New to Bennington... 22 SSRX gets picked up this week!

thunderheadj

Reaction score
I can still negotiate a bit on prop, but don't want to make a bad choice.  I searched the forums for my answers (site:club.benningtonmarine.com) to no avail.  I have the express tube option with strakes on it only.  I have the Yamaha '15 115hp.  I have always run stainless for performance on prior speed boats, but know very little about attributes on pontoons and props.  Generally, the 4 blade got me out of the hole better with top speed loss, and the 3 blade with slight cups on the edges proved to be my best choice on my 2102 VIP Victory with a 350mag, running 5150 rpm at 63mph.  I know that rpm is key.  I see a lot of posts where people are maxing out at 5300 rpm for example when the motor is meant to run 6300rpm from what i've read.  To me, its not the correct prop, or  the boat is overloaded.... but most of the posts i'm reading are about top end speed and they were not loaded to the max...  I do want the best performance like most.  I will unload at the beach to go tubing and skiing and usually have no more than 3 passengers on the boat when playing.  I would really like to see the advertised 32mph or more when all said and done with 2 adults and full tank.  Is this possible with the stock Yamy prop?  (honestly i would like to push 35mph...but that's because i'm human.  Keep in mind, i do know that if I went with a different boat and upgraded to the 150, i would be happier.  However, i have a budget.  I didn't buy the 150 and i just want the best performance out of what i have.  Thanks to all!  

Well I am far from an expert, or frankly even knowledgeable on props for your boat. I do know that you really won't see a performance benefit to Stainless steel on a 115, now depending on your lake bottom, there are still some discussions on here of aluminum being easier dinged but also more forgiving. I would scroll through the "list your specs" topic and look at similar setups. I think some have gotten 32 and a bit more with the 115, as you said, 150 is the way you should go as has been proven time and time again on here, but hey, there's always the next boat!! Hehe probably a search of "upgrading" will bring up a few great topics some of the members have posted of their 115 experiences. Oh, and who advertised 32mph? Hopefully your dealer and you have it in writing, just in case. Welcome to the forum, there is a lot of great people and helpful things, but just like life, sometimes you have to search for a while!! Haha :D

Here is a link to the list your specs topic, Kaydano is on there and tells his props and speeds. He has a post on here about his upgrade, but for the life of me I tried searching and for some reason can not find it! Hope this helps some

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/755-list-your-specs-here/

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 115. Best tubing performance for me was the Mercury Spitfire.

What model boat do you have? That is important info as weight is a huge factor. I have an S and you can see my perf numbers in my signature line.

Put your boat info in your signature. It will often lead to quicker answered for you.

Oops. I thought my Spitfire speed was in there. As I recall, it dropped top speed to 30mph. But tubing was much better.

You listed it as 32 in the "List your spec" topic, why the heck can't I find your big write up on the upgrade? or am I thinking of Lakeliving and his 200? Or am I just on a sugar high from maple syrup? 

I was able to put over 10 hours on the boat this week.  had a blast.  Prop is not the right one for sure however.  Just got off the phone with the dealer and he said he would give me full value back on the crappy aluminum prop (145) towards a Yamaha stainless that retails for $518.....  Doesn't sound too great of a deal.  I like to bargain shop for stuff like this.  

Here's what happened.  The boat is an SSRX 22' with the express tube and 115 Yam. It's a pretty light boat.  We had either 2 or 4 adults with 2-3 coolers and some toys etc and 2 young kids @ 80 and 60 lbs.

The boat has a 13 5/8 x 13 aluminum yami prop.  It launches out of the hole much better than expected and gets on plane right away....however, no matter how i trim it, the prop slips like crazy after planing.  If I ease into the throttle after launching, it will grab and climb to about 30mph GPS.  Problem. If I mash the throttle, it will jump up to 65 to 6600 rpm!  Partly due to slipping, partly due to wrong prop?  If i trim down all the way it will still hit 6500.  When it is trimmed at what feels like the sweet spot where the motor seems to be happy, i am only at 3/4 throttle at about 3/4 trimmed up according to trim gauge.  If someone walks from the back to the front, it will lose grip and slip and fall flat again.  

Dealer says that it needs a stainless prop, the Yamaha 14" x 13 pitch.  He says this should fix it.  Too much flex on the aluminum.  I don't know about that....  It seems to me that it needs a larger diameter for sure, but I would think a 14p would be better considering my rpm should max at 6100.  I just need a prop that will grip.  There is really no setting as far as the motor goes, trying to lower it a notch.  It's at it's lowest setting, resting on the top of the transom.  I almost feel like the motor is up too high...  I had to keep most of my weight in the back of the boat to be able to keep decent grip.  

Any thoughts?  I need to get something ordered.  Is the dealer on the right track?  Should I be looking for a Merc prop llike a Mirage Plus maybe?  14x14ish?  I've had quite a bit of experience with props on 21 foot bowriders with 300+ horse inboards, mixed with trim tabs, hooked hulls etc.. but this is a whole different beast.

Thanks in advance everyone.

I just purchased a 24SSRX Yamaha F115B. the initial prop was a 14.5x13 pitch and I had the same issue the dealer replaced with a 14.5 x15 on the SPS per Tritoon.

The slippage is gone and WOT with 4 adults and 3 small children is 5900 to 6000 I have not installed the GPS for speed yet plan on checking it today it feels much faster than my last pontoon with a mercury 115 2 toon.

With 7 adults WOT did drop to around 5700.

If this helps any

I have a 15 2075GL with 115 and twin 25s, I know heavier boat. I could hit 5950 rpms with the 13p, the 15p with 3 adults 2 kids was only 5200 rpms. Now they make a 14p stainless. When I called Bennington customer service they tested a 2275GL twin 115 with a Yamaha GYT SS 14p. And of course they got 28 mph, over my 26 mph, with a bigger boat. That price is very high for the SS. Check eBay or http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Yamaha/115_HP_(2000Newer)_13.00-Pitch_Propellers/411/?cart_id=303522153

Back