Navigation light upgrades

CrackerJack

Reaction score
I've been lurking here awhile and decided it is time to show off some the upgrades to my 2012 Q model.

I think from a safety standpoint our pontoon are much more visible at night with the blue perimeter lighting on.  I understand that it makes it more difficult to see the navigation lights, so to address that issue I added under deck with navigational-appropriate color LEDs.  The power is from tapping into the navigational light wire and the strips are silicone encased like the factory ones that I attached with liquid silicone.

I think it looks cool too!.

View attachment 940

Port 1.jpg

Starboard 2.jpg

Starboard 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks sweeeet !!!

Agreed Crackerjack, that does enhance the looks.  Did you do it yourself [if so give us some details]?

Does one color bleed into another from the side? So if your traveling from 9 to 3, and I'm coming at you from 12 or 1 will I see both green and red? Looks like alot of thought went into it!! I like to see creativity!!

Okay, to answer how I did it first; Since the installation was performed last year I don't recall where I purchased the light strip.  Probably www.superbrightLEDs.com. SE-WFLS Series 60 waterproof flexible light strip. The strip was encased in a silicon sheath so attachment was limited to using silicon adhesive and lots of masking tap to hold it to the aluminum until dry.  Wiring consisted of running a pair of wires to the port bow where the factory wires run underneath the navigation lights.  If you haven't used Posi-Tap connectors they are the bomb, simple to use and no wire cutting required.  I just coated the tap with silicon when finished.

As far as the colored lights bleeding to the wrong side while underway, the LEDs are very bright so there is no issue with the small amount of bleed compared to what you see from the side.  I have polished tubes so the reflection is even brighter.

New here also, but CrackerJack IF you are underway with your 'Blue' light(s) on you WILL be stopped by law enforcement in Texas and Oklahoma. At anchor is OK, but underway they are very touchy about blue lights,,,

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Well so far so good, and I only boat in Arizona.  I can still turn off the blue lights while underway, the strip Red and Green are linked to the factory navigation lights.  I don't know if there is any rules regarding how big or small the navigation lights should be.  I know for sure my boat is much more visible at night than most boats.

We go out most Saturday nights and I have never had a problem with running my blue side lights

New here also, but CrackerJack IF you are underway with your 'Blue' light(s) on you WILL be stopped by law enforcement in Texas and Oklahoma. At anchor is OK, but underway they are very touchy about blue lights,,,

Good Luck
Rules like that are very ghey!

We'll done! All looks great. Cheers!

Back