New Yamaha Break-In Procedures

Makes sense now, thanks for the comment.  Guess I will continue to haul ethanol free all the time

Is anyone else aware of Yamaha 100 hour check up including the impeller's possible replacement depending upon stream from motor?

This 100 hour check is every 100 hours 

Is this something anyone has done ?

This will be my first 100 

Will update when boat is pulled 

112052367.jpg

How often do you change the impeller on your Yamaha ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Honda was done after 5 years. I also installed a water pressure guage.

I realize I have a longer boating and mowing season than you "Northerners".    :p   9 months out of the year I use E10 with stabilizer and Nov/Dec/Jan, I use  E- free fuel with Stabil and Seafoam when all my motors sit. I use 5 gal cans either way. If I were putting my stuff up for a northern winter then I would use the good stuff.
cwag911, I plan to pull my boat in November (live in Tennessee).  When I got the boat a few weeks ago, I filled it at a local station with E10 and about 2 weeks afterwards put Marine Sta Bil in (1oz to 10 gals).  I have since learned that I can get E-Free gas at a local gas station and lug the 5 gal containers to fill my tank.  I am currently just under 3/4 tank and will probably be somewhere just under 1/2 tank when I pull the boat.  I plan on adding more Sta Bil to the tank before I pull it.  My question is for you and other more experienced boaters -- should I add the E-Free gas to the tank before storing or just burn off the E10 next season and then add the E-free gas.  I have been told that the E-10 gas will likely go to the bottom of the tank since it is heavier (what I have been told) and burn off first.  At this point I am confused on the best way to go (add E-free now or wait until next season after the E10 has burned off and just add the additional Sta Bil before storing)?  Also, do you or others add stabilizer to the E-free gas?  Thanks.

I add stabilizer to everything and whatever is going to sit for a long period gets filled up. I say fill it up with no-E and add Stabil and Seafoam.

Sounds like sound advise.  I will probably fill up at the end of the season and top it off with no E gas and Sta Bil.

Our Honda was done after 5 years. I also installed a water pressure guage.
Did you have a couple of hundred hours at the end of 5 years

I boat a lot first season with a wet and cool summer I have 100 hours 

Should I wait one more year 

Cost for dealer to do is 300.00 ?

Here at the lake no one seems to do this till it is truly needed 

Their thought is if it isn't broken dont fix it !

112190732.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think it's more years than hours. The rubber gets brittle and drys out, yes even in water. I replaced my buddies and it was 7-8 years old I think. The impellers were gone !! I'd go 5 max, and if you have basic mechanical abilities you can do it yourself. Takes roughly an hour or more for beer breaks.

You're wasting your money using premium fuel.
Not true!
Read the recent test data on dyno testing 87/88 vrs 91/93 octane in cars and trucks--Especially anything supercharged or turbo..
Any motor with a higher compression ratio will benefit!

You're wasting your money using premium fuel.
Not correct-You gain power with premium if there is power to be gained. New engines learn to add timing and make power.

Higher octane will NOT hurt your motor, as a matter of fact 91-93 Octane is all I run. It will unless any horsepower left on the table if your motor is tuned for it. Also I have had alot of new boats and never had a issue driving it like I stole it from the getgo. I test drove all threes Bennys with the dealer and we offloaded the boat and nailed it. He was totally fine with it on all three boats.

In regard to the impeller, I agree that it's a matter of years not hours. I have a rule that I replace mine the start of the 4th boating season, it's not a hard job and the impellers are cheap. A new impeller is good insurance for an uninterrupted boating season and protects your engine.

Back