Newbie: toons, power, performance choices..

Just another possibility for those of you with Seastar steering without the electric assist. If you're not pulling people behind the boat and just cursing the heavy steering during docking you might want to consider adding a nice "suicide knob" to the steering wheel. All sorts of choices to be had at many auto or farm supply locations, mine is a beautiful black leather.

This was something I was missing when I moved from a center console to my Benny and since I too did not order the electric assist when I added the Seastar steering, I was a bit dismayed at the steering effort required when maneuvering the boat.

Last edited:
The suicide knob is a great idea for an add on for one people. Never thought of it. We have power assist, so really not a concern for us. However, its a great idea for many!

The knob still helps steering when docking even with power assit. The steering wheel can be handle with one hand and the other is available for throttle controls. Thats why most single engine center console boats come from the factory with the knob. I just bought one but haven't installed it yet. Should help with turning the boat in close quarters with the wind pushing the boat in the opposite direction. The wheel and throttle need to be worked quickly in both directions.

I love my suicide knob combined with the power steering!

Hmmm...I have power steering, but my rather large lake can brew up some strong winds, and big waves that make getting in my lift an extra challenge sometimes. We also do a lot of criss-cross maneuvers when tubing. Perhaps the knob would make it that much easier, or more fun, as a driver.

Last edited:
Anyone have a picture? Any recommendations on where to purchase?

D8594FB4-F772-46ED-A5A3-D2A1225954C9.jpeg 6B1E93EC-E962-4F15-8E56-DEDE0F5FD2E6.jpeg

Thanks, SemperFi. So that will fit the standard Bennington steering wheel?

I'm heading for camp shortly, I'll get a snap of mine and send it up. I actually was considering replacing the entire wheel with something stylish and all stainless but this scratched the itch for now.

Thanks, SemperFi. So that will fit the standard Bennington steering wheel?

I would think so. I’d look around, all different styles. Basically the clamp just closes further for smaller wheel.

Food for thought. You all have got me thinking. I’m going to see if I can find one to complement my steering wheel. On further thought my steering wheel is wrapped tightening down a clamp on it might damage it. What do you think?

Last edited:
Food for thought. You all have got me thinking. I’m going to see if I can find one to complement my steering wheel. On further thought my steering wheel is wrapped tightening down a clamp on it might damage it. What do you think?

Following both....

(1) any options you come up with that you believe to really compliment the nicely wrapped Bennington steering wheel, and (b) thoughts on damaging the wrap on the steering wheels.

Do like the SeaSense starring knob, but also afraid to damage the leather wrapped steering wheel, which is a very classy look, IMO.IMG_0848.PNG

Put it on one of the spokes.

I also only have the SeaStar Hydraulic steering, which at the time of purchase it was not explained that wasn't the one finger turning that other manufacturers mean when they say "hydraulic" steering. I like the suicide knob and this $30 trick may be the way to go for me. It appears that the SeaStar 12V Power Assist Unit PA1200 or PA 1315 (don't know difference) are $1600 - $1800. My dealer just quoted me $2700 to add "power assist" to my boat. Does anyone know what this upgrade would cost on a new boat?

I also only have the SeaStar Hydraulic steering, which at the time of purchase it was not explained that wasn't the one finger turning that other manufacturers mean when they say "hydraulic" steering. I like the suicide knob and this $30 trick may be the way to go for me. It appears that the SeaStar 12V Power Assist Unit PA1200 or PA 1315 (don't know difference) are $1600 - $1800. My dealer just quoted me $2700 to add "power assist" to my boat. Does anyone know what this upgrade would cost on a new boat?

I had installed by the dealer and paid $2,800 for it. It costs about the same on a new boat MSRP. You’re not getting your discount on it.. I will tell you if you can swing it, do it. It changes the whole dynamic of the SPS Tritoon system. You will maximize that set-up. If you do it, you should push your dealer to have the warranty apply to the install. I was able to do that.

I had installed by the dealer and paid $2,800 for it. It costs about the same on a new boat MSRP. You’re not getting your discount on it.. I will tell you if you can swing it, do it. It changes the whole dynamic of the SPS Tritoon system. You will maximize that set-up. If you do it, you should push your dealer to have the warranty apply to the install. I was able to do that.

I just sent email to the dealer about the "warranty applying to the install" to see if they would be willing to help me out. I'm not expecting anything, but I will keep my fingers crossed. I'll keep you posted. Thx.

Back