New delivery - 21SFX

Hey all, finally getting to the pics and my report. I've had my 21SXF on the water for 6 days & have over 17 hours on it, and have burned about 2/3 of a tank of gas in that time with the 115 SHO. Right now I have my spare prop, a 13-5/8"x14 aluminum non-SDS. In calm water I can get the speed down to 2 mph (GPS) which is surprising to me but now I'm second guessing not getting the strakes & foils, which might have taken a few more 10ths MPH off to get to optimal trolling speed when using bait. The dealer equipped me with a 14x13 Talon SDS stainless prop which I've yet to try. I did see 30 MPH @ 6000 RPM with the aluminum, but that was a brief run when it had less than 10 hours on it. Very happy with the Yamaha, it's quiet and gets awesome fuel economy when run slow, which is what I've been doing as I'm trying to figure out the multifunction SIMRAD NSS7 evo3 I equipped it with. I've never owned a fish finder (or any other boating-related electronics) so it's a challenge, even though I'm quite proficient with computers. This has a dual-core processor but I have yet to learn what SIMRAD runs for an OS, although I'd guess since they're Norwegian, it's likely a Linux. Just have to play with it some more, but I will sat that the view with the Structure Scan function is like a camera. I can see rocks, logs, sticks, anything that's down there that's not a fish, which the Echo Scan picks up. I can view both simultaneously (can view up to 4 functions at once) which is a big help.

The good news is that the first time out fishing, my buddy caught 2 salmon (landlocked) at the same time on a double streamer setup, something we'd never done before. Good karma! However, he had to net them himself, as there's little room to maneuver with the 2 aft fishing seats in the way. I'm leaving the seats at camp when there's just 2 of us fishing, much easier to move around back there now.

Being a newbie boater, I'm noticing that the wind can be a problem, especially when docking or putting it on the lift. Practice makes perfect, I suppose so I'll keep at it.

Here's a bunch of pics

21SXF%20on%20trailer.jpg

The single axle trailer hauls my Bennie nicely, we were going 75 MPH up I-95 with no trouble at all

21SXF%20looking%20forward.jpg

I had to move the stereo to the right of the helm to have room for the SIMRAD. It's a great location as a passenger can tweak it easily from the couch seat. I ran a NMEA2000 cable from the engine to helm, very easy to do, cost for the starter kit and Yamaha engine interface cable was about $160. Next year I'll get autopilot for it, then broadband radar the year after that.

SIMRAD%20Instruments.jpg

21SXF%20looking%20aft.jpg

Bens%20DobsieDouble%2011.jpg

21SXF%20Helm%202.jpg

21SXF%20%20dock%20portview.jpg

I moved the dual battery setup, which was well into the privacy area when I got the boat, to the port side, as it should have been in the first place. I wish I'd taken a "before" pic, but the dimes show where the screw holes were and the tip of the measuring tape is where the battery was closest to the privacy area entrance door, within 18". If left as it was, someone using a porta potty would have either had to put their feet on the batteries to sit, or leave the door open and put their legs out into the open area of the boat. Also a bunch of aluminum chips left on the floor there from the installation. Very unsatisfactory, but easy to fix myself. I mentioned it to the service manager when I went back to the dealer later, I think the installer needs more training and/or common sense.

Dual%20batteries%20after.jpg

The NMEA2000 "backbone" can be seen to the left of the batteries. The Yamaha engine interface cable was plenty long enough to reach from the engine to the battery box, so rather than leave the T under the deck where it would get wet, I brought the T up into the privacy area, then ran the cable back down and on to the helm. I'm not going to hook up the gas tank to the NMEA, prefer the gauge which is always in view. The trim function doesn't work on the SIMRAD either, but the gauge is fine. I do use the GPS speedometer on the SIMRAD.

More to follow, headed up to Camp tomorrow morning and will do the 20 hour service this weekend while there. Afterward, I'm going to put the stainless 14x13 SDS Talon on and see what she'll top out at. More report to follow, have a nice weekend, all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pictures and one nice looking Benny! Enjoy your summer...

Hey all, finally getting to the pics and my report. I've had my 21SXF on the water for 6 days & have over 17 hours on it, and have burned about 2/3 of a tank of gas in that time with the 115 SHO. Right now I have my spare prop, a 13-5/8"x14 aluminum non-SDS. In calm water I can get the speed down to 2 mph (GPS) which is surprising to me but now I'm second guessing not getting the strakes & foils, which might have taken a few more 10ths MPH off to get to optimal trolling speed when using bait. The dealer equipped me with a 14x13 Talon SDS stainless prop which I've yet to try. I did see 30 MPH @ 6000 RPM with the aluminum, but that was a brief run when it had less than 10 hours on it. Very happy with the Yamaha, it's quiet and gets awesome fuel economy when run slow, which is what I've been doing as I'm trying to figure out the multifunction SIMRAD NSS7 evo3 I equipped it with. I've never owned a fish finder (or any other boating-related electronics) so it's a challenge, even though I'm quite proficient with computers. This has a dual-core processor but I have yet to learn what SIMRAD runs for an OS, although I'd guess since they're Norwegian, it's likely a Linux. Just have to play with it some more, but I will sat that the view with the Structure Scan function is like a camera. I can see rocks, logs, sticks, anything that's down there that's not a fish, which the Echo Scan picks up. I can view both simultaneously (can view up to 4 functions at once) which is a big help.

The good news is that the first time out fishing, my buddy caught 2 salmon (landlocked) at the same time on a double streamer setup, something we'd never done before. Good karma! However, he had to net them himself, as there's little room to maneuver with the 2 aft fishing seats in the way. I'm leaving the seats at camp when there's just 2 of us fishing, much easier to move around back there now.

Being a newbie boater, I'm noticing that the wind can be a problem, especially when docking or putting it on the lift. Practice makes perfect, I suppose so I'll keep at it.

Here's a bunch of pics

The single axle trailer hauls my Bennie nicely, we were going 75 MPH up I-95 with no trouble at all

I had to move the stereo to the right of the helm to have room for the SIMRAD. It's a great location as a passenger can tweak it easily from the couch seat. I ran a NMEA2000 cable from the engine to helm, very easy to do, cost for the starter kit and Yamaha engine interface cable was about $160. Next year I'll get autopilot for it, then broadband radar the year after that.

I moved the dual battery setup, which was well into the privacy area when I got the boat, to the port side, as it should have been in the first place. I wish I'd taken a "before" pic, but the dimes show where the screw holes were and the tip of the measuring tape is where the battery was closest to the privacy area entrance door, within 18". If left as it was, someone using a porta potty would have either had to put their feet on the batteries to sit, or leave the door open and put their legs out into the open area of the boat. Also a bunch of aluminum chips left on the floor there from the installation. Very unsatisfactory, but easy to fix myself. I mentioned it to the service manager when I went back to the dealer later, I think the installer needs more training and/or common sense.

The NMEA2000 "backbone" can be seen to the left of the batteries. The Yamaha engine interface cable was plenty long enough to reach from the engine to the battery box, so rather than leave the T under the deck where it would get wet, I brought the T up into the privacy area, then ran the cable back down and on to the helm. I'm not going to hook up the gas tank to the NMEA, prefer the gauge which is always in view. The trim function doesn't work on the SIMRAD either, but the gauge is fine. I do use the GPS speedometer on the SIMRAD.

More to follow, headed up to Camp tomorrow morning and will do the 20 hour service this weekend while there. Afterward, I'm going to put the stainless 14x13 SDS Talon on and see what she'll top out at. More report to follow, have a nice weekend, all!

Maniac did you get the Seastar hydraulic steering or cable steering? Just curious of your thoughts on the choice of steering you chose paired with the 115.

Maniac did you get the Seastar hydraulic steering or cable steering? Just curious of your thoughts on the choice of steering you chose paired with the 115.

I opted for Seastar hydraulic steering & am glad I did, if for no other reason it is a requirement for autopilot, which I plan to get next year

Just took delivery of our 2017 22 SSLX and we put a 7 inch Garmin echomap 75sv in the dash on the left side also! We don't use the stereo much, so no big deal having it out of the way. I love the large screen and it is easier to see on the left side as well. Our dealer did a great job customizing the helm like that!

Just took delivery of our 2017 22 SSLX and we put a 7 inch Garmin echomap 75sv in the dash on the left side also! We don't use the stereo much, so no big deal having it out of the way. I love the large screen and it is easier to see on the left side as well. Our dealer did a great job customizing the helm like that!

Congrats ..... and, PICS!!!!!  :D

Back