New PTMEdge pontoon boat mirror.

What I meant was...... See if the small mirror will fit the new base?!?

Ok, spent some time this weekend dialing in my PTM - I had use gloves to get enough grab to tighten the mirror enough so it did not flop around. I think the ideal Helm Install location would have been a few inches to the left, maybe as much as 6 inches or more, so the mirror would sit lower. I might try drilling a hole to lower the mirror mount - have to further inspect to see if possible. But, certainly amazing to be able to see the tubers and boats coming up behind be most of the time without looking back!!!! And it quickly folds down and no issues with the mooring cover.

Attachments

• PXL_20220606_023318334.jpg
    PXL_20220606_023318334.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20220606_025143850.jpg
    PXL_20220606_025143850.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 30
I feel like the mirror obstructs too much of forward view. It is a super nice product. I am going to try out the latest model of the rail mount one. I’m hoping that it will work when attached to the Bimini rail up higher, kinda like a conventional car mirror. If that works it will not have any forward obstruction and still would be good for rear view. Another benefit would be: it’s above all melon heads in the rear.

I feel like the mirror obstructs too much of forward view. It is a super nice product. I am going to try out the latest model of the rail mount one. I’m hoping that it will work when attached to the Bimini rail up higher, kinda like a conventional car mirror. If that works it will not have any forward obstruction and still would be good for rear view. Another benefit would be: it’s above all melon heads in the rear.
One thing I did notice with the new adjustable "arm" on the new mirror is it isn't as tall as my old previous one. I'm still able to look past it and it doesn't block anything!

I will take a picture of mine as I ended up mounting it on the Bimini rail up higher. I really like it.

That would be awesome, thank you.

That’s exactly what I was talking about. Well done! No blocked view to front and high enough to see over melon heads in rear. The PTM one I ordered with rail mount was an older style and it didn’t have the range of motion to put up like that. I’m going to make sure I get the latest version of it so I can do the same. (It’s going to be my 5th mirror order)

Good thinking about shake. I didn’t consider that.
Could we see a video of the mirror in action?

I can't speak for anyone else, but my bimini has a speed limit when deployed. Mounting that big mirror on a bimini strut would not work. I want the mirror at any speed, and I would think the rigidity in mounting it on the boat rail far exceeds that of a strut. It's not exactly a light mirror anyway it's so well constructed. I am very, very happy with it mounted on the side rail. I'm guessing you have a smaller motor and leave your bimini deployed full time based on how you mounted it. Otherwise, you have to take that base off with an allen mid trip if you want to fly across the water with your bimini down.

Wouldn't work for me either , we don't use the bimini. My past 2 Q's it wouldn't work on the side rail, and I have been advised not to drill into my helm.

I like this as an idea that may work for some. For us, we almost never use our bimini. I wouldn’t be surprised if we only deploy it 2-3 times per year. If I ever get one, I will likely side rail mount it as others have done. All of that said, the up and out of the way mount in the picture above is such a great spot otherwise.

Jack mounted on Bimini frame?
If the frames shakes too much then mirror would be the same. If side rail shakes too much, it’s time to see dealer or repair person.

My R was an arch ,Q's, it had to be mounted too far forward and could not be laid flat to cover

So the question is still : does it vibrate too much when attached to bimini frame? A action video would be perfect.

I would think it has too. If the bimini frame shakes while under way , the mirror is going
to shake . If i had got another RCW , I would have bought one in a heartbeat .My RCW was side rail mounted, it didn't budge.

Back