New Era

KC24

Reaction score
Ok So my trailer Queen is about to become a Dock Potato! This weekend going to check out a Wet Slip at Dale Hollow Lake. What advise to you all have for me to keep her in good shape.

Invest in good bumpers and quality dock lines. Bird spikes/ball bungees for the Bimini. Cover daily.

Do you have a choice of slips ? I picked one with no one behind me, dock finger on the starboard side . Check your neighbors . You don't want to dock next to someone's boat that costs less than your insurance bill .If you carry your gas , is it allowed? Some marinas don't allow carrying your gas. Make a list of your items kept on board ,anchors lines ,pfd's etc . I sent my list to my insurance co , a few $$ a year more and it's covered . If your helm has a lock ,don't use it . If someone wants something they will get it and just cause more damage .

Do you have a choice of slips ? I picked one with no one behind me, dock finger on the starboard side . Check your neighbors . You don't want to dock next to someone's boat that costs less than your insurance bill .If you carry your gas , is it allowed? Some marinas don't allow carrying your gas. Make a list of your items kept on board ,anchors lines ,pfd's etc . I sent my list to my insurance co , a few $$ a year more and it's covered . If your helm has a lock ,don't use it . If someone wants something they will get it and just cause more damage .
No choice of slips. My name was on a list for over 2 years. Hard to get a slip on this lake. Inventory is a great idea. Thanks

Invest in good bumpers and quality dock lines. Bird spikes/ball bungees for the Bimini. Cover daily.
Semper we had a houseboat a few years ago on another lake and we were the luckyest owners out there. The birds and the otters left us alone. Hopefully we will carry on the tradition! Im going to look around and see what everyone is using.

Muskrat’s can potentially cause significant damage, so you might consider putting steel mesh over your middle toon inlets.

We had a wet slip in a marina for six years and never had a problem with theft, which was a bonus!

One thing you’ll need to do is wipe down your toons on a regular basis to keep them from sliming up and affecting the boat’s performance.

Good luck!

My insurance only pays for items that are attached or behind a locked door. Best advice - read your policy.

Get a lift and keep the boat on the lift whenever you are not our cruising. Many of the marinas on Tennessee lakes rent lifts at a rate that is more cost efficient than buying a lift but if you have to buy one it is worth the investment.

I would use a lift in mine ,but my slip is in 12 ft of water .

Hydrohoist lifts are floating lifts. No legs. Excellent lift
I've have done some investigation on them ,not thrilled with some of the reviews . Over priced also .

I have an in water dry dock and I am very happy with it. It keeps the toons clean and gives some protection if someone is close to your boat. Very simple design and you can install yourself in under 2 hours. Also portable so you can deflate and take it with you if you change slips in the future. These come from the UK and I am working with the owner selling them here in the US if you have any interest.

Attachments

• CBE17362-EC64-41A2-B2F5-F894DC3460F6.jpeg
    CBE17362-EC64-41A2-B2F5-F894DC3460F6.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 35
Hydrohoist lifts are floating lifts. No legs. Excellent lift
We have a Hydrohoist lift also. Agree with Jack, they are expensive but at our marina, that is the only brand of lift you can use. The marina is a Hydrohoist dealer. But after 10 years we have had no problems and are very pleased with the lift.

Can you guys have pilings driven in, or is that a no-no due to rules or ice?

I have an in water dry dock and I am very happy with it. It keeps the toons clean and gives some protection if someone is close to your boat. Very simple design and you can install yourself in under 2 hours. Also portable so you can deflate and take it with you if you change slips in the future. These come from the UK and I am working with the owner selling them here in the US if you have any interest.
Keep me updated ,please .

Ours are all wood pilings and it does freeze up here .Over 30 years old too
Can you guys have pilings driven in, or is that a no-no due to rules or ice?

1654955195157.png

I've have done some investigation on them ,not thrilled with some of the reviews . Over priced also .
I recently bought a used Hydrohoist 6600. New they are 11-12 grand, yes overpriced. Ours was $5000 installed. We don't need the 6600# capacity for anything I plan to own, but a used 4400 was about the same price and the 6600 is newer. Look around, you might be surprised.

Our previous FloatAir 5000 was a toy comparted to the Hydohoist. Although to be fair, that one was 35+ years old. But I got tired of replacing parts and welding in new pivot points.

Last edited:
I'm really not interested in a used ,even if I wanted any brand new . None are available any where close to my area

Yeah, we are kind of lucky here. A company that does a lot of dock and shoreline work puts sellers and buyers together for no charge. Lots of people upgrading stuff makes for a decent used market. Our new to us lift had very little use over about 6 years as the seller wanted a higher capacity than 6600# for a new boat. (Glad he's toward the other end of the lake)

Back