Newbie to Benny, Little Fish on a Big Lake

Reaction score
Morning All,

Ordered our first Bennington in February. It should be in Cincinnati in 1 more week. Nothing fancy compared to the posts I have seen with you "big dogs" with R's and Q's. Know that reading posts here has been very helpful in my build decision more than I can say. I tend to be an “over planner.” Dealer is delivering from Cincy to Norris on 04/20. Can’t wait!

2013-22-SSLX-32"-ESP, Most likely loaded it up too much and overpaid, but left out the things that would have or could have given us trouble or just not made sense for the money or our lifestyle/frequency of use. Thought it best to start slow as we just closed on the Norris Lake front home in December.

Left out Fluff: Pillow top interior, 2 batteries, Blue Ice Cups, Bimini lighting etc.

Added: 115 Mercury, Hydraulic Steering, G Helm Chair, Tilt, Battery Switch, Fuel water separator, Upgraded Stereo, Ski tow bar & other niceties like Extended Seat Curved Ladder, SS Docking lights & most likely too much more.

Ski tow bar is where we ran into trouble. Before the build we called the factory and asked that we could have “that ladder with that build.” All was good. Last day of build, and boat coming off the line, “You cannot do that!”

Was told that Bennington engineers were going to meet that Monday morning to correct the issue and find a solution. (We were impressed) Got the phone call Monday afternoon, sorry Linus, we cannot do that, and offered ZERO solutions! I got a little bent and researched on my own. Seems that Turboswing is the potential answer. Appears that they have requested samples for my build as well as others. If it works for them, I will be charged accordingly, but the good news is they may soon be a dealer for Turboswing. Many happy returns! We will see how that works out in the end.

PS My sales guy is GREAT, Just not sure about Bennington Commitment to customer service just yet.

I know, “big rant,” I trust that in time, they will make it right.

Welcome to the party Linus. Not to be critical, but if you ordered the ESP setup, I think you don't have enough engine, unless I'm reading it wrong. Bennington will make you happy.

I was thinking he meant the twin elliptical's.

I too think he's talking about the twin ellipticals. They should run fine with the 115 hp. Are you getting the ellipitals with the lifting stakes?

You ordered your boat with the best options. Some of the small, expensive items add up and are seldom used.

And at one point, price can break the camel's back.

I assume you did order a tandem axle trailer with the boat????? Norris Lake is a special place in Summer, but it's one of those lakes where the boats have to be taken out when the pool's dropped so low for the winter.

Yes on the Tin Elliptical not ESP, has lifting strakes, wave-shields etc. As we have a Rinker for speed the Elliptical Sport package was a bit steep for the use it would get.

(He said now....Check back next summer)

Yes on the double Axle Trailer, but as the Lake house has a 36 X 24 garage and a hydro lift at the slip I think the trailer may not get much road use. Lake levels are finally starting to come up a bit now.

That's great. East Tennessee has been blessed with good rains this Spring, and it's good that the water's coming up. Of course today's April first, and it's time.

I used to work in New Tazewell from time to time, and the rest of the South really has no idea what's north of Knoxville, and that Norris Lake is such a premier lake. I cannot get over Norris Lake having all the condos, hotels, floating houses and 18 marinas. We just have two places on our lake to buy gasoline--and 4 small marinas. Norris Lake on a map looks like two or three separate lakes with a canal through the mountain linking them.

You're very fortunate to have such good storage at your place. As soon as your boating season's over, getting the boat out of the water and under cover is the way to make your boat last so much longer.

I sold my pontoon trailer many years ago, and would have taken better mechanical care of my old 1985 Starcraft had I kept it. And good used pontoon trailers are few and far between on Craigslist. They just don't come up very often. I bet not even 25% of the pontoons sold on this part of the Tennessee River are purchased with trailers.

Bamaman,

Yes Norris is a great place.

Deerfield is only 3.75 Hours door to door from Cincinnati, and waterfront to boot! We were quite lucky to find that place. Only 6 years old, very well appointed 2.75 acres lakefront.The marina is also very close to the house. As I will not retire for 15 more years, keeping the Benny "clean and nice" is important as you mentioned. My wife is betting me $1 that I will have a Q within 3 seasons. We shall see.

Quite excited to get our new Benny delivered and on the water. We still have to run up to the house in Canada to pick up the Rinker and drop it in her new (warmer water) slip at Deerfield Marina. Selling the Canada house, just too far to travel. Made sense when we lived in Michigan. Will be sad to see it go. Go Blue! Who wants to buy it?

Forum Qustions:

1) Read quite a bit about Fenders and just not sure where to go here. Standard or elogated? Cant quite figure out why elongated is necessary when dock height is so close to rub rail height. Perhaps I am a bit more careful than some, or the docks are different? How in the heck would something get all the way up to the siding to dent it if properly moored at the dock or tied up for fuel?

2) Have a 20" covered slip at the marina with a Hydrolift V-hull configuration. What would it typically cost to convert to eliptical for the SSLX?

3) Bigger question, Is the Fiberglass Rinker better off during the summer on the lift, and better to pull out the Bennington and put it in the Garage when we are not there? Did a walk through at the Marina a few weeks ago and found only 9 of 41 pontoons were lifted. 99% of V hull's were lifted. Am I missing something?

They both fit in the garage with the other toys for the winter so that's not an issue, just wondering if its best to pull the Benny when we are not there or the Rinker? We plan about 45 days at Norris from March to October annually. Things are a bit different when water is warmer and no Boathouse like Canada.

Thanks again for all of the great data posts to all. I have learned alot about boating here!

LNS

The elongated fenders are more for when rafting up. At the dock for gas we don't use fenders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back