicals leaching from their trailer bunks. At least that's what their dealer claimed.

I used two southern yellow pine 2 x 6's under each of my three toons--on my 11' x 19' rack.  I put a cross brace 3' from the front of the rack so I could use 16' wood and a 3' section to support the wood the whole 19' length.  My boat's 23.5' long, so the nose cones are all that's unsupported.

I'm surprised you've even found #1 grade wood.  I've never seen it in pine, and have never heard of marine grade wood.

The only time my rack (and the wood) is wet is when I'm out on the river.  That's just a few hours per week in the Summer.  I figure the pine will last for many, many years.  And when it deteriorates, I can replace the wood in an hour for very little money.
I found two local lumber yards (Maryville, TN) that have #1 grade SYP 2"x10"X16'.

I am going with pressure treated southern yellow pine, don't see why that won't work.
attachicon.gif
bunk lumber.png
If you go to a Lowes lumber dept. they have a flyer posted that states that their PT wood is not aluminum safe.

Ok, I was going to put bunk carpet on it, but that could rip I guess.  I just don't know how this stuff will last in the water.  My boat lift now has pressure treated with bunk carpet, but I won't risk it.

Isn't the deck plywood on Benningtons pressure treated? Its bolted directly to aluminum cross members. 

It's not treated, it's Marine Grade, and it's plywood. There is a difference.

Back to the original question: Does anyone know the difference between Marine Grade and untreated SYP?

I have SYP on my lift. It's been there since 2007. It's still straight and not rotten. Marine grade plywood is plywood and it uses different glue and gluing process. I've never heard of a marine grade 2x4. I think you're overthinking this.

I have SYP on my lift. It's been there since 2007. It's still straight and not rotten. Marine grade plywood is plywood and it uses different glue and gluing process. I've never heard of a marine grade 2x4. I think you're overthinking this.
Are your lift boards covered in carpet or?

Carpet.

gallery_1200_147_2222868.jpg

I just picked up my new 2015 24SSXAPG--SPS with a 150hp today from the dealer. I was hoping to take it out tonight but it's raining here in New Orleans, well maybe tomorrow. I appreciate every ones comments. I have learned a lot the last couple of weeks reading all the post.

Very nice lift!

How are your boards attached to the beams, I can see the bolt heads in the photo.

Have you replaced the carpet since you started using your lift? Can you tell us what kind of carpet it is?

Thanks.

I have never replaced the carpet and I have no idea what it is. When the lift was delivered, that's the way they came. There are clamps on the underside of the boards. This the lift company.   http://www.hi-tide.com

Toon, the above pic is the way I am doing my lift.  You can just by some brackets and flat steel plates and drill holes, then drop some cariage bolts down through and fasten them that way.  I purchased my bunk carpet from Ebay, there is all different kinds for sale, just choose one you think is the best.

Toon, the above pic is the way I am doing my lift.  You can just by some brackets and flat steel plates and drill holes, then drop some cariage bolts down through and fasten them that way.  I purchased my bunk carpet from Ebay, there is all different kinds for sale, just choose one you think is the best.
I've been looking for bunk brackets & plates without success, where did you find yours?

Is there something special about the carpet or is it just regular indoor outdoor?

Thanks.

Back