Midship cleat?

big shooter

Reaction score
Has anyone installed a cleat, or a way to secure a dock line, in the middle of the boat, near the console?
I often have a crosswind at my dock. The problem is there are rocks about 10 feet from the dock. If there are two of us, my wife jumps off the bow to secure that and I secure the stern.

But I am trying to figure out how to do it by myself if needed. If I just tie off one end, the other end will swing towards the rocks. If I could do the bow it would be okay but getting up there in time doesn't seem possible.

My solution is to have a dock line next to me at the console. My dock has posts so I could just loop it over and that should give me time to get to the bow and stern to property secure them.

I just don't see an easy way to put a cleat or something else at that point of the boat. The rail covers most of the plywood where you would normally bolt the cleat.

Any ideas?

My 2008 RCW has a midship cleat. It looks kind of like a stainless steel u bolt. Not at the boat but I think it goes through the rub rail. It is bent out a little bit so you can get a rope between the cleat and the panel.

Our floating dock is only 10 x 10 and the main channel of our lake is to the right in the first picture. With no starboard side gate, we choose to dock like this and board the boat through the rear center gate.

starboard side.jpg

So I added a SS U-bolt through the side skirt. We keep short, dedicated lines on the dock which makes tying up a breeze. I was able to add the U-bolt without removing the skirt, but it was a bit of a challenge because there was not much room to get my fingers to the back side to start threading the nuts on. Takes patience, but is doable. I wouldn't try it over water. Did mine while on the trailer.

mid ship u bolt.jpg

Take a look under the decking above the side skirting and see if you can get to one of the stringers and attach an eye bolt to one close to the center.

My boat is a little longer but it does have a metal loop I clip to the side of the dock so I can secure the front and back of the boat. Maybe your dealer can put in something like this or have more information for you. Not sure what size boat they install these on at the factory. This won’t let me post a picture for some reason. Just says oops.

You could also build up a line that goes between both front and rear cleats and hook a line to that in the middle?

How about a rope tied to the forward leg of the bimini. Should work for a few minutes while you tie the others. Another idea, I've seen bass boat guys tie to the steering wheel for a couple of minutes while they back their trailer in - might also work for you.

Has anyone installed a cleat, or a way to secure a dock line, in the middle of the boat, near the console?
I often have a crosswind at my dock. The problem is there are rocks about 10 feet from the dock. If there are two of us, my wife jumps off the bow to secure that and I secure the stern.

But I am trying to figure out how to do it by myself if needed. If I just tie off one end, the other end will swing towards the rocks. If I could do the bow it would be okay but getting up there in time doesn't seem possible.

My solution is to have a dock line next to me at the console. My dock has posts so I could just loop it over and that should give me time to get to the bow and stern to property secure them.

I just don't see an easy way to put a cleat or something else at that point of the boat. The rail covers most of the plywood where you would normally bolt the cleat.

Any ideas?

Nose in to the dock under minimum power, keeping in gear keeping nose pushed against dock. Tie off bow cleat. Reverse and turn motor, swinging rear to dock. I do this on extremely windy days.

Nose in to the dock under minimum power, keeping in gear keeping nose pushed against dock. Tie off bow cleat. Reverse and turn motor, swinging rear to dock. I do this on extremely windy days.
can't nose in because of a big rock, have to come in on the side. And can't swing because of rocks. I really have a very narrow "parking space" picture a parking lot with cars on each side of you

I also thought about just putting in some pilings next to the rocks so if I drift that way I'll be okay. If only I could dock on the other side of the dock that would solve the problem since I could always use the wind to push me into the dock. But no option on that side.

of course moving the rocks would be the best bet, but some of them are the size of a washing machine or bigger.
I am building a rock mover but it only will be able to handle suitcase size rocks and smaller

can't nose in because of a big rock, have to come in on the side. And can't swing because of rocks. I really have a very narrow "parking space" picture a parking lot with cars on each side of you

I also thought about just putting in some pilings next to the rocks so if I drift that way I'll be okay.
Wow - that sounds tight. Honestly, I wouldn’t mess iwth it solo unless it is in ideal conditions. Doesn’t sound like you have any margin for error.

I like the piling idea. Can you put heavy duty piling in and leave them up all year, or is it something that you‘d have to remove in the winter? If you can leave them in all year long, that might be the safest and easiest route. Put in piling, then just add some cushiony bumpers onto them.

Here is a pic, the white drawings are rocks just under the surface. I do have a mooring so I have that option on days with a cross wind and if I am by myself. My wife and I have gotten good at it when we are both on the boat, I hold a piling, she ties off the bow and then I tie off the stern.

But there at times like yesterday when it doesn't work that smoothly and I just back out and try again. I have found that once one end starts to swing to the rocks, if we don't have the other end tied off, there is no easy way to save it. If one end is tied off we are fine, the motor will swing us back in.

Oh well, camp stress! I'll take these little set backs anyday

Attachments

• 20210807_153327.jpg
    20210807_153327.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 32
Back