My turn: Leaking Pontoon

To keep the catfish out!

But in all seriousness it depends on environment. Here in Florida they are sealed to keep the critters out and keep saltwater from getting caught in there.
Lol....saw that fish pic someone posted........Interesting. So that is what the "saltwater series" means is closed strakes/foils as well as extra zinc anodes? My 2017 22 SSRCX SPS has the stern ends totally open of mid length strakes on center full length toon, and the outer toons have a round hole in stern end of its longer strakes. Which are foils/ which are strakes and are there different length options or are all SPS packages the same length? I am confused now.....also old :oops: brain hurts

Mine were the closed ones like on the salt water series. However, my boat will likely never make it off my lake, let alone go in salt water, so we just went with the simplist solution: drilling drain hole in back of performance foil. Appears to have solved the latest problem but have only been out twice on it. Keeping a close eye on it all the rest of the season.

Lol....saw that fish pic someone posted........Interesting. So that is what the "saltwater series" means is closed strakes/foils as well as extra zinc anodes? My 2017 22 SSRCX SPS has the stern ends totally open of mid length strakes on center full length toon, and the outer toons have a round hole in stern end of its longer strakes. Which are foils/ which are strakes and are there different length options or are all SPS packages the same length? I am confused now.....also old :oops: brain hurts

The link below has labeled diagrams and descriptions of each aspect of the Bennington hulls. Includes everything you mentioned above.

Bennington Hulls

The link below has labeled diagrams and descriptions of each aspect of the Bennington hulls. Includes everything you mentioned above.

Bennington Hulls
Thanks....good info. The drawings show the SPS center toon lifting strakes being full length. Mine are maybe 1/2 to 2/3 length. I wonder if engineers decided its not needed closer to stern or maybe it allowed better turning response if they were shortened. The main outside toons have full length foils the same as drawings. Interesting on how much different my 2017 22 SSRCX SPS Yamaha F150 (helm tag says rated 200hp) is constructed compared to Bennington factory SPS drawing. I haven't had this boat but a few months, but I have no complaints on handling with its assisted power steering. I did some higher speed hard turns and it was impressive! Very nimble. Can't imagine that the EPS could be that much more nimble. The leading edge of foils and strakes have a pyramid looking design in drawings but more blunt on actual boat. Not exactly the actual boats dimensions. hmmmmmmmmmm. (no complaints though.)BF3156A9-8EA3-45EC-B3F9-0ACD58BE1C52.jpegBA289D52-B307-4B27-9A62-590A50FAAFA3.jpeg9A88D3D5-0337-4002-9D07-3F5FD3B4F1AB.jpegIMG_4522.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks....good info. The drawings show the SPS center toon lifting strakes being full length. Mine are maybe 1/2 to 2/3 length.

That is very interesting. I have a 2017 SSBXP SPS with a 200 on it. Same year as yours, and and SPS too.

My lifting strakes run the entire length of my center pontoon, just like in the drawing. Very different than in your pictures. Did you buy yours used? I only ask because I am wondering if it was a special order modification? If not, how many others out there have a set up similar to yours with their SPS? I am curious what differences it might produce in handling, turning, etc.?

That is very interesting. I have a 2017 SSBXP SPS with a 200 on it. Same year as yours, and and SPS too.

My lifting strakes run the entire length of my center pontoon, just like in the drawing. Very different than in your pictures. Did you buy yours used? I only ask because I am wondering if it was a special order modification? If not, how many others out there have a set up similar to yours with their SPS? I am curious what differences it might produce in handling, turning, etc.?
The dealer I bought it from sold it new. It has power assisted steering on a F150 which is rare. He had pictures from when it was in his showroom so I assume it was just normal dealer ordered inventory. It also has a large GPS Speedo plus Garmin. I have the option list somewhere in my papers. Maybe because the 22 SSRCX is laid out for maximum seating of 13 people, it changes design handling characteristics so they modify strakes??? It handles well and lifts outside pontoon fairly high in a high speed turn.. The center toon strakes are more similar to the EPS drawing than the SPS drawing. It drives really straight for a boat. Unless you are in odd swells from another boats wake, it tends to go really straight to a destination on the horizon that its pointed at. Most boats need constant correction for wandering from your heading. Any one else have unique strakes or foils that differ from Bennington drawings?

Last edited:
I searched "strakes" and found Rodsfields talking about this very subject and he says his 2019 22 SSRXP SPS F150 has same short center toon strakes like mine. His seating is similar but has second captain type chair on port across from helm where my 2017 22 SSRCX SPS has longer bench in that area near port door. I wonder if engineers change strake length because of weight distribution if you had all those 13 seats filled. He also posted the Bennington artwork for performance packages from 2020 brochure and it showed shorter strakes on SPS than previous artwork Vikingstaff posted above that must be from prior brochures to 2020

I came upon a photo and spotted something interesting. This boat is a 2020 SCCTTX and is advertised as having the SPS package but I don't see the performance foils on the inside of the outer toons. The 2020 brochure shows they should be there but I'm not seeing it. The center toon comes all the way back so it's not an express package, and it looks like the lifting strakes come far back as well (which is also odd). Thoughts?

Link to the boat

Boat listed for sale with SPS
View attachment 26351
View attachment 26354

From the 2020 brochure for SPS

View attachment 26352

From the 2020 brochure for Express

View attachment 26353
Interesting. The other thing I noticed is those lifting strakes aren’t sealed so that’s not a saltwater package but they come all the way to the back of the center toon
On my 2019 my lifting strakes stop way short of the rear of my center toon but my performance fouls go all the way to the back on my outer toons.
Here are the 2 quotes from previous discussion. If you enlarge the SPS drawing above it appears to show shortened center toon lifting strakes.

I was able to under mine yesterday at the sand bar . My Foils dont go all the way back either
This is a 2020 23 QCW he is speaking about. Apparently length of center toon strakes are not all the same between boat models. Interesting. I have a possible hypothesis.......Could it be in boats that have center toon storage as you lose some buoyancy with that large storage compartment? Be interesting to compare 2 boats of same year and same model that differ only by one having center storage and other without. hmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:
Yes 2020 QCW . My 2014 RCW did . I looked at what my dealer had in stock last week , none went all the back as they did in the past .
This is a 2020 QCW.

Okay...I stand corrected. After reading additions to this post, I went out and looked. Sure enough, mine our like JHills: maybe 1/2-2/3 down the length of my center tube. It is only my performance foils on the outer toons that run the full length. Sorry for my misinformation above. Now per JHills hypothesis, here is my pertinent boat stats:

2017. SSBXP (Swingback layout). SPS Hull. Center toon storage.

Sad thing is I have been underneath my boat more in the last 2 months than ever before due to the port toon leak. However, my attention has been so focused on that port toon and performance foil that I apparently did not pay any detailed attention to anything else other than making sure there were no other leaks.

Here are the 2 Bennington SPS artworks so you can see difference in center toon lifting strakes length between them. Interesting.BF3156A9-8EA3-45EC-B3F9-0ACD58BE1C52.jpegD89C0DC4-5018-43A1-8D19-42D942A1D014.jpeg

That is the opposite of mine .My center is full length ,the foils on the port & starboard are about half way.
Another thing is that the 2020 does not bank like my 2014 did .

That is the opposite of mine .My center is full length ,the foils on the port & starboard are about half way.
Another thing is that the 2020 does not bank like my 2014 did .

Very interesting. I think it’d be neat to drive a couple with these subtle differences back to back on the water to see how it impacts handling.

Why 3 types ? All 3 full length ,center toon full, port & starboard half way and center toon half way ,port and starboard full .

Why 3 types ? All 3 full length ,center toon full, port & starboard half way and center toon half way ,port and starboard full .
I wonder if it is related to seating layout of a particular model which would dictate weight distribution when passengers aboard. For instance a 22 SLX layout keeps passengers more forward because of storage/changing room located at rear. And a 22 SSRCX and SSRX have seating everywhere all the way to back playpen fence so weight could be significantly more in the rear. All models seem similar in bow seating layout. Another hypothesis of mine.

2017 model... Mine are almost full length... less a few inches towards back.

Except for the Bow Fence ,and a few options . The R's and Q's are about the same

Back