Need larger fuel tank

My 52g tank sits in the center toon, which was probably a specific design to accept it. I imagine if you had the room somewhere you'd still need to cut the deck out to swap in a larger one, so it might be a big project. There are temporary solutions topside like fuel bladders but that sounds equally as offputting.

Maybe put in an order for a new one and sell the current one when it comes in? Dealer might be interested - he gets another order to complete a load and makes a few bucks on consignment on yours?

Yes a lot of effort involved, but compare that to running low on fuel every other trip or not being able to enjoy the boat to the fullest for the next 10 years. Either way it's going to be a headache, so which option provides the best long-term outcome?

One suggestion. If you're long trips are not too regular, you might consider an external tank that could be mounted on the stern deck. Here's one website I found that has a large selection of strap-on tanks. This could be as simple as filling it up, then when you need it, just have a small transfer pump, and pump the gas to your main tank. I'm not promoting them, just giving you some food for thought.

Welcome to the forum kyphil! What's the capacity of your current tank?!?

24 gallons
Okay I see why you want a bigger tank now. We have had 2 tritoons. One with a 52 gallon tank and our current boat has 37.....

24g is fine for lakes, but big riverine systems yeah that's tough. Fuel efficient operation can help extend some (WOT for my motor is 1.8g / hr versus 3-ish around 2-3000k RPM).

Or maybe just get a couple 5-gallon fuel containers to bring along with you. Strap them to the back, or put them in the center toon storage compartment. That would give you almost half a tank right there. I also have a Merc 200 but with a 32 gallon tank and wish it was bigger.

Or maybe just get a couple 5-gallon fuel containers to bring along with you. Strap them to the back, or put them in the center toon storage compartment. That would give you almost half a tank right there. I also have a Merc 200 but with a 32 gallon tank and wish it was bigger.
Me exactly! Mercury 200 with the 32 gallon tank and really would prefer much bigger. When hard core tubing with a full boat, we can burn through it pretty dang fast. I can get away with it as I stay on our lake and have marina gas options.

However, if I traveled, or didn’t have dockside marina gas, it’d be a much bigger deal. That said, if I traveled via trailer with it or dock long trips with uncertain lakeside gas availability, I probably would have prioritized the size of the gas tank more and bought a model with the larger tank. Knowing I could get away with our set up, I went for other things on our S-series with SPS.

My 24SSLX W/sps200 has a 32gallon tank in the center toon. If you have storage in the center toon I’m sure you get a can in there and with a little ventilation would be fine, we run the heck out of ours all week and I only usually fill it up one time.

Back