New Problems - Near Electrical Fire

Am I able to take rain checks on these and let each of you know when we might be traveling in the vicinity? Or are unannounced drop-ins fine? ;)

My invitation is open anytime. You could swing through on your way to Florida for the winter boating.

Dealership was putting together paperwork to send in regarding electrical system. All damage seems to be between Perko switch and the rest of the boat. Perko switch to batteries, and Sea Legs wiring appears fine.

They believe there may have been some compromised wiring in there and at the root of the battery drain issue, and now this near fire. I don’t know. Not sure what to think, but dealership said it is often taking them weeks and weeks to even hear back on small inquiries from some of their different manufacturers. We’ll see how it goes. Talking to other friends that work there, they are not optimistic that I’ll have it this summer at all. Some were thinking it could take the rest of this year just to get all the parts if it is as extensive as feared…. May 2022 anyone?

I am only 1 weekend in, and going out of my mind as this of course is the first big boating weekend in Michigan. I am honestly starting to rethink my/our summer plans.

If any jet skis were available in inventory anywhere (I called probably a half dozen delaerships across Michigan on my ride up Thursday), I’d probably do something VERY uncharacteristic and make an unplanned purchase. Starting to scour FB marketplace looking at some used PWC. Always wanted one, but never willing to ”spring” for one, and always poo-poo‘d by my wife.

Also contemplating doing some traveling instead of just staying at the cottage and hosting people all summer. Only have people planed for a couple different weeks so far, so I might just put the breaks on scheduling others and hit the road during some time frame gaps in our lake house schedule. Of course, that is dependent on logistics for wife who stills works from home and on our younger kids schedules.

Decisions, decisions. Sorry…a bit of a whinny post. Anyhow, that’s my update - that there is no update. Probably wont know anything for awhile, so I’ll update when I can.

Dammit, this sucks Viking. Can they not give you some basic re-wiring to get you back on the water while they perform the warranty work? What do you really need anyways, just battery to motor? You don't even need nav lights if you're just going to run during the day. If you really really need your sealegs get a new battery 2 and direct wire that.

Having a compromised albeit running pontoon still beats a jetski - please don't join that crowd!! And apologies to any jetskier types out there, you know you're universally hated by anyone else on the water. Not fair or deserved in many cases but just part of the deal. :p

Viking staff pick a city close enough for a day trip and go to trip advisor and look at things to do. Amazed how many people in NY haven’t done or seen that the tourists flock to

That's really disappointing from a dealer standpoint. Honestly, the schematic for that boat fits on a napkin. Someone even moderately competent with marine electrical should be able to figure what went on in a day or so. Then, get onto the re-wire plan and fixing. There are guys all over in Florida who do nothing but this sort of work, a really great one in Jacksonville. Wish I could be of some help ...

Doesn't the dealer have a boat you can "use" for the summer?!? Doesn't have to be a 200 with an SPS. Maybe somebody in the family can step up bring a boat to your cottage for all of the tubing this year!

OK, several thoughts: It's the monster wake boats that cause most of the heartburn and trouble here (they produce waves that are destructive and can be lethal at more than a hundred yards). The newer PWC's are pretty quiet and not much trouble. If you decide to go that route, I can highly recommend The SeaDoo GTX 170. They are moderately priced and preform well above the electronically capped 170 HP rating (acceleration in sport mode will put a big smile on your face). They have good stability and ride three-up. I "walked" away for some kid that thought he'd buzz the old guy...I was doing 56 MPH STANDING UP and still had a little left! (although even laying out, the electronic cap kicks in about 57-58 depending on wind, water and load as the max RPM is always 7600)

Here is another consideration for the electrical short. Do you have open bus connections inside your helm (our pontoon does). Is it possible something stored in there fell or was pushed against a contact. That might explain the power leakage that turned into a short. BTW: in addition to things mentioned above, another item that is frequently hot-wired (but separately circuit protected ) is motor trim.

Last edited:
Viking staff pick a city close enough for a day trip and go to trip advisor and look at things to do. Amazed how many people in NY haven’t done or seen that the tourists flock to
Great idea! I am considering this too. We have some phenomenal places in Michigan to visit, but often don’t because of what we have going on at the cottage. This may be the summer to take more of them in.

Great idea! I am considering this too. We have some phenomenal places in Michigan to visit, but often don’t because of what we have going on at the cottage. This may be the summer to take more of them in.
If you haven't been there ,try a Smash Burger at Clydes in the U.P.

Someone mentioned Clydes to me a few weeks ago. Drove right by it but that was before I heard about it.
If you haven't been there ,try a Smash Burger at Clydes in the U.P.

Any updates on the boat or better yet, your road trip adventures?

Update:

Took the dealership a month to take their first look at it. They gave it an initial inspection about a week ago. They are very backlogged on work due to boom in sales.

They can not definitively determine the cause yet, so could go any number of ways: warranty, dealership insurance or my insurance depending on cause. If cause cannot be definitively determined, then it’ll fall back on my insurance. Both the dealership and my insurance claims aduster said often in this sort of electrical meltdown or near-fire situations the main cause cannot be determined because it in effect was melted/burnt away during the incident.

Anyway, they got pre-approval from my insurance adjuster (in case it ends up there) to take off sea legs and underskirting to look over entire electrical harness, and all other wiring systems. If isolated to main harness and related wiring, estimate is somewhere around 4-5k. No time frame yet on parts availability.

I was told they will need to minimally replace the main electrical harness and some other related electrical items to then run power trough the system to check other things such as fuses, instrumentation, motor, Perko switch, sea legs, etc…. Hopefully little or no other damage is in those ares, but we’ll see.

We will hopefully have the first stage examined thoroughly by the end of this upcoming week leading into the July 4th holiday. By the week after that we will hopefully know what direction the ”claim” is going in depending on the cause (if they can fully determine it). Ideally we’ll also have a repair time estimate at that point too.

So nothing definitive yet. I was originally going to wait on an update until I knew more. Still may be a week or so on getting to that point.

In Related News:

I had put myself on some waiting lists with a few dealership for a new PWC shortly after this happened in May. Everyone in the state is sold out for the season on new ones, but I got on some waiting lists in case someone declines their order when it comes in.

This past Tuesday I was informed a couple that placed an order 3-4 months ago for a 2021 Sea Doo GTI SE 170 w/ sound decided not to accept their order when it arrived. The 3 people ahead of me on the wait list turned it down. After looking into that model a bit, and working to get my wife on board, we decided to get it. I‘m super excited about it!

I was able to find a new jet ski lift at another dealerships and got it delivered Saturday (I put it in today). We were also able to find a 1 year old 2020 single place Yacht Club trailer (painted black) at the dealerships that someone had just traded in for a two place trailer.

Thus, we are 100% squared away for getting the new jet ski!

Due to a backlog of prepping new orders at our dealership, the jet ski is scheduled to be ready for pickup on Monday, July 5th. Very excited!

Stock photo of jet ski as well as our lift are below:

501DF800-F028-4591-91E3-1F2052560B87.jpegCF88B88A-9072-4612-B39C-489AAB8047B3.jpegE26D092A-5CE7-4C09-9389-3C95C96429D8.jpegFDD6226E-FA54-4387-A161-FA536C05A0FE.jpeg

Last edited:
Glad things are moving forward for you and everyone seems to be pulling in the right direction. Have fun with the new ski!

Small update addition: Per the sage advice of Steve, aka Michiman, I am having my dealership run two extra electrical cables to the helm for future upgrades since the Sea Legs and under skirting are all removed. They will just be sitting there waiting for any future connections. Thanks for this BRILLIANT idea Steve!!!

At least one is likely to be run to an amp under the helm at some point (leaning into next summer on this one), and then perhaps I can add in a subwoofer under the Swingback seating to round off the sound system further down the road (or perhaps under the helm with the second wire that is being added…?).

The other spare wire to the helm will be just that, unless we end up putting a future subwoofer under there. Maybe a trivial thing, but coming out of this lost summer on the Benny at least the groundwork is laid for potential future sound system improvements.

Goal: having some good come out of this mess!

Last edited:
Glad you'll be on the water one way or another. You sure were
lucky. Still waiting for my Wave Runners ordered last August 13th.
Totally got lucky (although I am not sure my wife feels that way, lol). Honestly, I didn’t think I’d get a call when I had my name added to the wait list.

But onto your situation. Ordered last August…? And still not in? Yikes!!! What’s up with that? I am sorry to hear you are still waiting on them. What make and models do you have on order Yianni?

Back