Motor choice?

That's a mighty big can o' worms you opened up there :D

I think either one is fine, i happen to have a Yamaha and it has been good so far.

Both are good brands, with good reputations, but i'm sure more members will chime in, sooo, i'll sit back and watch the battle of the brands begin!

Yamaha is #2........behind the #1 Four stroke outboard.... Suzuki :D !!!! They're all pretty darn good motors today........you really can't go wrong.

I have to agree that you can't go wrong with either motor (also agree that Zuki's are the best). I would venture to say service should be on the top of your priority list. I didn't go Suzuki on this boat because there aren't any certified shops in my area. Also look into maintenance costs for both. Merc's service intervals are dirt cheap.

Both are good but I try to stay with American made. & that's my 2 cents :)

As sponsored stated, probably your biggest pro or con will be with getting it serviced. I have never owned a Mercury prior to buying my benny last year. I was a tried and true evinrudes / Johnson guy. I can't be more pleased with the mercury though. Plus I have a certified merc dealer 10 miles away.

Good luck

Todd

What would be the better outboard, yamaha or mercury in the 90hp range. Just looking for everyone .02
Which engine does the Marina you would take it to have the most experience servicing?

If the answer is both I can tell you this: Yamaha is the Honda of outboards. Boring and reliable. I've got no complaints about mine, other than I wish it were bigger.

I'm a bit surprised at how amicable everyone is being over this potentially explosive topic. I agree with most who say they are all pretty good these days. Having a dealer fairly close who can service/work on your motor was a big factor with me so I went Yamaha and am very satisfied.

I'm a bit surprised at how amicable everyone is being over this potentially explosive topic.
Oh don't worry...

I've already contacted some hit men to take care of all you non-believers who don't agree with me... :blink:

Eric, did you hear Yamaha is giving away a free puppy with every new outboard sold? That way you won't have to swim home alone! :p :p :p

Wow, I can't believe this, everyone knows the black engines get too hot ;)

I have had many Mercury engines over the years, never had a problem with any of them and many had hundreds of hours of use. This is my first Yamaha and I'm loving the first dozen hours. This is also my first 4 stroke outboard and it has been a game changer to this point.

IMO I would purchase what you can easily get quality service if you need it.

Best of luck with your decision.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Our boat is a new order have not recieved it yet. It is a 2250RCL with ESP package. What performance do you get?
I'm in the same situation. Mine is a 2275RCW Limited. It is expected to be at the dealer by Friday or Monday. I hope to have it by next weekend. If you look at the performance reports on Bennington and Evinrude's web site I believe there is a boat like yours with a top speed of 54mph.

Mercury, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, two stroke, four stroke--you cannot go wrong with any of them.

2 strokes will generally eat the 4 strokes out of the hole, but the 4 strokes will equal them on top end.

The 2 strokes are louder at slow and mid range speeds, but the 4 strokes are no quieter on top end.

2 strokes and 4 strokes may get about the same fuel mileage, but is the cost of oil changes about the same as feeding very expensive outboard motor oil into the 2 stroke?

4 strokes are just a little more expensive to buy, but have better resale value in the current market.

If you're an aggressive driver or pulling skiers/tubers, best if you go 2 stroke.

If you're a cruiser or ride around at slow speeds, best if you go 4 stroke.

But, still don't put a 40 or 50 hp on a 24' boat. You spend the $, these things last forever, power them properly for the most enjoyment.

And, how good is your local dealer? Towing a boat 100 miles for warranty work is just not reasonable in the days of almost $5 gasoline. Buy local if possible.

Back