My trash can

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
I just made a quick little modification to my boat to make trash management easier. I use the seat back storage across from the captain's chair for trash. We're talking days worth of trash while camping so we usually fill it up and more. We've been using contractor bags that don't tear, but to improve on it I just installed some metal clips so that the bag opens and closes itself whenever the seat opens up. Thought I'd share it here in case anyone else is looking for a similar solution. The clips were something like .39 cents a piece at Home Depot. 

IMG_2180.JPG

IMG_2181.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

Had to be careful placing these so that they wouldn't hit anything when the door closes. 

IMG_2186.JPG

And so long as I was drilling holes in things, I installed this little Ikea organizer into the back wall of the changing room area for a little better storage organization. 

IMG_2189.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice tips and tricks.

Nice!

Great ideas Nick! Seriously considering the 'flexible trash can' feature. We can't do the privacy enclosure organizer (have a wash-down tank in that location) but love the idea!

I noticed your port lounger seat back is hinged at the bottom and opens forward. Ours is hinged at the top and opens upward and back. Only 2 outings and when trailering, the wind has caught it, flipping it up and now it already doesn't close as snug as it used to. I think it's still okay but isn't good. I think I can come up with a fix without having to go back to Bennington. Working on a latch from behind the adjacent cup-holder for when trailering, hoping to have something designed and installed by the weekend. Looking at yours, I wonder why Bennington didn't just do ours that way (hinged at the bottom). That would eliminate our need to have a latch to use the trash can or remembering to latch before trailering.

I already installed additional fastenings on the rear lounger cushions and this one's next. Since we aren't supposed to tow with the mooring cover (nor is that convenient for short trips), it's becoming obvious they overlooked some trailering considerations when they designed the furniture. Realizing they have tons of models, layouts, and features to consider, that makes it quite a challenge, I'm sure. Seeing the improvements they continue to make, I'm sure they'll continue to work on the issues we see but in the meantime, so glad they provided this forum to share all these ideas.

Great Ideas!  I hate seeing wasted space!

Very nice. I'm defenately going to use the trash can setup!...thanks for sharing!

BCPNICK

I think the powers to be at Bennington may be giving you a call
Great idea which may be modified to all Bennys
Well thought out !

11165189_1466425396981440_8396274062319699624_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Think we should have a new thread - BennyHacks - easy ways you've modified/improved your Bennington like bcpnick did. Quick description, photo, complexity, cost and time.

Back