NMEA port on radio?

jcr159

Reaction score
Once again proving that the more I learn, the more I don't know...

I started looking into a radio upgrade, and noticed that some head units have an NMEA port/compatibility. What the heck is it for? I thought NMEA was to tie together GPS, engine data, radar, etc. to a display (glass pane). I'm guessing that it isn't that the radio will start displaying engine data, right?

if it matters, I was looking at this unit (among many). I have no idea what to select, but I think I want an external amp. What head unit to have seems to be a head scratcher...

Once again proving that the more I learn, the more I don't know...

I started looking into a radio upgrade, and noticed that some head units have an NMEA port/compatibility. What the heck is it for? I thought NMEA was to tie together GPS, engine data, radar, etc. to a display (glass pane). I'm guessing that it isn't that the radio will start displaying engine data, right?

if it matters, I was looking at this unit (among many). I have no idea what to select, but I think I want an external amp. What head unit to have seems to be a head scratcher...

What do you currently have?

I’ll take a look when I’m out next, but I wanna say it’s the KMC1?
If it’s round, it probably is. I was just wondering because the KMC5 is not really much of an upgrade over the discontinued KMC10.

If it’s round, it probably is. I was just wondering because the KMC5 is not really much of an upgrade over the discontinued KMC10.

good to know. it is so hard with marine stuff to figure out what might actually be an upgrade vs. a different faceplate...

good to know. it is so hard with marine stuff to figure out what might actually be an upgrade vs. a different faceplate...
And just to be clear, the KMC1 (round) is different than a KMC5 or 10. A 5 would be an upgrade over the 1.

A definite improvement would be to install a subwoofer and/or an amplifier. A sub can usually be added without the hassle of running a line from the battery to the helm.

And just to be clear, the KMC1 (round) is different than a KMC5 or 10. A 5 would be an upgrade over the 1.

A definite improvement would be to install a subwoofer and/or an amplifier. A sub can usually be added without the hassle of running a line from the battery to the helm.
Yeah, that sounds like my path of thinking…. Remembering back to my car audio days, a new head unit and dedicated amp at a minimum was on the docket.. not sure I can give up the space to a sub…. The better half has managed to fill all the nooks and crannies over the last year, lol

Back