New Bennington and Yamaha 115hp problems

Joindy

Reaction score
Had new 22SLX with 115hp Yamaha delivered this spring. On Memorial day engine died on water and had to call dealer for on water repair or tow. They repaired,,,on the water... a crimped fuel line and we were on our way after about hour. About month later, July 4 weekend....engine died again on water and got it restarted and limped back to dock. Called dealer and they came out and replaced faulty fuel separator. Next day engine died on water at other end of lake and we got tow back to dock. Called dealer....they found faulty part in fuel system and replaced. The first part replaced month ago was Yamaha part and this was Bennington part. Then same day after boat returned after repair found blue plastic water spray diverter hanging from bottom of boat. Called dealer and they sent someone out...who found screws missing....in this opinion not enough added at factory. So......4 problems in first few months of ownership......3 causing engine to die. My dealer is located on the lake so I am fortunate that they can service quickly...and tow if necessary.

Also, just had the 20 hr service done by dealer. It was around $160 and appears to be oil, oil filter, and gear lub and seal. Some posts indicated other work done by dealers at 20 hours...such as fuel filters? I think one posts said new boat could have plastic filings in gas tank from assembly and that is why replace fuel filter at 20 hours. Any comments on 20 hr service?

That is some bum luck for sure. I didn't do my fuel filter at the 20 hr mark. Just the separator. Where are you located?

Hang in there, things will get better.  My Bennington 24SSLX with a F150 is 4 years old and has never seen a dealership.  My boat's never had any warranty claims or required any service.  

After any initial problems, pontoons are extremely reliable.  And your Yamaha 115 hp is a brand new design for a motor, so it'll be a honey for you in the future.  Hopefully your problems are behind you.

Your dealer was reasonable on the 20 hour service.  He was charging you basically 1 hour labor plus parts on the fluids, etc.  It's not uncommon for us to see yearly maintenance charges 2x or more than what he charged.  And you're fortunate that your dealer is not putting you on the 4 week back burner for maintenance. 

I do my own yearly maintenance at a cost of about $40--including Mobil 1 EP oil and a Ford 2.0 Focus oil filter.  No more hours than I run, the fuel separator filter doesn't require changing yearly.

+1 on the almost double your charge. Our service included all fluids, filters, and water separator, plus they pressure washed the bottom of our boat, and ran an extensive check out they have. Our dealer is also very responsive. Other than the snap on the strap that holds up the ladder, no issues with ours either. When we bought our Benni, we had bought a "in Stock" boat, but added the Garmin, second battery with switch, and some other stuff. Well, somehow the second battery fell through the cracks until I went to turn off the isolator switch and found it missing. Also, the skew got a slight chip when we first put the boat into our slip.

Our dealer is about 25 miles away on the Intracoastal. When the first service came due, they came and got the boat, trailed it to their place, and added the electrical items. Also, they added a SS skew cover at their expense, even though the original damage was as much my bad as it was theirs. Then they returned the boat. Gerry's Marina in New Smyrna Beach has been great with us. So not only our Benni, but also the dealer have been a 100% positive experience.

No affiliation, no payment, just giving them a shout out where deserved.

Back