No cover on boat - - rain for 5 days

Billdearing

Reaction score
My bennington has been well cared for. It is a 2011, and has always been covered - - until yesterday. I got caught out in the rain. Once I got the boat pulled out of the water, it was saturated and I couldn't put the cover on (mold would set in). I have no undercover area to store the boat. It is suppossed to rain for the next five days. Am I doing any permanent damage leaving the boat uncovered for 5 days in the rain? Should I at least open the bimini top to keep rain off the guages?

I know it's a boat and built for water exposure., but this is frustrating knowing how well I kept it before yesterday. Not sure if there is anything I should/could do at this point.

Any insight appreciated.

I would put the top up and wait it out. Not much else you can do. Or..................put the cover on for a couple days and leave the doors open with a box fan running until the sun comes out.

My bennington has been well cared for. It is a 2011, and has always been covered - - until yesterday. I got caught out in the rain. Once I got the boat pulled out of the water, it was saturated and I couldn't put the cover on (mold would set in). I have no undercover area to store the boat. It is suppossed to rain for the next five days. Am I doing any permanent damage leaving the boat uncovered for 5 days in the rain? Should I at least open the bimini top to keep rain off the guages?

I know it's a boat and built for water exposure., but this is frustrating knowing how well I kept it before yesterday. Not sure if there is anything I should/could do at this point.

Any insight appreciated.

Here at The Lake 

We have many who never cover their boats 

It is shocking to me 

They claim the only down side is the occasional bird droppings

We cover ours each and every time we are out 

A Costly Toy needs protection in my eyes

They just laugh and say do you cover your car 

My answer yes 

In the Garage (lol)

89832097.jpg

I hope it dries out with no problems 

Good Luck 

BTW

The rains are arriving here today  

Last edited by a moderator:
Throw the cover on and as stated raise the jack or park in in a position so that the water can drain off. The playpen covers breathe quite well and depending on the color of it can create a lot of heat under them to help dry it out better than letting it sit open for days.

I pulled my boat out of my boathouse yesterday and dodged storms going to the boat ramp to put it on the trailer for cleaning.

I welcome my being wet, as it'll just make it easier to get the spider poop off the sides and the toons.  The mooring cover kept the seats a little cleaner.  If it quits pouring rain, I'll get out and soap the boat down.  It may take a day or two before the carpet can be vacuumed/cleaned.

What's nice about pontoon boats getting soaked is that you don't have to worry about them sinking.

I wouldn't stress too much about. Boats are meant to get wet.

Manufacturers use Marine grade plywood, vinyl and everything else (stainless steel etc)

I just wouldn't make a habit of it. 

Beginning of each season and mid-season, I would get a good, UV protection vinyl cleaner and apply it to the seats. 

When the rain stops - wipe it down good and let it air out. 

Thanks to all for the advice. We had a break in the rain today for a few hours. I was able to towell dry all the seats (and in between). A couple of hours of wind and sun did a pretty good job of drying out the boat. I was able to put the cover on the boat. The carpet was still damp, so I left a couple of openings, and ran a fan for a couple of hours as suggested. All things considered, everything turned out o.k.

It's back to rain, rain, rain...so I am glad I got on it in the small window I had.

Again, thanks.

Back