Newbie: Is there an ideal tow robe length for tubing?

Warning though, Once you do you'll be a water Nazi like me. My biggest pet peeve is no lights at night. Years ago on a chain of lakes there was a pontoon hit one night and there were multiple deaths. The other boater had been drinking however, wasn't charged with anything besides the DWI as he argued he would have seen them if they had lights on. There is a pontoon down from us with no lights, is black and they're out there at night fishing all the time. Idiots.

We never go out at night so the light thing has never been an issue.............One of my biggest pet peeves is people who go through No Wake Zones too fast thus creating a wake or don't slow down at all. When you motion to them or tell them that they're in a No Wake Zone they give you that blank look like.......what???

Semp doesn't have to worry about easing off the throttle for no wake zones!!! Had to throw that out there!! I'm guessing there is only 10% of the boating population who has taken any boaters safety course and that concerns me.

Huh .... Who me ??? You all would be amazed at the wake a 20hp 2500 pontoon boat can make..... I can only imagine a 250 hp !!!!

I think your theory is believed by some at our docks ..... Drives me nuts !!!

We sit at the end of our dock and I count violations to my wife just for sport - no observer for skiers, big wakes, buoy clipping, proximity issues, pwc everything, life jacket violations, lights, overloading, hanging off the front and back, and on and on... We even have a lake marshall with a patrol boat, but there's only so much he can do. And then there's the big daddies that just pay the kids' (with the Air Nautiques) tickets, ugh.

Warning though, Once you do you'll be a water Nazi like me. My biggest pet peeve is no lights at night. Years ago on a chain of lakes there was a pontoon hit one night and there were multiple deaths. The other boater had been drinking however, wasn't charged with anything besides the DWI as he argued he would have seen them if they had lights on. There is a pontoon down from us with no lights, is black and they're out there at night fishing all the time. Idiots.
lakeliving, I know this is an old post but is this chain of lakes you mentioned include Zukey Lake. If so, the pontoon was our neighbors . The other boat destroyed the pontoon.

Last edited:
lakeliving, I know this is an old post but is this chain of lakes you mentioned include Zukey Lake. If so, the pontoon was our neighbors . The other boat destroyed the pontoon.

That’s the one. I used to live in Howell on Thompson lake.

We sit at the end of our dock and I count violations to my wife just for sport - no observer for skiers, big wakes, buoy clipping, proximity issues, pwc everything, life jacket violations, lights, overloading, hanging off the front and back, and on and on... We even have a lake marshall with a patrol boat, but there's only so much he can do. And then there's the big daddies that just pay the kids' (with the Air Nautiques) tickets, ugh.

And don't forget pulling a tube through a no-wake zone with kids on it, a no no for certain!

Is there such a thing as 'Bennington brain' where you can't stop thinking about your new Benny, you find yourself either cruising the forums or on pontoon website looking for accessories, and you can't wait until you can get on your toon again? Benningtonosis? Benningtonitis? Benningtonoma? Whatever it is, I've got it so bad I couldn't figure out the time difference issue. Lol.

Thanks, Commodore!

I am a year and a half into ownership, and the answer is no so far. It seems to have developed into a chronic condition. :D

We've seen the boat police a few times when we've been out and I have this secret fear that we're going to be pulled over for being boat-stupid.

Okay, I missed this whole thread this past year. My loss. Just noticed it was an addition to a post from 2013. LOL. That said, it is one of the funniest and most entertaining I’ve read.

Last edited:
That is an old thread! And a good read. I had forgotten all of it. It was like reading it for the first time. Guess I'm getting old....

I wonder what happened to Tim and Amy...

Back