New Bennington Owner with a problem

Wurlp12

Reaction score
Hey All, new to boating and new to Bennington - love the boat but we had a big issue tonight! In the middle of a cruise we lost the instrument panel (still had depth finder, lights and radio)- we beat a hasty trip home & as we were docking we lost engine power and can't raise the motor. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Sounds like a loose electrical connection.

If you can't raise the engine I would have to wonder, do you seem to have any power at all? Because if you don't, you might want to start with the battery cables and check all the major connections leading away from there.

There's a good chance that what your looking for will be obvious once you find it; as opposed to something invisible that you need a volt meter to find.

I have no idea, but some others might want more info like what motor, single or dual batteries, basically any and all information about your boat. Oh and you should try giving your dealer a call. I know mine is available on sunday mornings for just such instances.

Sorry I couldn't be any real help.

Derrick

Hey All, new to boating and new to Bennington - love the boat but we had a big issue tonight! In the middle of a cruise we lost the instrument panel (still had depth finder, lights and radio)- we beat a hasty trip home & as we were docking we lost engine power and can't raise the motor. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks Eric & Bulldogs! I have power to peripherals (depth finder, lights, horn) but not to main gauges and motor. I will definitely be reaching out to local dealer. Single battery and Yamaha 70hp

I second the dealer route. However, an easy way to find out where to start looking is to press the manual trim button on your motor(if Yamaha has one). If it works, you've narrowed it down to a connection problem between your battery and your gauge cluster/throttle. There should be a cluster of several wires routed through tubing, going to your throttle and helm from your battery's positive terminal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the dealer route. However, an easy way to find out where to start looking is to press the manual trim button on your motor(if Yamaha has one). If it works, you've narrowed it down to a connection problem between your battery and your gauge cluster/throttle. There should be a cluster of several wires routed through tubing, going to your throttle and helm from your battery's positive terminal.
Good Thinking! See I knew there were definitely smarter people than me on here! And yes Yamaha does have the trim button on the motor. Even seems like a high probability answer too! Well thought spinzone!

Derrick

Are the two conductors from the battery connected to the same post? Sounds like your larger motor-starting and charging cable could be loose, while the accessory one may not be since that stuff seems to work. Just curious if they are connected to the same post or not. Our interstate marine battery has the both the large heavy clamp-on posts and the small threaded ones. Both wires on my boat are connected to the threaded posts, but that doesn't mean they ALL are that way.

Spin has a good idea, but Eric is right on too. About half the stuff I fix on cars and stuff around the house is due to something simply coming loose somewhere. Wiggling wires to see if they are tight is easy, so check that first.

I can't answer for how your boat is wired but mine is set up with two positive connections on the battery. One (4awg) powers the motor and leads straight to it. The other ring is crimped with 3-4 wires leading back to the helm. This bundle includes the accessories power (switches and depth finder), gauge cluster power (speedo), and ignition/trim power <--- pulling from memory.

If the house connection were loose on your battery terminal, effecting your gauges and trim, you more than likely would lose all power at the helm(e.g., depth finder). If the main positive wire going to the engine were loose, you'd have lost engine power before your gauges quit or likely at the same time.

That's why I reccomend testing your trim. If it works, one or more of your wires connecting to the ring on the positive terminal have come loose or an in-line fuse has blown (my personal opinion based on your description). If it doesn't work, you know you need to check the battery connection of the larger power wire. If it still doesnt work, then go to dealer, because a fuse has probably blown somewhere.

Wurlp - Did you get this fixed? What was it?

Would love to know what you figured out on this.  I just pulled my boat out from winter storage and have the same problem. 

Not sure what all it effects, but you didn't pull the safety lanyard from switch did you?

Edit: thought you meant lost "motor" but you mean just trim and dash correct? Motor still runs?

Or in gear.

Thanks for the reply. Glad you got it figured out.

I have an issue. I am a new boat owner. I have a 2014 Bennington SSX. I turned the ignition key on and the radio and the dept finder turns on but the gages won't turn on. I battery is charged I just don't no what's wrong. Help!!!

Back