Mooring Cover Sealer

Thanks SemperfI8387.

I understand that it is not waterproof, but having owned boats for the past 25 years, it should be more water resistant. I had issues in the first month and the dealer suggested that I seal the seams..

Just my opinion and maybe I am alone, but I doubt it.

Not trying to be an ass, but do you expect your paint on your car to “protect” it without ever washing/waxing? 303 protectant acts like a wax and water will bead/roll off your cover. The contact point in the seats is where water can wick through the cover then collect.
Expectation vs. reality can sometimes be a challenge. Remember, if they built these they way we all wished they were, they’d cost thousands and thousands more. They have to draw a line somewhere.

Agree that it is always good to wash the dirt and grim off cars and boat covers. I stopped waxing my new vehicles years ago after the clear coat applications improved significantly and given the fact that I am only keep my vehicles 6 or 7 years. Still looks as good as the day I purchased and no leaks. :cool:
In my situation, we are talking about a new cover. I don’t recall the salesperson and documentation saying to seal it before use and continue to do that frequently, but I could be wrong. I am going to jump off this post as not worth the argument. I just have high min expectations for the performance of a new cover for an expensive boat.

Could be correct regarding mold prevention. I always thought that was what the vents were for similar to a house roof with vents at the top. Air comes in from the bottom around the doors and other gaps, warm moist air rises up and exits through the vents. People who are sealing their covers would seem to be at a greater risk for mold if the cover needs to vent. I am not an engineer, thus could be 100% wrong. Just seems that my cover is allowing more moisture in that is working its way between seats, cushions, and getting trapped in storage areas filled with life jackets, etc.
We didn't even have vents on our Sunbrella cover because it is a premium breathable fabric and never had mildew issues....

In my situation, we are talking about a new cover. I don’t recall the salesperson and documentation saying to seal it before use and continue to do that frequently, but I could be wrong. I am going to jump off this post as not worth the argument. I just have high min expectations for the performance of a new cover for an expensive boat.
Not being an ass ,promise, but does it say anywhere in the documentation that it IS waterproof? Don't jump from the post, I promise that no one is intending their response to be rude, we have a great bunch of folks. They will however be a wealth of knowledge, and a few laughs!

Let me also say this, if YOU feel something isn't right, by all means take it up with your dealer and see what they say. Maybe they don't try and do a warranty claim, maybe they just give you a great deal on some 303, or even better, offer to take and do it for you, no charge!! I can honestly say that my last 3 all seemed to have better performance than what you are experiencing, so maybe something did get missed. Point is, what we think, really is worth the price you paid, what matters is what your dealer and also Bennington thinks. So give your dealer a call and see, or try getting a hold of Mother Bennington yourself if you think the dealer is being unreasonable. Hope you come to a successful outcome!

That is the right product, but it's cheaper at overtons (15% off with code laborday15) right now. I would not use it on simtex upholstery.

As someone already mentioned, it's not supposed to be waterproof, unless you want a giant petri dish.

When you do the Mooring cover, do you 303 fabric protect the "tent" area or the entire fabric? I have a covered dock at Norris and the boat is generally not exposed to the elements. Unless it rains sideways, the mooring cover doesn't get wet. The main reason I am going to waterproof it is to be able to rinse off the layer of yellow pollen in the spring (pollen season in eastern TN is no joke).

I used 303 Fabric Guard at the beginning on the season and I’m good. Only minor water intrusion under the seats even with the heaviest of rains. I make sure the poles keep the cover taut. Of course, rain does run through the floor from bow to stern as it enters under the fence.

When you do the Mooring cover, do you 303 fabric protect the "tent" area or the entire fabric? I have a covered dock at Norris and the boat is generally not exposed to the elements. Unless it rains sideways, the mooring cover doesn't get wet. The main reason I am going to waterproof it is to be able to rinse off the layer of yellow pollen in the spring (pollen season in eastern TN is no joke).

I know the ”sides” of my cover still look pretty good vs. the “top”. I’d spray the top first, and if you have enough left over, do the sides. Make sure to do it off the boat as the chemical can damage the seat fabric (at least the old vinyl style) if it gets saturated in a spot.

I know the ”sides” of my cover still look pretty good vs. the “top”. I’d spray the top first, and if you have enough left over, do the sides. Make sure to do it off the boat as the chemical can damage the seat fabric (at least the old vinyl style) if it gets saturated in a spot.
I plan on draping it over deck railing and spraying it that way. I also might try to lay it out in the yard flat and spray it. The bemini top was tough to move around while doing it. The mooring cover is got to be way worse.

I did the entire cover, used 303 on half and Starbright on the other. Did the same on my Jet Ski Covers and Bimini Top. The jet ski covers both faded after a summer in Havasu - no difference. The water beading was different on the Bimini Top, trying to find my notes on which product I used on which end - LOL. As of last week, no difference in color fade.

Attachments

• 2021-07-02 16.20.19.jpg
    2021-07-02 16.20.19.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 2021-07-17 16.32.36 Rain bead front.jpg
    2021-07-17 16.32.36 Rain bead front.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 2021-07-17 16.32.10 Rain Bead  Back.jpg
    2021-07-17 16.32.10 Rain Bead Back.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 28
I just washed and then sprayed 303 fabric protectant on our jet ski cover to better waterproof it. It actually seemed to do a great job this first year out on the lake, but I figured why not toss it on before putting it away for winter storage.

I did the entire cover, used 303 on half and Starbright on the other. Did the same on my Jet Ski Covers and Bimini Top. The jet ski covers both faded after a summer in Havasu - no difference. The water beading was different on the Bimini Top, trying to find my notes on which product I used on which end - LOL. As of last week, no difference in color fade.
I know everybody on here loves their 303 products but as far as the waterproofing product is concerned Starbright lasted alot longer than 303 in my unscientific experience.....Ha!

I know everybody on here loves their 303 products but as far as the waterproofing product is concerned Starbright lasted alot longer than 303 in my unscientific experience.....Ha!
I concur. Bought a gallon of 303 Fabric protector and didn't do a good job proportioning it out so I ran short. Couldn't find more 303 fabric protector in my neighborhood so I picked up a quart of Starbrite to finish the job. When it rained, there was a night and day difference in the section I used the Starbrite on. It beaded up like a car with fresh wax while the 303 parts just looked wet.

I sprayed the mooring cover on the 24' Bennington. I used a 1/2 gallon "plant" sprayer from Lowes based on another post. I feel that using that while keeping the pressure up (pumped up) seemed to reduce the overspray compared the trigger sprayer. Using the pump sprayer, I used a little more than a half a gallon.

Before my boat went in the water for the first time this past spring, I sprayed my cover and boots with 303 Fabric Guard. Worked great! I did it again at the end of the year... really well mind you... and I am shocked there is ZERO beading. Just looks wet. Sunedog and BigKahuna said this happened to them as well. I’m going to switch to the Starbright product like they did (and I’m a 303 fanboy!).

Before my boat went in the water for the first time this past spring, I sprayed my cover and boots with 303 Fabric Guard. Worked great! I did it again at the end of the year... really well mind you... and I am shocked there is ZERO beading. Just looks wet. Sunedog and BigKahuna said this happened to them as well. I’m going to switch to the Starbright product like they did (and I’m a 303 fanboy!).
Yup Starbrite performed much better for me. Are you doing 2 coats? I spray mine then let it dry then spray it again. This way I get the areas I might have missed the 1st time!

I have a two year cover and it also leaks. I don’t recall reading that you have to do this. Shouldn’t it be a warranty item?
We have a 2015 SX22 Bennington pontoon and the first mooring never worked so I complained to our dealer, so Bennington gave us a brand new cover but it leaks too. We really like the boat but when I tell others at our marina they can't believe it. They have all Starcrafts pontoons and their covers work. It's disappointing that our mooring cover doesn't work, and we paid for the top of the line boat.

Back