Mistakes were made! Now we need upholstery.

LakeJames

Reaction score
2011 GLI
Good morning! Long time lurker.

We’ve been quoted $6K for a complete upholstery (Sunbrella fabric, Gore thread) job plus an extra $200 for pick up and delivery from the marina. As we don’t have a trailer I’m happy with the transport charge. Does the upholstery quote sound reasonable? We’ve never dealt with this boat dealer. They do a lot of pick ups and storage for Lake James residents and from the marinas. Sent us a quote with no info (warranty) other than the biz name. I need to decide this weekend in order to get the
boat in their queue.

We purchased a replacement playpen mooring cover (snap-on) from Tumacs (our 3rd, 2nd one is 100’ down) and as some of you know we have to install the snaps. Well, it’s still in the box in our garage and we’re regretting not getting seat covers. Dealers rate is $400 labor to install the snaps. If we could sell the playpen cover and get seat covers we would make the switch.

Also wondering if we should go ahead and replace the carpet with vinyl while the dealer is doing the upholstery.

Since we’re getting on in years and having some health concerns I think the only way to deal with all this is to throw a bunch of money at it. Sure would appreciate any thoughts you guys might care to share. Without a tow vehicle and a trailer were at the mercy (or in the good hands?) of the only dealer we’ve found, Marine Concepts, Morganton, who can do it all.

I don’t know about re-upholster costs or anything. My limited knowledge as to replacing flooring is that you need to remove everything above deck. Thus it is a very time consuming and labor extensive job. Is total removal of all your above deck upholster pieces part of that 6k quote to do your complete upholster mentioned above? IF YES, then I think it would be worth looking into flooring since it would be nearly totally prepped for it. Also, IF 6k involves removal of all furniture to reupholster, maybe that becomes more reasonable given prices these days, AND the extent of the job with labor costs when combined with using top end materials. Hopefully some others can speak more authoritatively on your topic from experience.

I don’t know about re-upholster costs or anything. My limited knowledge as to replacing flooring is that you need to remove everything above deck. Thus it is a very time consuming and labor extensive job. Is total removal of all your above deck upholster pieces part of that 6k quote to do your complete upholster mentioned above? IF YES, then I think it would be worth looking into flooring since it would be nearly totally prepped for it. Also, IF 6k involves removal of all furniture to reupholster, maybe that becomes more reasonable given prices these days, AND the extent of the job with labor costs when combined with using top end materials. Hopefully some others can speak more authoritatively on your topic from experience
Excellent question that I will add to my list for the boat dealer today. Thank you.

Excellent question that I will add to my list for the boat dealer today. Thank you.
You’re very welcome. Good luck to you. Keep us all posted. This is the type of collective information that becomes randomly helpful over time. And again, hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will be commenting soon.

2011 GLI

We’ve been quoted $6K for a complete upholstery (Sunbrella fabric, Gore thread) job plus an extra $200 for pick up and delivery from the marina. As we don’t have a trailer I’m happy with the transport charge. Does the upholstery quote sound reasonable? We’ve never dealt with this boat dealer. They do a lot of pick ups and storage for Lake James residents and from the marinas. Sent us a quote with no info (warranty) other than the biz name. I need to decide this weekend in order to get the
boat in their queue.

We purchased a replacement playpen mooring cover (snap-on) from Tumacs (our 3rd, 2nd one is 100’ down) and as some of you know we have to install the snaps. Well, it’s still in the box in our garage and we’re regretting not getting seat covers. Dealers rate is $400 labor to install the snaps. If we could sell the playpen cover and get seat covers we would make the switch.

Also wondering if we should go ahead and replace the carpet with vinyl while the dealer is doing the upholstery.

Since we’re getting on in years and having some health concerns I think the only way to deal with all this is to throw a bunch of money at it. Sure would appreciate any thoughts you guys might care to share. Without a tow vehicle and a trailer were at the mercy (or in the good hands?) of the only dealer we’ve found, Marine Concepts, Morganton, who can do it all.
Hey Lake James! We are 1 1/2 hrs from you on Lake Norman. Not sure of the $6000 price tag for the complete reupholster job. I was curious about the Sunbrella fabric for the job. We've gotten a Sunbrella fabric mooring cover made but never heard of that fabric for boat seats! But if you do decide to go with this job I would suggest going ahead and changing out your carpet to Seagrass. Might as well. You can't have beautiful new upholstery with crappy looking carpet. Ha! Vikingstaff is right it can be time consuming to have your carpet replaced with seagrass because EVERYTHING comes off the deck. But we just had our seagrass replaced. A crew came in and removed EVERYTHING off the deck, removed the old seagrass, installed new flooring and reinstalled EVERYTHING....... Took them 2 days to complete the job!!!

You can buy a good snap tool for less than $75 and install snaps yourself. Get the type that looks like vice grips.

You’re very welcome. Good luck to you. Keep us all posted. This is the type of collective information that becomes randomly helpful over time. And again, hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will be commenting soon.

2011 GLI

boat in their queue.

That's a crazy good price; although I've never seen boat seats upholstered with Sunbrella fabric. Don't know if you already had the work done, but on the chance you haven't, I thought I would share our experience. Your price is great, but my concern would be with respect to the appearance, as most seats are trimmed with vinyl. The price is only right if you love the way it looks. We just reupholstered all of the seats on our 2375 GCW with marine grade vinyl. Before pulling the trigger, I got four quotes to reupholster, as well as a quote for new OEM seats from Bennington. With one exception, the quotes for reupholstering ranged from $18k-$22k and the cost of the new OEM seats from Bennington was $18.5k not including shipping and installation. We ultimately found a company who did the work for just under $12k including wood replacement (yes, there's some wood used for Bennington seats) and new stainless hardware. I was initially shocked by the quotes I was getting, but now that I see how much work was involved for a boat this size (tritoons are all seat), I think we got a great deal. Best part is the seats look amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_8072.JPG
    IMG_8072.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8073.JPG
    IMG_8073.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 33
That's a crazy good price; although I've never seen boat seats upholstered with Sunbrella fabric. Don't know if you already had the work done, but on the chance you haven't, I thought I would share our experience. Your price is great, but my concern would be with respect to the appearance, as most seats are trimmed with vinyl. The price is only right if you love the way it looks. We just reupholstered all of the seats on our 2375 GCW with marine grade vinyl. Before pulling the trigger, I got four quotes to reupholster, as well as a quote for new OEM seats from Bennington. With one exception, the quotes for reupholstering ranged from $18k-$22k and the cost of the new OEM seats from Bennington was $18.5k not including shipping and installation. We ultimately found a company who did the work for just under $12k including wood replacement (yes, there's some wood used for Bennington seats) and new stainless hardware. I was initially shocked by the quotes I was getting, but now that I see how much work was involved for a boat this size (tritoons are all seat), I think we got a great deal. Best part is the seats look amazing.
Confirmed the seats are being done in vinyl. Yours look great.
Supposed to be done in the next couple weeks.

Look forward to seeing pics when they are done. Our older daughter graduated from Davidson a few years ago. Love your area. Be safe and happy, cruising this summer.

Back