Need a good fitting outdoor winter storage cover

mkbarrett2

Reaction score
I have to store my 2002 2575RLX Outside this year in Ohio. I need a good waterproof durable cover that will fit securely. Everything I see on line only says it fits up to a 96" beam, mine is at least 102". Has anybody found a good cover that fits a 25' bennington?

Thanks,

Mary

If I needed to leave my boat outside in inclement weather, I'd probably invest in one of those prefab aluminum carports with sides. Another option is to contact an awning shop and get them to custom make a Sunbrella cover (or equivalent breathable fabric.) They're really not that time consuming to make. If you look closely, just about every medium and large size city has an awning builder/retailer.

My Bennington is 3 mos. old, and it came with the tight fitting factory mooring cover and 4 adjustable poles. It's always left hanging in a boathouse out of direct weather, so the OEM mooring cover is sufficient for our use. As much as new pontoon/tritoons cost, they will last so much longer if kept completely dry. My old pontoon boat's seats are finally starting to crack after 26 years in the boathouse uncovered.

If I needed to leave my boat outside in inclement weather, I'd probably invest in one of those prefab aluminum carports with sides. Another option is to contact an awning shop and get them to custom make a Sunbrella cover (or equivalent breathable fabric.) They're really not that time consuming to make. If you look closely, just about every medium and large size city has an awning builder/retailer.

My Bennington is 3 mos. old, and it came with the tight fitting factory mooring cover and 4 adjustable poles. It's always left hanging in a boathouse out of direct weather, so the OEM mooring cover is sufficient for our use. As much as new pontoon/tritoons cost, they will last so much longer if kept completely dry. My old pontoon boat's seats are finally starting to crack after 26 years in the boathouse uncovered.
I bought my 2002 Bennington used and it came with the Playpen cover with the 4 poles, but it is not keeping it dry at all. The vents are letting rain in, everytime it rains the carpet gets soaked.

here is what i use $800.00 @ Menards. Works sweet yr round and u can still sit on your boat in the dog days of winter and drink a beer or 3 or 4 :lol:

041812154501 (600x800).jpg

041812154527 (450x600).jpg

Mary,

To be honest I have not used it but purchased it for the winter months. The reviews were good and it is a high quality.

My thought is to use it in addition to the playpen cover. I am confident that it will handle anything the NC winter has to offer.

Andy

Mary,

To be honest I have not used it but purchased it for the winter months. The reviews were good and it is a high quality.

My thought is to use it in addition to the playpen cover. I am confident that it will handle anything the NC winter has to offer.

Andy
I was thinking of leaving my playpen cover on also, although the pointy poles that lift the cover up for run-off might pose a problem. My playpen cover is vented and open some on the sides. We get some pretty nasty driving rain storms in Ohio. My carpet on my toon is always wet. I really need to find a cover that can tie down under the deck to keep all moisture out, till I can get an inside storage spot.

Thanks for the information.

Mary

Mary,

Andy
I was thinking of leaving my playpen cover on also, although the pointy poles that lift the cover up for run-off might pose a problem. My playpen cover is vented and open some on the sides. We get some pretty nasty driving rain storms in Ohio. My carpet on my toon is always wet. I really need to find a cover that can tie down under the deck to keep all moisture out, till I can get an inside storage spot.

Mary

Mary
Maybe a dumb question, but is shrink wrapping an option for you there? I do this every year storing mine outside in the Indiana weather and, with a few dryer sheets thrown in, my boat is always dry and rodent free in the spring. I've never had a problem as long as it starts out clean and dry. Obviously it's an annual cost, but worth it to me.

Maybe a dumb question, but is shrink wrapping an option for you there? I do this every year storing mine outside in the Indiana weather and, with a few dryer sheets thrown in, my boat is always dry and rodent free in the spring. I've never had a problem as long as it starts out clean and dry. Obviously it's an annual cost, but worth it to me.
Thanks, If I end up having to leave my boat outside for the winter, shrinkwrapping might be a good option. I'd just have to get it dryed out. Still need a good cover for the season where the boat is parked in a storage lot outside and can get wet from rain. That is my biggest problem right now. Think I may have found a place inside where I can take the cover off and let the boat completely air out, and dry over the winter. I am just concerned cause the rain is soaking my carpet everytime it rains from that stupid playpen cover letting the rain in.

Mary

Mary... this might be a cheap alternative for you... couldn't you use your existing playpen cover with the poles which help with run off, then just go to walmart or some place similar and buy a big plastic tarp to go over your playpen cover and the rest of the boat... get one with eyelets on the edges and you could tie it to the trailer to keep it secure......that's the cheap way but don't see why it wouldn't work....another possibility, but not nearly as cheap is investing in a metal car port cover that has sides on it. Around here they are around 800 bucks... just something to think about.

here is what i use $800.00 @ Menards. Works sweet yr round and u can still sit on your boat in the dog days of winter and drink a beer or 3 or 4 :lol:
What is the height opening on this one, if you know or remember?

Thanks,

Derrick

Mary... this might be a cheap alternative for you... couldn't you use your existing playpen cover with the poles which help with run off, then just go to walmart or some place similar and buy a big plastic tarp to go over your playpen cover and the rest of the boat... get one with eyelets on the edges and you could tie it to the trailer to keep it secure......that's the cheap way but don't see why it wouldn't work....another possibility, but not nearly as cheap is investing in a metal car port cover that has sides on it. Around here they are around 800 bucks... just something to think about.
I considered that. A neighbor told me that they sell huge tarps at Harbor Freight. I am affraid the poles (which have pointy tops) would puncture the tarp? I was trying to think of something I could put on top of the points to keep them from puncturing the tarp. I think your idea would work, because I think the water is coming in through the "breathing ports", and around the poles on the Playpen cover. There are also some areas that velcro around the Bimini top braket that allow water in when it rains, but a big enough tarp could take care of this. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Mary

I considered that. A neighbor told me that they sell huge tarps at Harbor Freight. I am affraid the poles (which have pointy tops) would puncture the tarp? I was trying to think of something I could put on top of the points to keep them from puncturing the tarp. I think your idea would work, because I think the water is coming in through the "breathing ports", and around the poles on the Playpen cover. There are also some areas that velcro around the Bimini top braket that allow water in when it rains, but a big enough tarp could take care of this. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Mary
Get some tennis balls and put a hole in them to cover the tips of the poles before you use the tarp. Harbor Freight has good prices on the tarps as was mentioned.

Mary
Are you putting the poles into the black vents? It sounds like you didn't do that. They are made to snap into the vent caps. If you are my bad.

Are you putting the poles into the black vents? It sounds like you didn't do that. They are made to snap into the vent caps. If you are my bad.
The older boats like my 2007 didn't nave vents on top of where the poles go.. It's just a grommet.

How do you find the boat storage (tent)on their site? I went to Menards.com but can't locate it. Looks like a great idea!

Back