Motor hits ski tow bar

I have a 2021 23L with a Merc 200 and ski tow bar and it does not hit. It looks like your tow bar is different than mine but your cowl is definitely bigger than it is on the Merc.

Attachments

• IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 58
Interesting, could you find out the specs on that tow bar and who made it? I have to imagine that Bennington does not make the tow bars. Like I said in my post I have been told there isn’t a tall enough one available, which doesn’t seem to be the case with yours
The tow bar came from the factory. As other mentioned above I do have the extended aft deck. I took delivery in the later half of August 2021. I wont have a chance to look at for a while as we're still walking on the water here (Northern WI).

Thank you guys, that is interesting. My issue is that this tow bar was installed when I bought the boat and the first time I put the motor up I cracked the cowling because it hit the tow bar. They are giving me a new cowling but they’re saying they don’t have a tow bar tall enough for the motor to go under in full trim up position. I find it hard to believe that is the case as this motor is one of the options to choose on this boat. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation with their boat new from Bennington.
Was it installed from factory, or was it installed afterwards at the dealer?

You could add a jack plate to move the engine back, but Bennington probably would not fix any issues under warranty.
Mine is mounted on top of the extended rear deck similar to Fishstix.

Last edited:
It looks like tp83 might have an extended aft deck vs Mcook doesn't, and the tow bars are mounted differently with one having the support bars going forward and the other going backwards. They look like different tow bars to me...
It also looks like the tow bar was mounted on the center toon versus the pontoon deck. Wouldn't be an issue if the tow bar is mounted on the deck.

It also looks like the tow bar was mounted on the center toon versus the pontoon deck. Wouldn't be an issue if the tow bar is mounted on the deck.
I saw the same thing. I wonder if it could be moved? Got a few valuable inches there!

A couple more pics of my tow bar and motor. Hope this helps with your situation.

Attachments

• 743C5A89-8F5D-4E5A-A83D-5F5D88FFC53D_1_201_a.jpeg
    743C5A89-8F5D-4E5A-A83D-5F5D88FFC53D_1_201_a.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 46
  • F40954C3-0660-4905-87F7-BE277CD9B079.jpeg
    F40954C3-0660-4905-87F7-BE277CD9B079.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 46
Any chance this is just another aspect of the part and material shortage problems we’ve been seeing? Maybe a less ideal tow bar than normal because it was all that was available? AND no alternative replacement option for his smaller aft deck because of a lack in inventory? Just spit balling here…

The dealer should have it working without restrictions, such as trim limit switch, or remove and refund money. I would then find the right bar, either custom made or off the shelf. I think it was ridiculous to even say they would put a limit on it. Also what kind of quality did they exhibit when it obviously didn’t check it out.

Our dealer will not order a 200 with the "cage". Anything over 175 they order a bar for ski.

Cowling has nothing to do with it - it's the wrong pylon for that setup IMO. Looks like one intended for a smaller, lower HP engine. My guess is supply chain issues so they grabbed whatever was available, and this happened. Measure twice cut once as they say.

Dealer needs to make it right, not limit tilt which is just a bandaid. What happens if you stored in salt water? Yamaha specifically mentions in the owners manual to trim the lower unit out of the water to keep it from corrosion.

Not engine mounting position either, it's in the lowest hole it can go.

BTW OP looks like the dealer rigged you with a 20" shaft motor. I would have gone with the 25" to avoid ventilation issues and better performance. Might want to check your order to ensure you got the proper model (there will be an "L" for 20" and "X" for 25").

Like I sorta said - make dealer fix (replace with one that fits) or remove, repair, and refund.

That tow bar is fine for the standard F200 (4 cyl)
It's odd that Bennington accepted the order wit that tow bar and the VMax (6 cyl) engine.

Limit switch's are perfectly fine in many applications, but it appears that this is not one of them. Try dealer first, and if they are no help, Bennington would be the next resource. Again, I find it odd if it was ordered in this motor/tow bar configuration.

That tow bar is fine for the standard F200 (4 cyl)
It's odd that Bennington accepted the order wit that tow bar and the VMax (6 cyl) engine.

Limit switch's are perfectly fine in many applications, but it appears that this is not one of them. Try dealer first, and if they are no help, Bennington would be the next resource. Again, I find it odd if it was ordered in this motor/tow bar configuration.

UPDATE - Bennington still says they don't have a tow bar tall enough for this motor. My Option is to go with the TurboSwing as many of you suggested, BUT my Dealer is saying that will void my engine warranty (which makes no sense). I will be talking to Bennington about this, the whole thing is getting old. I didn't even mention when I put the boat in the water the first time last year I got the boat off the trailer and put the boat in reverse and it went forward, fortunately I didn't drive it up the boat landing, long story short, they had the wrong rotation prop on the boat. I'm trying to be patient but this boat obviously did not get checked out properly before delivery.

…BUT my Dealer is saying that will void my engine warranty (which makes no sense). I will be talking to Bennington about this, the whole thing is getting old…
I can easily call B.S. on your dealer with what they told you above. Plenty of Yamaha and Mercury owners in here with the Turbo Swings. Doesn’t impact motor warranty with EITHER motor manufacturer (And I would assume it would not with ANY motor manufacturer).

Not sure why they would say that, or how they could possibly be this misinformed. Huge red flag with them for just saying that, let alone the prop issue they caused for you when they rigged your boat improperly. Wow! Sorry you have to deal with such garbage!

Now, technically, you can reach out directly to Yamaha as they handle your motor warranty, not Bennington, not your boat dealer. They can verify you’ll be fine with the Turbo Swing.

As for dealing with this particular boat dealer, are you stuck with them for future service, or do you have a practical alternative for both your boat and motor?

I'm with Viking on this - can't even put the correct rotation prop on the boat? I'd be doing my best Jesse Owens impression and running quickly from this dealer. Owner might be a good person but the help obviously is lacking.

I don't read anywhere in the Yamaha owners manual or warranty that a turboswing would automatically void it. Magnuson-Moss still requires the OEM to prove the Turbo Swing was the reason for whatever failed. Standard language applies however - if you do something that causes the motor to fail (i.e. improper installation of the engine due to the new mounting configuration, overloading the transom that causes the engine to fall off, etc.) they could use it as a basis for warranty denial.

I can actually see scenarios where a LH prop mistakenly is installed, stuff happens. But the warranty remark is indeed a red flag. It's as if your salesman may have fecal matter in his cranium.

Back