NEW 22SSRX

Minneboater

Reaction score
Just purchased a new 22ssrx with a 70 Yamaha motor.   Wondering if this motor is a good choice or if I should have gone bigger?   I am also wondering what other things I should look for. This is our first pontoon. Wondering what are the must haves?

Uh oh .... the loaded question. Answer typically as big as you can afford. No one here ever said I wish I could go slower. :D

What are you using it for? Tubing .... skiing ....cruising .... fishing? 

Congrats on choosing the best pontoon brand out there. But Semp is right, we need to know what you intend to use the boat for and where

Yeah, if you are just looking for slow cruising a 70 will do fine. Heck I do it with a 20hp .....  :blink:

I mostly just cruise on the lake but would like to maybe tube behind it if the opportunity  comes up.   I would think it will do at least 18 to 20 mph. Its a large lake that we boat on and we launch the boat each time we use it.   

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a wide open topic here. Buy what you can afford is the first priority!

We have a 50 hp on ours and we don't do or intend to do water sports. We are just cruisers, some fishing and are extremely happy with ours, which sits in our 400 acre lake.  Buy what you intend to use it for. 

Uh oh .... the loaded question. Answer typically as big as you can afford. No one here ever said I wish I could go slower. :D

What are you using it for? Tubing .... skiing ....cruising .... fishing? 

Yeah... Semper uses his to pull a couple of barefoot skiers at once.

Welcome from a fellow Minnesotan where do you boat at,  may I ask  

All depends on what you intend to use it for.  A 20 is ok for some and a 300 is not enough for others. 

We live Just off the Lake. by Lake Minnetonka.  Love it out there on the weekdays. Weekends are a different story too rough with all  the larger boats.

This is our first Pontoon what are some must haves for the boat?  I ordered it with depth finder and a grill came with the deal.  I upgraded the trailer as well because we trailer our boat all the time.  I was thinking side rail bumpers, I do have some but was thinking some taller ones to cover the sides better.   any suggestions?   

Are you asking about factory options or accessories?

This is our first Pontoon what are some must haves for the boat?  I ordered it with depth finder and a grill came with the deal.  I upgraded the trailer as well because we trailer our boat all the time.  I was thinking side rail bumpers, I do have some but was thinking some taller ones to cover the sides better.   any suggestions?   

Personally, I purchased some good sized bumpers but did not use them last season. My dock has bumpers already, and so did all of the other docks we visited. Additionally, we are not much into "rafting up" so while they are still on the boat, I had no need for them so far. 

What you will need is safety equipment (life jackets, throwable, whistle/flare, small first aid kit, etc.), anchor and tow rope. Some other things might include jumper cables, extra sun screen, an extra pair or two of sunglasses, extra towels, aspirin, emergency money, and boat cleaning equipment. Of course, appropriate water toys.

I'm sure there are other things that I forgot, but those on this board will let you know.

The bumpers needed are relative to the dock height. The lake that I am on has low docks so protecting the pontoon fence doesn't come into play. My son-in -law docks on the Monongahela river where the docks are much higher so fence protecting bumpers are a must.

Do you have the chance to change the motor, or is it already a done deal?  If you can change it, I'd go for the biggest motor I could afford (or that the boat will allow).  You will ABSOLUTELY KICK YOURSELF in the future if you don't.  You can always go slower with a bigger motor, but you can't do the reverse.

Just my humble opinion.

Do you have the chance to change the motor, or is it already a done deal?  If you can change it, I'd go for the biggest motor I could afford (or that the boat will allow).  You will ABSOLUTELY KICK YOURSELF in the future if you don't.  You can always go slower with a bigger motor, but you can't do the reverse.

Just my humble opinion.

Isn't that the motto for this forum? But is absolutely true!

its a done deal.   I am not really looking to rip across the water I just want to pull the grand kids in a tube and have it be fun for them is all.  I traded a 20.5 glasstron fish and ski.  We loved the boat but just not enough room and we really didn't ski anymore. I was told I would get 18 to 20 out of that motor?  Speed limit on the lake is 20 anyway  shore erosion issues.  There is a canvas company that makes camper canvas for the pontoon and I want to purchase that for it and take it to the lake of the woods camping

congratulations-png-22.png

And 

Welcome To The Bennington Family 

With your Speed Limit of 20 you are good 

Speed is determined by weight ( number of passengers and cargo on boat )

The drag of one or more tubes with the number of people being pulled

Due to those statements ....

I have The Bennington SL21  w/ Yamaha  F90 and am very happy due to this Forum originally I was going to get the Merc High Thrust 60 which I would of regretted forever  :)  

images

107175344.jpg

Enjoy, Make A Million Memories and Post A Ton of Pictures 

ER-Header.jpg

Back