My New Benny Was Delivered Today!

Great looking boat! The champagne color looks really nice.

Congratulations, very nice, Good Luck !..... It sounds like you have a solution for your exhaust......Typically, the solution is, "Captains Call". That design provides a Y pipe, mufflers on one leg of the Y and open exhaust on the other leg. There can be risk in creative muffler designs. The risk includes "reversion", reversion is a condition that induces water/water vapor into the cylinder heads. Mercury is tight fisted with warrantee if reversion is found. Another point, exhaust back pressure robs power and fuel, proportionate to increasing RPM. High RPM back pressure stores and holds heat in the engine and heat shortens engine life. Google "Captains Call" or ask someone like CP preformance/Hardin Marine for more info.

Someone mentioned the irritating Donzi, bigger engines face the same problem, only more so.

Captains Call works well on both applications, subject to how much power the bigger engines are making. Lower RPM cruising or around the dock, the Y gate directs exhaust to the mufflers. Running at higher RPM the valve is switched to open exhaust. The operators control is helm mounted.

Really nice looking Bennington! Thanks for the pics. Enjoy. :)

I agree Spinzone, the champagne color is really sharp. Enjoy that boat LakeOconeeGuy. Thanks for the pix

It's an absolutely beautiful boat. I see all the teak vinyl flooring and the Schwintek PWR-ARM top. Was the top added by the factory, or the dealer?

It'll be interesting to see the performance--after it's broken in.

Lake Oconee is quite a beautiful place, and it's so handy to Atlanta. My boss liked Oconee so well, he cashed most of his 401k to move there.

Then he lost the house in a divorce, changed jobs and is going to have to work until he's an old man. Yep, it's quite a nice lake.

Very nice! Thanks for pics!

Beautiful boat! I agree, champagne color looks great! I'm about to join the club as I'm picking up my new 2012 2575 QCW I/O this Friday. It may seem trivial but I'm having a real dilemna with fenders for this boat. We're on the Colorado River a lot and with all the traffic it can get pretty choppy at times at the gas dock or floating bars. I bought 4 of the Taylor-Made pontoon fenders and the channel in the fender fits pretty good under the rail but doesn't quite touch the pontoon so I don't know how well they're going to work until I try them out on the water. I can always go back to the standard fenders like yours.

It appears from your dock photo that you may have attached one or two D-rings or similar hardware in the top rail to attach your fender ropes. I'd like to have at least 4 fender locations down each side for side-tieing with other boats and docking. Did you just sheet metal screw that hardware into the outside of the aluminum rail or somehow thru-bolt it? I don't like the idea of drilling into my brand new boat rails, especially with it possibly pulling out in rough conditions, but if I do I want to make sure it's not going to fail. Note to Bennington: It's unfortunate there are no good attach points for fenders on these models.

What I did was squeeze a very short section of rope between the seat back and the rail (S model, I know some of the upper class boats are different with the fence panels coming all the way up to the rail), and I tied a metal ring to the rail with just an inch or so of slack in the rope. Bowline knot. I used a tan colored rope so it blends perfectly with the seat vinyl. I have 3 or 4 of these on both sides of the boat. Then, I took a couple feet of rope tied it to a swivel hook on one end of the rope (see pic of swivel hook below) and the other end to the fender. A carabiner would work instead of the swivel hook if you already have some of those. When I want to use the fenders, I just clip the swivel hook to the ring that's tied to the rail. It makes the fenders quick release. No "plastic" crap. Simple. Cheap. Did I say quick release? And cheap?

This was my temp solution because I too didn't want to drill holes in the rails until I figured out where I want them long term. But, I may use the rope/ring and swivel hook combo long-term. It beats drilling holes, and fighting the tight gap between the rail and seat.

The nice thing is the rope hoop that the ring is tied to also slides along the fence rail, so it's not locked into an exact position either.

This may be a little "mickey mouse" for some, but it works until I do something permanent.

a6d99492c67e9bc0f2e45452a6ad.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That works for your "S" model but my "Q" model has the fence panel all the way up and recessing into the top rail. There's no way to wrap anything completely around it. Funny, I just bought the exact same swivel hooks for my quick release set up but I'm afraid the only way to use them on my "Q" is to drill into the top rail to mount some type of hardware.

There was another post on here about mounting to rails and they had some little 'clips' that slid over the rails (like an upside down U ) that may work for the time being. I believe there was a link to Overtons. Although probably not a permanent solution, might get you by until the brains of this forum come up with something better.

Derrick

Thanks Derrick, I was actually looking around West Marine for something like that yesterday, but they have these at Overtons which is what you're probably talking about and may actually work. I'm going to buy a pack and try them out. Although I am a little skeptical on them being made of plastic.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Fender-Adjuster-For-Pontoon-Boat-Rails-4-Pack&i=74625&str=pontoon+rail&merchID=4005

By the way, I like your Ridgy, we used to breed them. Great dogs.

Thanks Derrick, I was actually looking around West Marine for something like that yesterday, but they have these at Overtons which is what you're probably talking about and may actually work. I'm going to buy a couple and try them out.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Fender-Adjuster-For-Pontoon-Boat-Rails-4-Pack&i=74625&str=pontoon+rail&merchID=4005

Added note southcst1: I use them, but sometimes if you want to have a quicker, easier height adjustment than tying and untying the knot just using the clip, I use Overtons fendergrip part# 32531 for a little quicker adjustment in conjunction with the aforementiond clip.. Gerry

Added note southcst1: I use them, but sometimes if you want to have a quicker, easier height adjustment than tying and untying the knot just using the clip, I use Overtons fendergrip part# 32531 for a little quicker adjustment in conjunction with the aforementiond clip.. Gerry
Thanks Gerry, The pontoon fenders I bought came with easy adjustable straps that you actually cinch up tight when you put them out so I'd try to use my swivel hooks through that rope hole or find another hook that works. If I end up going back to the standard fenders, that part you suggested looks like the hot ticket. Are you happy with those clips? Any durability problems?. . . and does the fender ever push up at a dock causing the line to slack and pop the clip off?

My apologies to LakeOconeeGuy. . . didn't mean to transform his "new boat" thread into a fender thread.

Thanks Derrick, I was actually looking around West Marine for something like that yesterday, but they have these at Overtons which is what you're probably talking about and may actually work. I'm going to buy a pack and try them out. Although I am a little skeptical on them being made of plastic.

Thanks southcst1, we absolutely love our Ridgebacks, after having them, I have a hard time thinking about having anything else, they have such a personality to them. Maybe a Bulldog, as my username suggests! We are very proud of them. We don't show them, just do agility and obedience training, they love agility training! They also love running WILDLY in the agility ring when that strikes their fancy,so it can be interesting! Haha. Our breeder was a little disappointed that we didn't show our female, she has a very good build to her. Her brother from the same litter actually won best of breed at the Westminster show in New York a couple years ago, and they look almost identical in build. Are you still breeding dogs or are you out of the rat race completely?

Derrick

Thanks southcst1, we absolutely love our Ridgebacks, after having them, I have a hard time thinking about having anything else, they have such a personality to them. Maybe a Bulldog, as my username suggests! We are very proud of them. We don't show them, just do agility and obedience training, they love agility training! They also love running WILDLY in the agility ring when that strikes their fancy,so it can be interesting! Haha. Our breeder was a little disappointed that we didn't show our female, she has a very good build to her. Her brother from the same litter actually won best of breed at the Westminster show in New York a couple years ago, and they look almost identical in build. Are you still breeding dogs or are you out of the rat race completely?

Derrick
We bred them for about 9-10 years but called it quits about 15 years ago. We had show quality dogs just but didn't have time for it, although many of our pups were shown and did quite well. If we ever go back to large dogs we'll definitely get another Ridgeback as we found them to be exactly as you described. A couple of years ago my wife bought home a toy chihuahua (3 LBS) that she had found and my first reaction was "what the hell is that?" Once I figured out that this little dog was a natural born retriever, she had my heart. If there's a lab out there who is any more intense on retrieving than this little chihuaua I'd like to see it. She jumps into lakes, rushing rivers, wherever, and puts the ball or toy right back at your feet for hours on end . . . .relentless. She's actually made herself quite a reputation in the areas we go boating as no one has ever seen a chihuahua do what she does. So for now my I'm satisfied with this amazing little dog, but there's no doubt we'll have another Ridgeback sometime in the furure.

On another note, I picked up my brand new 2012 2575 QCW I/O today, towed it 250 miles to Parker AZ where we'll keep it and, proceeded to back it up on flat land and the trailer brake locks up. Apparently the trailer either has a bad reverse lockout solenoid, or there's some other problem, but either way I'm not off to a good start. The 5-flat to 7 my pin connection seems to be fine so I masking taped in a 1/2" hex bolt head into the slide bolt to stop it from slding into the brake position. I'd hate to have a bad trailer solenoid right off the bat but that's what it appears to be as I've dealt with this exact same problem on my last trailer.

Try these for hanging your fenders. They're made by a member on another forum I belong to.

Back