My new 22sxp is a BIG disappointment

BTW, I have been running the trim of the engine all the way down. If I try to trim up it only makes the problem worse and the blow out happens sooner.

Speaking of engine trim, please tell me how far you can trim your engine and how it relates to the trim gauge? I realize that you can only trim up an outboard on a pontoon so far, but with mine full up to full down and the guage only moves about 1/4 of the range displayed. I think it is not set up correctly. What do you think?

I used to have a g and switched to a 4 blade prop and loved it. Far better for water sports and a lot less like to have prop blow out

Speaking of engine trim, please tell me how far you can trim your engine and how it relates to the trim gauge? I realize that you can only trim up an outboard on a pontoon so far, but with mine full up to full down and the guage only moves about 1/4 of the range displayed. I think it is not set up correctly. What do you think?

My trim goes all the way up and down on the gauge, I'd say something is off on yours if your only seeing 1/4 range.

I had this same issue with a 115 on my old boat(2019 Harris 21 foot). If you don't have an xl, you probably wont fix it.
I ended up going to a 150 xl and it went away(had 115 on boat for all of 8 days before I couldn't take it anymore). Also the 115's have a notorious trim vs gouge issue. My gauge didn't move at all when trimming, or very little I should say, but the motor did. all the trim was done on the bottom quarter of the gauge. and dealer said that there was not a work around. Had multiple friends with same issue.
Just my 2 pennies..

I have a 2021 21SX, Express Toon Package with a Yamaha F115LB. It is new this year and our first pontoon boat. It has an aluminum 3 blade prop on it, but that’s the extent of my knowledge. LOL. I have had it full throttle a few times (after break-in of course) and it runs great and maxes out at 6,000’ish rpm. With my wife and I on the boat, normal gear, trimmed fully down and full tank of gas, it runs 32 mph. We do boat on a small lake, about 1,500 acres of surface area, so the water is usually fairly calm. We’re really happy with the set-up. BTW, the engine is mounted in the first hole.

Certainly strange, not sure what that piece would be for. Here is a picture of the pod on our boat for reference.

01501122-5AD9-4ADE-AE3C-FA2A63DB503E.jpeg

Looks like an anode mount to me.

Maybe I missed it but did you find out if you have a 20 or 25” shaft?

I have a 2021 21SX, Express Toon Package with a Yamaha F115LB. It is new this year and our first pontoon boat. It has an aluminum 3 blade prop on it, but that’s the extent of my knowledge. LOL. I have had it full throttle a few times (after break-in of course) and it runs great and maxes out at 6,000’ish rpm. With my wife and I on the boat, normal gear, trimmed fully down and full tank of gas, it runs 32 mph. We do boat on a small lake, about 1,500 acres of surface area, so the water is usually fairly calm. We’re really happy with the set-up. BTW, the engine is mounted in the first hole.
TBH, sounds like you are running right where I’d guesstimate based on your set up. The ETP hull can sit a little lower in the water, so potentially raising the motor up slightly could perhaps give you another 1-2 mph, but it also might make it cavitation a little bit in turns. Based on your RPM’s and performance, I would not spend the money on trying out different props because I don’t think it will end up making an appreciable difference at all.

A 115HP does drop quickly in performance with just a couple extra people, or a little bit more weight. I’d imagine that it does so a bit more with the ETP hull instead of the full length SPS hull. All of that said, sounds like you have a nice boat, and that you are really enjoying it. I hope you have a great upcoming summer on it WVfan!

I would not spend the money on trying out different props because I don’t think it will end up making an appreciable difference at all.
Cost me about $150 to find that out with my 115.. Kinda cheap though considering. Only got about 1 MPH going from a 13.5-12P to a 14-13P

I did see some cool looking cavitation burns on the stock one though :p

I appreciate your reply. I was not able to take a ride on my new boat upon delivery due all this COVID stuff going on this year.
I talked with my salesman as my boat was originally outfitted with a 13 inch pitch prop. He said he thought it was correct but got me a 15 inch pitch prop as my old boat did not experience this problem. I had one nearly identical as the 2001 you reference on your post.
The 15 inch prop is better but the problem is still there. Blow out over 4200 rpm unless the water is flat. Even then I have to slowly walk up the rpm and can not get over 5000 rpm before it blows out.
The cavitation I experienced with the 13 inch pitch prop was bad enough to cause the coating on the blade of the prop to delaminate and peal from the aluminum.
The engine in mounted with only one additional hole to lower it which will only get about 1/2 to 3/4 inch drop
The salesman tells me the water flow between the tubes is just so turbulent due to being a pontoon.
I feel like there has got to other people out there that have experienced similar issues.
Our Bennington/ Regal dealership will not allow you to even sign the paperwork without a long drive in said boat-No Exceptions. I took delivery of a new Regal and they went with us, told me to haul ass, cut it hard etc...

Update:
Problem resolved!!!
My dealer sent one of their mechanics to take the boat out for a ride. He figured it out in less than 30 minutes, so embarrassing.
I attached a photo for any of you that may know more about this. It appears the original propeller must have been slightly out of round and damaged the nylon seal that is located between the prop and the outdrive. The seal being damaged allows the exhaust gases to escape around the prop causing the cavitation instead of forcing the exhaust gases to exit the prop at the center. Replaced the seal ( a $15 part) and the boat has been running great ever since. I feel like a dope. Anyway, wanted to pass along the update just incase anyone else encounters this issue.

Attachments

• Outdrive seal damage.JPG
    Outdrive seal damage.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 53
Back