New Yamaha Break-In Procedures

You folks are AWESOME!

Good to know for the new SHO 250! Thanks TB

Thanks TB! Is there any downside to running fuel with a higher octane rating than what is suggested? I ask as I want to avoid Ethanol and the only way I know to get gas with no Ethanol is to get Premium (Octane rate 91-93). Obviously it costs more...but is there any downside to doing this? Thanks.

Thanks TB! Is there any downside to running fuel with a higher octane rating than what is suggested? I ask as I want to avoid Ethanol and the only way I know to get gas with no Ethanol is to get Premium (Octane rate 91-93). Obviously it costs more...but is there any downside to doing this? Thanks.
They state "minimum" rating, so higher should not be an issue, other than emptying your wallet faster !! I have never read anything about issues going up in octane ratings.

It does say minimum octane should be 89, so my guess is higher would be okay. Just a guess.

Also, the instructions for the 2nd hour of break in is a bit vague. You could read two ways. The first would be to floor it until it planes, then back off and keep it there for the rest of the hour. Or, it could mean to do this many times during that hour. Not sure which. I'm guessing you are supposed to vary it, but it doesn't exactly say that...

Without looking, pretty sure my Merc manual says to "vary the speed" during the second hour (or something like that). I'd have to look...

Semperfi beat me to it. We agree though.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is absolutely no harm in using a higher octane. Due to the configuration of higher octane at the molecular level, higher octane fuel actually takes slightly longer to burn.

For break in procedures the Yamaha android app. Is great it gives you step by step instructions with log entries for your convenience. This app also stores your motor information as well as warranty info such as start date and end date. You will also be able to look at maintenance charts.

Thanks for the post. Didn't know or think about a motor app. Just downloaded it. I'll have to set it up when I get to the boat. Will have to explore to see what info it has.

I just put my new Bennington on the water last week and used the Yamaha App for my breaj in procedures. Works slick. I also plan on using only premium in my tank. Not taking any chances with bad gas in the motor.

You're wasting your money using premium fuel.

Unless it is the only way to get non alcohol fuel.

:lol: :lol: :lol:  the old if 2 aspirins are good 4 have to be better mentality. LOL

Agreed with Remediation, the only way to get ethanol-free fuel around here is the 91 octane which is the only thing that goes in my boat, seadoo, lawn tractor and snowblower

You're wasting your money using premium fuel.
I agree with Carl. Unless your manual specifically states it, 87 & Marine Stabil will do you fine. You can get a bad batch of premium just as easy as 87.

SemperFi, I am not concerned about bad gas, I am concerned about the effect of ethanol

Let me rephrase what I said. If 91 is the only no ethanol fuel then use it. We have 89 around here and that's what I put in everything during the winter.

CWag, would appreciate your take on lower grades of ethanol gas with stabilizer versus 91 no ethanol.  Is ethanol gas with stabilizer acceptable and not harmful or should I spend the extra money on 91 ethanol free [plus the fact that I could fill up at the pump at the marina rather than lugging the 5 gallon gas cans]

I realize I have a longer boating and mowing season than you "Northerners".    :p   9 months out of the year I use E10 with stabilizer and Nov/Dec/Jan, I use  E- free fuel with Stabil and Seafoam when all my motors sit. I use 5 gal cans either way. If I were putting my stuff up for a northern winter then I would use the good stuff.

Back