New delivery - 21SFX

Maniac

Reaction score
My long-awaited 2017 21SFX has arrived at the dealership. I won't have it unwrapped for a while yet (its snowing here now but I did get a few pix. They had quite a few other boats in the same lot but I didn't see any others with elliptical toons. Hope I made the right choice in that regard! The last time I looked, there was 3' of ice in front of camp. Also, the State extended the ice fishing season by 2 weeks :(

21SFX_Stern.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear the ellipticals ride high and dry. I'm sure you'll love them 

I hear the ellipticals ride high and dry. I'm sure you'll love them 

+1 The twin elliptical are the fastest pontoon package Bennington offers.

+1 The twin elliptical are the fastest paontoon package Bennington offers.

I didn't opt for strakes since I don't need to get on plane quickly or often. I figured that at the speeds I'm mostly likely to use it, strakes and foils would just be dragging in the water. I'm hoping that it will still top out pretty well (35+?) with the 115 Yamaha SHO

I didn't opt for strakes since I don't need to get on plane quickly or often. I figured that at the speeds I'm mostly likely to use it, strakes and foils would just be dragging in the water. I'm hoping that it will still top out pretty well (35+?) with the 115 Yamaha SHO

I'll be interested what you get for speed. I'm thinking twin elips for my next toon.

I'll be interested what you get for speed. I'm thinking twin elips for my next toon.

Will definitely post info like that when I get a chance to try it out. I'm still unsure of what diameter/pitch prop I'll be provided with. According to a Yamaha technical bulletin available on their outboard web site, the test 22SSX with twin elliptical with strakes & 115 Yamaha saw 36.1 MPH with 2 people aboard & 1/2 tank of fuel using a 14x13 prop.

I'm leaning toward a 14/13 SDS aluminum as a good starting point, unless someone makes a better case for something different.

You will be happy with the ellipticals toons.  We have had 10 people on the boat and you are high and dry.  It handles whitecaps very well.  For fishing, it is great.  When you get it on the water, practice high speed turns.  It turns flat and will tend to throw passengers to the outside of the turn.  You need to know what will happen so you can adjust your driving.  We get 40 mph but with the 150hp and strakes. 

You will be happy with the ellipticals toons.  We have had 10 people on the boat and you are high and dry.  It handles whitecaps very well.  For fishing, it is great.  When you get it on the water, practice high speed turns.  It turns flat and will tend to throw passengers to the outside of the turn.  You need to know what will happen so you can adjust your driving.  We get 40 mph but with the 150hp and strakes. 

Although I will definitely try it out at speed, it isn't my intent to use my Benny as a sport boat. Besides personal use, I'm planning to start a pontoon boat tour service  on my lake and later, offer fishing trips as well. Towards that end, I'm on vacation this week so I can attend classes to get the required Maine Guide's licenses to legally do this. This may morph to include water taxi service, ferrying construction supplies to islands or remote sites not accessible by road as well as camping trips on my home lake and an extensive local lake system.

The stability of the elliptical pontoons would be a plus for folks not accustomed to being on a boat, and being able to keep them as dry as possible is a plus as well. But the main reason I settled on the 115 is I'm hoping I can get it to run slow enough to troll, but be able to get speed to outrun an approaching storm, or at least be able to run to a lee shore.

I'll also offer my services to local game warden services for search and rescue, especially once I get set up with radar. I've been a member of the emergency response team at my workplace for 20+ years so I have training and experience in HAZMAT, firefighting, high-angle rescue, first aid and related matters. My area is very remote (no cell service in many places) & not many resources available. The closest hospital from camp is 33 miles away.

I'm hoping these endeavors will keep me occupied when I retire in 2 years. The beauty of the boat service is I can take reservations only when I want because this more about keeping busy than making $. Definitely have plans to relax and entertain friends on a regular basis too!

Although I will definitely try it out at speed, it isn't my intent to use my Benny as a sport boat. Besides personal use, I'm planning to start a pontoon boat tour service  on my lake and later, offer fishing trips as well. Towards that end, I'm on vacation this week so I can attend classes to get the required Maine Guide's licenses to legally do this. This may morph to include water taxi service, ferrying construction supplies to islands or remote sites not accessible by road as well as camping trips on my home lake and an extensive local lake system.

Don't you need USCG "6 Pack" license? I was just reading up on that this am.

Don't you need USCG "6 Pack" license? I was just reading up on that this am.

Never heard of a USCG 6 pack license. The Coast Guard has nothing to do with the areas I'll be operating. The State of Maine also has Saltwater guides licenses and Tidewater guides licenses ($100 each every 3 years) but I don't intend to try to obtain them.

The stability of the elliptical pontoons would be a plus for folks not accustomed to being on a boat, and being able to keep them as dry as possible is a plus as well. But the main reason I settled on the 115 is I'm hoping I can get it to run slow enough to troll, but be able to get speed to outrun an approaching storm, or at least be able to run to a lee shore.

I'll also offer my services to local game warden services for search and rescue, especially once I get set up with radar. I've been a member of the emergency response team at my workplace for 20+ years so I have training and experience in HAZMAT, firefighting, high-angle rescue, first aid and related matters. My area is very remote (no cell service in many places) & not many resources available. The closest hospital from camp is 33 miles away.

I'm hoping these endeavors will keep me occupied when I retire in 2 years. The beauty of the boat service is I can take reservations only when I want because this more about keeping busy than making $. Definitely have plans to relax and entertain friends on a regular basis too!

Maniac

What a great way to stay busing doing something you love. I think your goals and service to the community are admirable. 

Remember to consult your local insurance agent prior to engaging in business pursuits.

Never heard of a USCG 6 pack license. The Coast Guard has nothing to do with the areas I'll be operating. The State of Maine also has Saltwater guides licenses and Tidewater guides licenses ($100 each every 3 years) but I don't intend to try to obtain them.

If you are charging, it's US Code. Just trying to make sure you don't ge yourself in a bind. Then again, maybe as it pertains to Federal waters you may not be restricted  

https://boatsafe.wordpress.com/2010/02/26/do-i-need-a-captains-license/

First, congratulations on the arrival of the new boat. Sorry you have too wait so long.  All of us Michiganders with new boats are in much the same boat  ;)  as you.

Also, I absolutely love your retirement game plan!

If you are charging, it's US Code. Just trying to make sure you don't ge yourself in a bind. Then again, maybe as it pertains to Federal waters you may not be restricted  

https://boatsafe.wordpress.com/2010/02/26/do-i-need-a-captains-license/

Getting my Maine Guide License is key to legally doing the tours, although the boat will have all USCG required items and then some. Keeping the Guides license requires maintaining Red cross first aid certification, which I've been doing for years.

I was amazed at how inexpensive it was to insure my boat but my agent informed me to contact them before I start doing business. 

Yeah, my 2017 "G" cost less to insure than my 2011 "R". Both policies agreed hull value, and my G is $17k higher hull value??? Go figure. 

First, congratulations on the arrival of the new boat. Sorry you have too wait so long.  All of us Michiganders with new boats are in much the same boat  ;)  as you.

Also, I absolutely love your retirement game plan!

Well, the wait wasn't too bad since it would just be sitting outside like it is now. At the rate the supposed thaw is going, I'll be lucky to be able to drive in to my camp by May, being that its 6 miles of dirt road that also serves as a snowmobile trail. I guess the best part of boating in the frozen North is that our crafts aren't in the water for more than 6 months per year in most cases so it's less wear and tear. And every Spring, it's like getting a new toy :)

I never really gave the retirement plan much thought until the past year, but it's a natural for me. My late stepfather was a local who was a hunter, fisherman, trapper, and Maine Guide who took me everywhere with him when I was a pre-teen into high school. It's going to be fun to hang out with friends and do things I used to do before I had to go work in the world!

Maniac, I'm getting a similar setup=22SSX with twin Elliptical Toons and the 115Vmax! I'm as far East in Maine as you can go in Lubec. Whereabouts are you? Yeah big bummer, snowing here tonight. Should be getting my boat May 18th or so.

Maniac, I'm getting a similar setup=22SSX with twin Elliptical Toons and the 115Vmax! I'm as far East in Maine as you can go in Lubec. Whereabouts are you? Yeah big bummer, snowing here tonight. Should be getting my boat May 18th or so.

I'm in western Washington County, in the Downeast Lakes region. It was spitting snow here in Central Maine last night, I'm way past being sick of this extended mud season. :angry:

Are you planning to run your Benny in the salt or fresh? Did you get strakes? It'll be interesting to see what your 22 will top out at. According to a Yamaha performance bulletin 22SSX_F115LB_2014-10-28 (available on the Yamaha website) they saw 36.1 mph with a 22SSX with ellipticals, saltwater performance package, & 115LB spinning a 14x13 Yamaha Pontoon Performance stainless steel prop. I'm hoping to see 35 MPH with my strakeless 21SFX

I'm taking delivery of my Benny on the 29th, but not going to launch until Memorial Day weekend, provided the ice is out of the lake. :(

I got the Salt Water Series. With Strakes. Hope the Vmax gives me a little boost to 38. (I have a highs school buddy get a Princecraft Triple w Merc 115 and he gets 36, LOL) Of course his will turn much better...

But I'm not getting the stainless steel prop...I guess I could change that but $$.

Mine is getting built May 4-6. Expect delivery before Mem weekend.I was on a recent road trip to NM and decided to swing by the plant in Indiana to see how they are built. Enjoyed it. I'm retired and go every two-three months to see my grandsons in NM. I don't mind driving and I see family and friends down and back. Cant wait til the boys come up this summer

Did you get yours at Hamlin?

Back