New Problems - Near Electrical Fire

Very excited for you! Been following along since your first post about the fire. Excited to see pics of your boat back on the water

Aww man now you gotta take the jet ski back! Ha!
But... he will have to put in twice the time on the boat for losing last summer

Aww man now you gotta take the jet ski back! Ha!
I am not sharing this comment with my wife. :p The jet ski is a keeper! :cool:

But... he will have to put in twice the time on the boat for losing last summer
Truth! :)

I will try not to ignore the jet ski too much as the Bennington will certainly be the focus once again. That said, I have now have an easier outlet when I just want to go fast and sprint around the lake. It will also be fun for family and friends.

Anyways, thanks everyone with your well wishes and encouragement during this process. No one appreciates the situation quite like all of you fellow Bennington pontooners. I will keep you posted with the hope this all plays out the way it should at his point.

Excited to see pics of your boat back on the water
I will be sure to post one when summer comes around and we have it in the water again.

Everything but sea legs has been put back together.

The boat passed all of the first set of system checks on the electrical system, motor, etc.. Dealer service tech said it is 100% good to go once the sea legs are put on. :cool:

They will still do the water test to be extra certain. However, they have reassured me (umm…a few times) they finally got it all set. :)

So thrilled!!!

I want to be guarded with my level of excitement after what we have went through with the dang boat since getting it out of winter storage last May.

However, I cannot help myself. I feel nearly the same way I did in the winter of 2017 when our boat was delivered to the dealership and we were simply waiting on summer to get it for the first time.

What they say is true: Absence makes the heart grow fonder. ;)
So happy for you! It sucks that you had to go through it but it will make this season suwheat!

I haven’t been without a boat since I was a wee lad, so I can’t begin to imagine what that felt like for you. I’m glad you’re feeling that excitement though! I’ll look forward to seeing you on the water this summer.

Let’s go spring!!!!

Great news Vilkingstaff.

Per the dealership service department, our boat is FINALLY 100% repaired and put back together - including re-installation of Sea Legs. :)

Took 11 months and 3 weeks!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Inspection and payment scheduled for Thur, May 12th.

Splash it back in on Friday, May 14th. —> if all is well during inspection.

Dealership better be right that it is 100% good to go. This has been an utter nightmare to date. Fingers crossed!

Per the dealership service department, our boat is FINALLY 100% repaired and put back together - including re-installation of Sea Legs. :)

Dealership better be right that it is 100% good to go. This has been an utter nightmare to date. Fingers crossed!
11 months and 3 weeks?!? It wasn't that long of a wait was it?!? Ha!

This year is Friday the 13th .

Wow, what a nightmare, huh?? Fingers crossed that you’re back on the lake as scheduled, even if spring is taking it’s sweet time arriving.

OMG! You are right. I’m screwed!!!
Just deal with it like hotel elevators -- no 13th floor listed. As far as you're concerned, next Friday is May 14th.

If you use a battery tender, be sure it and the battery has open air. They create flammable vapors you know. LOL I say that somewhat jokingly since they blamed your fire on battery charging if I recall.

Just deal with it like hotel elevators -- no 13th floor listed. As far as you're concerned, next Friday is May 14th.
Smart thinking. I get my boat on Friday May “14th”. Ha, ha.

Last edited:
I had to take a few days to cool down slightly to update in here. Boat and new lakeside neighbor issues have hijacked my last few days.

Update - boat only.

Short Version: Boat is now operational and dockside. However, it has numerous minor damages all over the boat from carelessness while it was in for repairs.

*Edited:

Long Version: Only read below if this has become a riveting soap opera for you and you cannot resist.

1) Went for scheduled inspection of boat on 5/12. Delivery was scheduled for next day at noon. Boat was not ready for inspection. I was concerned. I was assured all was well and good to go for tomorrow.

2) Out of patience with the situation, I decide I’ll just inspect it on trailer and dockside at boat launch the next day.

3) Motor and boat electronics are all checking out at boat launch. However, Sea Legs are getting no power, but otherwise appear hooked up properly. Back to the service department we go with it.

4) Talk to service manager politely as I still need them to try to accommodate getting this corrected, preferably on the spot. However they are swamped for pre-Memorial Day preps and delivery’s.

5) Very surprisingly, new battery #2 is dead. Sea Legs hooked up to this one. They swap batteries with a different brand as they didn’t have any Intimidator’s on the shelf. Hook Sea Legs back up. All works as it should now. Boat is at this point functionally useable once again.

6) Drop in water, spend a few hours off and on boating and testing things out the rest of the afternoon. It was an unusually beautify and warm May day, so we took advantage of having the boat. This part was heavenly. Boy had I missed this part of the experience. Hadn’t had use of it since Oct of 2020 when it had been sent in for winterization and storage.

The Good: We have the boat back. Apparent repairs were finally successful. All systems (minus bimini Light for night boating) are working. We can in fact boat on our lake this summer.

The BAD: We have numerous damages to the boat form while it was in for repairs. These are damages that did not exist prior to towing it in for repairs last May. Also one area of damage from 3 years ago that was caused by them not yet remedied.

Damages: bimini cover, motor cowl, rear black out ladder, and 2 front fencing panels. Pictures below of some of the damage mentioned.

86093F40-5656-4D1D-8CAA-53D8257DD9AC.jpeg B0D3CD51-AE60-4E90-A015-D18E0AA39740.jpeg A5566610-7CEE-43C2-8EA1-DEB6B854AD79.jpeg 6B67ACA1-8BA4-4CBF-8E72-C82DE23D3B1F.jpeg D5080988-2DBA-4572-AFA2-B17BD5923EF7.jpeg 85157D17-3D7D-4705-913D-01BF105EFF1D.jpeg

Per the advice of another member in the forum I am friends with on the lake, I am going to reach out directly to the owner of the dealership. I have scheduled a dock side meeting with the owner and the general manager to look it all over and come to a resolution.

Last edited:
Back