New Member with Questions!

RangerMTB5

Reaction score
New to the forum, hoping to buy a boat by the end of the year. The boat will be kept in the water at Lake Wallenpaupak, PA. We've narrowed it down to Bennington, Harris, and Manitou.

For the Bennington's, we're looking at the 22SSBXP or 23SSBXP.

As I finalize my research before the purchase, I have some questions and hoping you guys can help me out.

- Raised helm or bolster seat? It appears you can't have both. When I'm driving a boat that has neither, I tend to stand, which is pretty awkward without a bolster.
- Do people really use the changing room? Sounds like a good idea, but wonder if it's worth sacrificing storage room.
- Looking at the Yamaha and Mercury options, at least a 150. Based on what I've read so far, that seems ample for that boat and to do some tubing? Maybe worthwhile to upgrade to the 150 VMAX SHO or PRO XS? I know you never have too much power....
- Dealer claims 6-8 week order duration, does that seem accurate? He has some 2019's leftover as the 2020's are coming in, so ideally, I'd be able to snag a deal on a 2019, without sacrificing, layout, size, and some options, but if I need to order, I will.
- Thinking I want the bow filler seat, but where do people put coolers on these things? Port side doorway? Then your only way in/out is the stern, with the swingback, I think that's OK. Any feedback on the underseat cooler?

Thanks in advance!

I have a 23SSBXP with 2 pontoons and a 115 Yamaha. We have a cottage on a lake so no changing room for us. I don’t have a raised helm or a booster seat ( I do on my ski boat) and don’t feel that I need it. but if I had to choose I’d take the raised helm. My bolster on my ski boat isn’t very comfortable. Personally I really don’t like my bow filler seat. It doesn’t stay in place when going fast and more importantly it blocks a door. Good luck on future purchase.

Go with Bennington and you won’t regret it. We have a Yamaha 150 and the kids no longer say go faster PaPa, it works great for our needs. We have the raised helm and really like it. Not familiar with your models but if they don’t include the extended bow and stern they are well worth the extra cost. Swimming off the stern, tubing, putting on the cover the extended stern makes it much nicer. While I’m at it the power steering, not just hydraulic, but power sure enhances the boating experience. If you are considering water sports I highly recommended the SPS tritoon. BTW welcome to the forum and you won’t regret getting a Bennington. Not to mention the 10 yr bow to stern warranty. I’m sure many others will help you spend your money. While I was considering my current boat a wise man on this forum said, “buy your last boat first.” I’m glad I listened it’s much cheaper that way. Spend some time looking through this forum and you will find examples of this.

This was also my first boat. Went with a 22 SXP with the Yamaha 175 and the extended bow & stern and the raised helm. Plenty of power with the 175, but when I bring the RPM to 3000, solid burn rate of 3.9 per hour at 19 MPH. Looked at the same models but in the end, felt this was the best boat for the money and a great warranty.

Welcome! Sounds like you have some decisions ahead. Although I think all three brands you are considering are solid, like most everyone else here, I’d strongly encourage Bennington over them. The overall balance of comfort, style, options, engineering, and performance is as solid as it gets with Bennington.

I have a 24’ SSBXP SPS 200 Mercury Verado Pro. Love it! It is a great layout. And the SPS hull gives both a smooth comfortable ride in all types of water conditions, but allows for very solid water sports options too on the S-series Benningtons. Separate from the questions you asked, I’d strongly recommend the following options: extended aft deck, power assist steering, and if you go a full tritoon, the center floor storage.

As for the specific questions you had, these are my thoughts:

Raised helm or bolster seat? Raised helm is sharper looking and does raise you up a bit. I’ve been told the bolster seat raises you up more, but is not very comfy. For me the raised helm was a nice compromise.

- Do people really use the changing room? Probably depends on the family. Since we are lakefront, and wont trailer the boat, we didn’t think we would get as much use from it as compared to being able to use that space to store things for longer outings. There is a lot of storage potential beneath the swingback seats, and I wouldn’t want to lose that. However, if we trailered, I’d want the changing room option.

- Looking at the Yamaha and Mercury options, at least a 150. Based on what I've read so far, that seems ample for that boat and to do some tubing? Absolutely YES on 150 or higher if you will do tubing or water sports. As for motors, probably another personal choice. Both are great motor manufacturers. We have a 200 HP Mercury Verado Pro (supercharged i6). If you go Mercury, and want the extra zoom compared the normal model/hp, I’d go Verado Pro. If Yamaha, you certainly will get better performance from the V-Max. However, in both cases, the normal versions are going to get the job done too, and they will do so for less up front costs, and slightly lower fuel costs.

- Dealer claims 6-8 week order duration, does that seem accurate? Seems fast if you are ordering, but you are at the end of the busy season, so maybe that is a more reasonable timeframe in the fall. If they have a 2019 floor model that you like, seems like a good opportunity to try to negotiate a great deal. We ordered directly, because we wanted our last boat first. Thus, I wanted to custom pick every aspect of it, and that worked nicely for us.

- Thinking I want the bow filler seat, but where do people put coolers on these things? Port side doorway? Some on here really get use out of theirs, others do not. We really thought we’d use it. We ordered it. Used it once, and that is it. On the s-series they don’t seem to stay put, and tend to wiggle out of place. Unless you know you will be short on seating sometimes, I’d save the money. Also, even without it we have room for our maximum number of passengers in our built in seating, thus making this option irrelevant. Wish I had realized that when I ordered, but I didn’t. It now sits in our cottage guest bedroom as a chair.

- Any feedback on the underseat cooler? The one item I have no personal experience with or thoughts on. Perhaps others can give their thoughts.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I'll repost my first post here, as you are right in the same spot that I was in and the post directly addresses your questions. 2 seasons and and I still feel the same way about my choices. The only thing I would do differently is get a raised helm, and maybe not get the changing station (still haven't used it) I went with 22 versus 23 due to dock size. One less seat and several thousand cheaper. It's worked out well for me-I figured that I could always add the bow seat later but with my layout seating capacity has been a non-issue. On boarding, the extended decks make it a non issue. It's easy to board from the stern as there is a passage by the swing back. Port gate, as you mentioned, and the extended deck with the bow gate is very easy (without a bow filler seat)
BronUSER]
Active Member[/B]
Messages44Reaction score85
First, thanks to everyone on this forum where I've been lurking on all of the critical information. You all helped me enormously to make decisions in buying a new 22SSBXP swingback tritoon, with a 150 Yamaha and SPS hull. Salt Water Series. It was a fantastic summer and she is safely stored away for the winter.

Given all of the assistance from which I benefited, I'm posting for the first time in an effort to maybe help someone else who is new to pontoons/tritoons sort through the numerous options and layouts. I could not be more happy with my selection.

Layout: I got L shaped seating and a table across from the helm. The swingback with this configuration really helped to maximize seating for my many relatives and visitors. I also really appreciate the center toon storage, even though I dock my boat right at my backyard dock and can just carry stuff from the house. Having the extra space was huge, whether for tubes (we tubed a lot), gear, life jackets, fishing rods, etc, etc. On the Swingback- we LOVE this configuration. It has a lot of storage and people really enjoy lounging out back there with their own built in cupholders, We also have the keeper rail so people can spot tubers and skiers or just sit back there while underway. For how we use the boat, the swingback and keeper rail are must haves. Others of course use their boats differently and Bennington has a huge number of layout choices to match those needs beautifully.

Motor: We tubed a lot and the 150 was plenty of HP to do this. We also deal with some strong tides (more about this later) and it still handled everything that we threw at it. It can move, is really quiet and sips the fuel when you are simply cruising and aren't at full throttle. It is a great match with the SPS hull. I did not get power assist on the hydraulic steering. I don't think I needed it, as the boat handles very well and easily, even at speed. This is a personal preference and many folks have differing wants, needs, etc.

Extended Decks: The SSBXP layout came standard with bow and stern extended decks. I highly recommend them, especially if you have a tow/tubing bar, fish or just jump off to swim. Getting in and out is a breeze, as is removing and adding the cover. We also have 2 large dogs, and it makes it easier for them to get on and off board quickly. We have Seagrass flooring and we really like it, though the teak flooring looks really good. I don't think that there is a wrong choice here. Easy to clean and not hot to the touch.

Lighting: I got the toe kick lights, cup lights and lighted speakers, but no exterior or underwater lights. I know that people love them, but I really didn't miss them at all. The kids really enjoy the interior lightshow. I didn't get the Bimini lighting. My dealer's rep said "If you are out at night you don't need the Bimini, so you won't see the lights." I don't miss them, though I do see people use them and they seem to enjoy the look and it is a nice effect. Total personal preference.

Stereo: I got the kicker system with an upgraded Wet Sounds amp and sub. It pushes out more than enough sound, even at speed. I did not get the rear speakers even though we beach at sandbars and remote beaches nearby. That may be something I would reconsider, but I haven't missed them yet.

Toon Protection: I added some Vantage Pontoon Guards and wrap. I'm not sure that I needed to, but they gave me peace of mind, especially as this is my first pontoon and learning to navigate it the first few days resulted in some dock bumping. My dock is on a large tidal river right off a small harbor which leads out to Buzzards Bay and Rhode Island Sound. It is a notoriously difficult spot due to wind and strong tides, rip currents, rocks, sandbars that move every year, etc. (Its notorious-Privateers, smugglers and pirates used to hide out here from pursuit back in colonial days). Knowing that the guards are on helped my mental state in challenging conditions, as well as rafting up to other boats. I also bought larger bumpers than what came with the boat. A few Nor'easters later, I'm glad that I did.

Seat covers: It came with the Simtex, and I don't have much to compare it to, but it has been easy to clean and no protectant is required. No staining, even with Cheetos!

Privacy Enclosure: We never used it. A "nice to have" but not a "must have"
I guess. No portable toilet, but they seem very easy to come by if we ever decide we need one. I just have to make sure it will fit under the Swingback.

Extra cupholders: We got a few of the movable cushioned ones that slip into the seating and stay put. I would recommend getting at least one. They saw constant use and are easy to stow if not needed.

Battery: I have 2 batteries. I would recommend it, as I needed the second battery once. Also, it is the cheapest of the options that I added. No brainer.

Elevated Helm: I did not get this. I wouldn't say that I need it, but in retrospect it would have been nice to have.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
2018 21ssbxp Yamaha 150 Fourstroke Salt Water Series SPS
[URL='http://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/reflections-on-1st-season-of-ownership.9514/reply?quote=124398']Quote[/URL] [URL='http://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/reflections-on-1st-season-of-ownership.9514/reply?quote=124398']Reply[/URL]
[URL='http://club.benningtonmarine.com/posts/124398/report']Report[/URL] [URL='http://club.benningtonmarine.com/posts/124398/edit']Edit[/URL]
[LIST]
[*]
[/LIST]
Reactions:[URL='http://club.benningtonmarine.com/posts/124398/reactions']Tomc, Mike31406, David G and 14 others[/URL]

Last edited:
Well, I agree with all the great comments. I will provide a more dealer focused response as I bought from the dealer on lake wallenpaupack that I assume you are talking with and had and still am having an exceptional experience with lighthouse harbor, such an amazing group that really treats you really well beyond the purchase transaction. Keep in mind that not only do you want an excellent boat, you want an excellent marina as well! I think you will love whatever decision you make!

Wow, thank you all for the quick responses and information! Love the “last boat first” theory. Heading back up next weekend to stop in the other dealers and poke around. I’m sure I’ll have additional questions after that. Thanks!

Well, I agree with all the great comments. I will provide a more dealer focused response as I bought from the dealer on lake wallenpaupack that I assume you are talking with and had and still am having an exceptional experience with lighthouse harbor, such an amazing group that really treats you really well beyond the purchase transaction. Keep in mind that not only do you want an excellent boat, you want an excellent marina as well! I think you will love whatever decision you make!

We stopped in there last weekend and they were incredibly helpful. I said right away, we weren’t buying a boat for a couple months and they were still willing to talk to us, show us a few models, etc. No pressure whatsoever. Seems like a great dealer/marina.

I think you get the idea: Bennington quality, stretch a bit if possible to get your "forever" boat, go with the raised helm and extended deck, tri-toon sps with 150 minimum will get it done but skip the changing station and filler seat (at least on that size/model. We love our's but it's on a 25 so it doesn't get in the way.) Good luck with all your decisions and enjoy the process...

All the manufacturers you mention have great boats. My preference is Bennington, but go with what works best for you and your family. After you decide....Don’t Look Back ⚓⚓

I'll repost my first post here, as you are right in the same spot that I was in and the post directly addresses your questions. 2 seasons and and I still feel the same way about my choices. The only thing I would do differently is get a raised helm, and maybe not get the changing station (still haven't used it) I went with 22 versus 23 due to dock size. One less seat and several thousand cheaper. It's worked out well for me-I figured that I could always add the bow seat later but with my layout seating capacity has been a non-issue. On boarding, the extended decks make it a non issue. It's easy to board from the stern as there is a passage by the swing back. Port gate, as you mentioned, and the extended deck with the bow gate is very easy (without a bow filler seat)
BronUSER]
Active Member[/B]
Messages44Reaction score85
First, thanks to everyone on this forum where I've been lurking on all of the critical information. You all helped me enormously to make decisions in buying a new 22SSBXP swingback tritoon, with a 150 Yamaha and SPS hull. Salt Water Series. It was a fantastic summer and she is safely stored away for the winter.

Given all of the assistance from which I benefited, I'm posting for the first time in an effort to maybe help someone else who is new to pontoons/tritoons sort through the numerous options and layouts. I could not be more happy with my selection.

Layout: I got L shaped seating and a table across from the helm. The swingback with this configuration really helped to maximize seating for my many relatives and visitors. I also really appreciate the center toon storage, even though I dock my boat right at my backyard dock and can just carry stuff from the house. Having the extra space was huge, whether for tubes (we tubed a lot), gear, life jackets, fishing rods, etc, etc. On the Swingback- we LOVE this configuration. It has a lot of storage and people really enjoy lounging out back there with their own built in cupholders, We also have the keeper rail so people can spot tubers and skiers or just sit back there while underway. For how we use the boat, the swingback and keeper rail are must haves. Others of course use their boats differently and Bennington has a huge number of layout choices to match those needs beautifully.

Motor: We tubed a lot and the 150 was plenty of HP to do this. We also deal with some strong tides (more about this later) and it still handled everything that we threw at it. It can move, is really quiet and sips the fuel when you are simply cruising and aren't at full throttle. It is a great match with the SPS hull. I did not get power assist on the hydraulic steering. I don't think I needed it, as the boat handles very well and easily, even at speed. This is a personal preference and many folks have differing wants, needs, etc.

Extended Decks: The SSBXP layout came standard with bow and stern extended decks. I highly recommend them, especially if you have a tow/tubing bar, fish or just jump off to swim. Getting in and out is a breeze, as is removing and adding the cover. We also have 2 large dogs, and it makes it easier for them to get on and off board quickly. We have Seagrass flooring and we really like it, though the teak flooring looks really good. I don't think that there is a wrong choice here. Easy to clean and not hot to the touch.

Lighting: I got the toe kick lights, cup lights and lighted speakers, but no exterior or underwater lights. I know that people love them, but I really didn't miss them at all. The kids really enjoy the interior lightshow. I didn't get the Bimini lighting. My dealer's rep said "If you are out at night you don't need the Bimini, so you won't see the lights." I don't miss them, though I do see people use them and they seem to enjoy the look and it is a nice effect. Total personal preference.

Stereo: I got the kicker system with an upgraded Wet Sounds amp and sub. It pushes out more than enough sound, even at speed. I did not get the rear speakers even though we beach at sandbars and remote beaches nearby. That may be something I would reconsider, but I haven't missed them yet.

Toon Protection: I added some Vantage Pontoon Guards and wrap. I'm not sure that I needed to, but they gave me peace of mind, especially as this is my first pontoon and learning to navigate it the first few days resulted in some dock bumping. My dock is on a large tidal river right off a small harbor which leads out to Buzzards Bay and Rhode Island Sound. It is a notoriously difficult spot due to wind and strong tides, rip currents, rocks, sandbars that move every year, etc. (Its notorious-Privateers, smugglers and pirates used to hide out here from pursuit back in colonial days). Knowing that the guards are on helped my mental state in challenging conditions, as well as rafting up to other boats. I also bought larger bumpers than what came with the boat. A few Nor'easters later, I'm glad that I did.

Seat covers: It came with the Simtex, and I don't have much to compare it to, but it has been easy to clean and no protectant is required. No staining, even with Cheetos!

Privacy Enclosure: We never used it. A "nice to have" but not a "must have"
I guess. No portable toilet, but they seem very easy to come by if we ever decide we need one. I just have to make sure it will fit under the Swingback.

Extra cupholders: We got a few of the movable cushioned ones that slip into the seating and stay put. I would recommend getting at least one. They saw constant use and are easy to stow if not needed.

Battery: I have 2 batteries. I would recommend it, as I needed the second battery once. Also, it is the cheapest of the options that I added. No brainer.

Elevated Helm: I did not get this. I wouldn't say that I need it, but in retrospect it would have been nice to have.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
2018 21ssbxp Yamaha 150 Fourstroke Salt Water Series SPS
[URL='http://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/reflections-on-1st-season-of-ownership.9514/reply?quote=124398']Quote[/URL] [URL='http://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/reflections-on-1st-season-of-ownership.9514/reply?quote=124398']Reply[/URL]
[URL='http://club.benningtonmarine.com/posts/124398/report']Report[/URL] [URL='http://club.benningtonmarine.com/posts/124398/edit']Edit[/URL]
[LIST]
[*]
[/LIST]
Reactions:[URL='http://club.benningtonmarine.com/posts/124398/reactions']Tomc, Mike31406, David G and 14 others[/URL]
Do you like the Vantage protection system? I am considering this for mine over the winter. I would like to get the wrap with the bumper guard but was hoping someone had first hand experience with it. I ordered mine with Sharkhide (my dealer told me it was a waste of money), and I should have listened to him. Sharkhide is a joke and I have not been impressed at all. I wish I would have saved the $500 and put it toward something that does work. Any input you can give would be appreciated.

We have a changing room / privacy enclosure and love it. We have a porta potty in it and have enough room to change as well. Very convenient for us when we have many family members on the boat.

Do you like the Vantage protection system? I am considering this for mine over the winter. I would like to get the wrap with the bumper guard but was hoping someone had first hand experience with it. I ordered mine with Sharkhide (my dealer told me it was a waste of money), and I should have listened to him. Sharkhide is a joke and I have not been impressed at all. I wish I would have saved the $500 and put it toward something that does work. Any input you can give would be appreciated.

I wonder how much the type of water a boat is in impacts how successful the Sharkhide is in helping maintain the luster or the pontoons? I know it has worked great on our boat, so it always surprises me when a few others report issue with it.

I know Steve (aka Michman) had the Vantage Guard added to his boat this past year and is finishing his first summer with it. I am looking forward to hearing from him about his thoughts with a full summer under his belt (hint, hint...lol). Hopefully he’ll see this and give you (and vicariously me) his thoughts on it.

I
I'm glad that I have the wrap and guards. Pontoons with the high walls and toons themselves handle very differently than V hull boats and when there is wind and tide involved (as is the case where we use the boat) it can be a challenge, especially when you first get the boat. It continues when I have guests who insist on "helping" to dock or do other things. I've had some serious bumping and the guards definitely took the hits. They still look brand new, however.

Not ever having a pontoon without them, I can't compare to not having them or what the toons would look like without them. I recommend them, especially if you can get the negotiated discount on a buy to cover them, too

Sharkhide is a joke and I have not been impressed at all. I wish I would have saved the $500 and put it toward something that does work. Any input you can give would be appreciated.

So what was your expectation, or your dealers guarantee about the sharkhide? I find that 99% of the Sharkhide issues are lack of knowledge about what it can and can’t do, and dealers ignorance about the product. Year 3 and our toons still look new above the water line other than some minor scuffing here and there. They still look 10 times better than our last toon did after ONE YEAR without it.

I wonder how much the type of water a boat is in impacts how successful the Sharkhide is in helping maintain the luster or the pontoons? I know it has worked great on our boat, so it always surprises me when a few others report issue with it.

I know Steve (aka Michman) had the Vantage Guard added to his boat this past year and is finishing his first summer with it. I am looking forward to hearing from him about his thoughts with a full summer under his belt (hint, hint...lol). Hopefully he’ll see this and give you (and vicariously me) his thoughts on it.
I got the boat in May. I trailer the boat or have on a lift except for 1 week in the summer. My toons quickly developed black streaks, water spots that don’t come off, blemishes in the Sharkhide from a bumper touching them. I have spoke to the owner of Sharkhide and he says the water does play a part of the effectiveness of the product. He went on to tell me that Table Rock Lake is the worst lake for water quality due to its very hard water. The water is clear and clean but he made it sound like it’s worse than salt water. He also says it’s better if the boat doesn’t sit in the water for any length of time, not to let bumpers rub up against them, not let anything really touch the toons themselves, etc. If something does rub the Sharkhide off, buy more and re-apply. Sounds like I need to really look at this Vantage product.

So what was your expectation, or your dealers guarantee about the sharkhide? I find that 99% of the Sharkhide issues are lack of knowledge about what it can and can’t do, and dealers ignorance about the product. Year 3 and our toons still look new above the water line other than some minor scuffing here and there. They still look 10 times better than our last toon did after ONE YEAR without it.
My dealer actually told me it was a waste of money but I did it anyway. I am very particular about my things and my expectation was the toons would be easy to clean and would stay shiny for at least a couple seasons. At least for me, That hasn’t happened. Lots of black streaks, heavy water spots that are impossible to remove, etc. The Sharkhide has rubbed off in a couple spots from bumper rash (my fault). Maybe my toons would look much worse if I didn’t have the Sharkhide, but they are certainly a lot harder to take care of than what I expected.

I

I'm glad that I have the wrap and guards. Pontoons with the high walls and toons themselves handle very differently than V hull boats and when there is wind and tide involved (as is the case where we use the boat) it can be a challenge, especially when you first get the boat. It continues when I have guests who insist on "helping" to dock or do other things. I've had some serious bumping and the guards definitely took the hits. They still look brand new, however.

Not ever having a pontoon without them, I can't compare to not having them or what the toons would look like without them. I recommend them, especially if you can get the negotiated discount on a buy to cover them, too
Thanks for the info Bronco as I appreciate your time. I am seriously considering this wrap and guards as I think it will make the toons look much better, above the water line for sure.

Back