New pontoon owner

Rens0058

Reaction score
Hello all I have several questions! First I would like to start with I’ve owned a few boats over the years but never a toon. Im in the process of purchasing a 2250 GCW with a 150 horse outboard. I have two main questions. The boat doesn’t have a trailer, while I wait for my lift to get changed from a v hull is it safe to leave in the water for approximately three weeks this winter ( it’s on a lift now). I’ve always had inboards and have hauled them home and winterized them so this is new.

Second I know there are a lot of variables, this there a way to estimate what speeds I can get out of it? Don’t need anything crazy, it had lifting strakes and we will probably have 5 adults and 3 kids most of the time.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase!

Both answers you're looking for are "it depends". With respect to leaving the boat in the water in winter, many of us do it without issue. You do have to take some simple precautions to avoid freeze issues in your lower unit (change gear oil and/or leave it tilted down in the water), but for the most part nothing else is generally at risk. But you may be in an area with current and perhaps up north where there are hard freeze and ice flows I'd probably just store it on dry if you can.

As far as speed goes again it will depend on your toon type (twin elliptical? tritoon?), options such as wave tamer underskinning and prop. But I'm guessing based on this performance bulletin from Yamaha mid-high 30's with a full load.

You might benefit from doing a search in the rest of the forum for similar setup as yours, or reach out to Bennington and one of their engineers might be able to give you a speed guesstimate.

Again congrats!

Search "List your specs here" - great source to find data on similar Benny's.

Search "List your specs here" - great source to find data on similar Benny's.

Here is the direct link that LA is refering to above:

List Your Specs Here

Also, as Poto mentioned above, more details about your location and hull set up would be required to give answers to your questions. All of that said, CONGRATULATIONS! I hope you consider posting some pictures of your “new to you” Bennington sometime.

Hopefully the link above can help you answer your second questions about anticipated speed and performance. Find the closest match to your boat: length, model, hull, and prop as well as performance/ride related options such as underskinning. The closer you match up the comparison, the more accurate it will be.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase!

Both answers you're looking for are "it depends". With respect to leaving the boat in the water in winter, many of us do it without issue. You do have to take some simple precautions to avoid freeze issues in your lower unit (change gear oil and/or leave it tilted down in the water), but for the most part nothing else is generally at risk. But you may be in an area with current and perhaps up north where there are hard freeze and ice flows I'd probably just store it on dry if you can.

As far as speed goes again it will depend on your toon type (twin elliptical? tritoon?), options such as wave tamer underskinning and prop. But I'm guessing based on this performance bulletin from Yamaha mid-high 30's with a full load.

You might benefit from doing a search in the rest of the forum for similar setup as yours, or reach out to Bennington and one of their engineers might be able to give you a speed guesstimate.

Again congrats!
Thank you, I’m in Missouri. The lake has never froze over so I think I’ll be in ok shape. I know a lot of people leave boats in the water all winter. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. Thank you

Also

If you have any options that contain water ie kitchenette or livewells you may have additional winterization steps (Bennington Owners manual). Check your outboard manual as well - I have a Yamaha so can't speak for the other OEMs.

Back