Mold on inside of bimini cover

Reaction score
Our tri toon is kept on a freshwater lake, on a lift at a covered dock.  Noticed mold on the inside of the bimini cover today and the cover is in the garage for cleaning in the morning.  Recent weather very humid and rainy.   Need some advice on the best way to clean.  I was thinking Awesome , a pail, and a brush.  Any thoughts.  If you have used Awesome thoughts on dilution mix.  Thank you

We had the same issue with our bimini top and used Marine 31 Mildew Cleaner and it took it right off with no scrubbing,  That is really good stuff!

Jack

Put it in the washing machine.

Use a diluted concoction of bleach and water in a spray bottle.  It 'll get rid of it. Just put an ounce of bleach in a spray bottle with the rest fresh water and mix it up. Spray it on the mold/mildew and it'll disappear........

Put it in the washing machine.
How difficult/frustrating is the removal and more importantly reinstallation of the top after cleaning? Also, I imagine you recommend air dry rather than dryer- is this correct? Lastly, did you have to use a commercial-sized washing machine, or was it able to fit into your home washer? Thanks!

I had mildew on other boat seats. Awesome wouldn't touch it. Someone one this site suggested just using cleaner, spray bottle, containing bleach. Available at Wal-Mart. Wow did it work slick and easy.

I have taken my bimini off and washed it in a commercial machine. Would not recommend your residential for your washing machine sake

I had mildew on other boat seats. Awesome wouldn't touch it. Someone one this site suggested just using cleaner, spray bottle, containing bleach. Available at Wal-Mart. Wow did it work slick and easy.
Thanks Flying Butcher. I have been using that cleaner for years. Bathroom cleaner w/bleach. 98 cents at Walmart..... .

We have a large washer so the bimini fit and yes, air dry. Our playpen cover I washed in a laundromat.

We have a large new top loader HE washer. It did a great job on the Bimini and cover. Just put it back on the frame wet and let it dry.

I know this is a old topic. If you put it in a commercial washer what did you use for soap?

I have used a LOW pressure Pressure washer. 900 psi or less with a fan tip.
I used totally awesome and a scrub brush.

Pressure was your driveway (make it nice and clean) then lay your BImini down and scrub it. A scrub brush on a pole makes quick work out of it. You can stand on the BImini with clean feet and work all the way around it.

I take 3-4 plastic clips and Hang the Bimini from the Gutter on my house. This way the Bimini is hanging and your the. Use the pressure washer to clean the Bimini and get all the soap out.

Caution. If you use a aggressive tip or to high psi you can damage your Bimini. So use a wide tip, don’t get to close and don’t use a High pressure version. Basically just use common sense. And if you don’t have any of that a garden hose will work just fine

Lowes, Home Depot or menards sells Concrobium mold stain eraser ($10). (Get the powered stuff). Put in a pump sprayer, spray it on. it will dry to a salt like substance. Clean that off. The Use Concrobium mold control and never have to deal with the stains again.

I laid mine out and used my pressure washer from a distance, the sprayed it good with 303 fabric guard. Looks great.

Back