No Sound from Stereo

Baroda5

Reaction score
I'm looking for some insight from the group's audiophiles, my stereo will not work this year. I have a 2013, with a Sony Head unit, Sony dash mounted remote and the Wetsounds Sub and amps (not sure if they are Kicker), from the factory. The display on the head unit does not illuminate, the remote display does. The only buttons that work on either is the "Source" buttons. Pressing the button on either the head unit or the remote will cycle thru the options on the remote display, but won't show AM or Bluetooth. If I plug in my phone thru the USB, the sound quits playing thru the phone, but nothing thru the speakers. I checked the breaker under the ACC switch, the fuse on the back of the head unit, and the two monster fuses back by the batteries, all are good.

Do you agree that the head unit is dead?

Attachments

• IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 22
Does that have a removable faceplate? Might try pulling it and reinserting it.

Turn the round knob (volume) clockwise ;^) ;^) (just kidding) Yeah, I would pull the head unit and make sure the contacts are clean and look into the unit and make sure no dirt,lint got into those contacts.

Turn the round knob (volume) clockwise ;^) ;^) (just kidding) Yeah, I would pull the head unit and make sure the contacts are clean and look into the unit and make sure no dirt,lint got into those contacts.

Will do

you may try disconnecting power too it. If you leave the power on, the radio will always draw something just for memory. If you turn the master power off (on the boat), That procedure probably won't do anything. instructions say anything about a master "reset" button? Other option. Google the brand, model #, and even serial number if you have that info. There may be some sort of Tech Release. When you clean the connections, you need to make sure you don't push the connections too hard. When you plug the head back on. You may not be getting a solid connection on every single switch. Make sure none of those little guys is smashed in. I've seen that happen several times. depending on the model you may be able to use something like a toothpick or smaller to pry them up a bit.

Time to buy a new head unit. They get moisture in them and rust. This has happen to me twice over the years. Do your research and buy a new one, they have a lot of new head units out there that aren't that expensive.

Time to buy a new head unit. They get moisture in them and rust. This has happen to me twice over the years. Do your research and buy a new one, they have a lot of new head units out there that aren't that expensive.
Yeah the aftermarket head units not specifically designed for marine use are really prone to corrosion on the circuit board. I design radios for OEM automotive use and the reliability requirements in the aftermarket are pretty weak as they are not required to pass the 10 year simulated life test. If this is what caused it to fail you might be able to rework the board if you are good at soldering surface mount parts.

Yeah the aftermarket head units not specifically designed for marine use are really prone to corrosion on the circuit board. I design radios for OEM automotive use and the reliability requirements in the aftermarket are pretty weak as they are not required to pass the 10 year simulated life test. If this is what caused it to fail you might be able to rework the board if you are good at soldering surface mount parts.

I have that capability at work, but not sure it's worth a head unit that doesn't appear to be a high dollar item. Crutchfield said nothing can control that remote and I need to get a new one. They quoted a $200 package, head unit and remote, but I haven't researched anything else.

Looks like the Sony unit was a 52 watt x 4. With the amps, does this take the headunit power out of the picture? Or do I need to find a powerful head unit to help drive the system?? I think it is a 400 watt WetSounds system, but I'm not sure about that.

I had issues on my last toon with the harness connector. Both power, and speakers would act up. I cleaned up the connector, and put some dielectric grease in it, worked great after that.

Check with your dealer. I posted earlier in another thread that our 2013 Sony had quit at near the end of the 2016 season. I finally got around to checking with them a year later and they replaced it under warrenty without even seeing the radio or wanting the old one back. They did ask me to check the fuse first - it is not visible - under the plug in the back of the radio.

I have a 2014 RCW .Mine is a Sony DSX-S310BTX . ( I also have the Wet Sounds Speakers ,Amp & Sub ) If you have the same model, perhaps you can find one with the same connections
"Sometimes" they have them on Amazon and Ebay .
Or contact Sony ( https://esupport.sony.com/ ) Ask what new models are the same dimensions and have the same connections

I dont know if it helps with the electronics or not but under the helm I keep a plastic coffee can with container a Damp Rid in it .
108a7ab1-dc46-4a3a-a017-dfdd16499a33_1.5fe6723ff56b87e96fad3218cdb2024f.jpeg

I dont know if it helps with the electronics or not but under the helm I keep a plastic coffee can with container a Damp Rid in it .
108a7ab1-dc46-4a3a-a017-dfdd16499a33_1.5fe6723ff56b87e96fad3218cdb2024f.jpeg
Great minds think alike, I had the exact thing inside the helm, in the center toon storage, and in both rear chaise compartments with all the cushions up for storage this year. Do you keep it in there all year?

Yes. I refill it before it goes into storage . I also put dryer sheets under the seats and helm

This is going to sound silly...but it worked. Radio comes on fine, but no sound. the fist few time I just started pushing buttons and they came on...still don't know what I pushed to get them to work. Now the crazy part, this weekend my son was trying to get the speakers to work but could't. So he plugged in a air pump in the 12v socket to air up a air float and the speakers started working. Unplugged it and they still worked. Turned off the Radio then back on no sound....plugged the air pump back in and started working. Did this a few times and worked every time......So my thought is that it some sort of grounding issue. I'm going to look at it closer this weekend.

This is going to sound silly...but it worked. Radio comes on fine, but no sound. the fist few time I just started pushing buttons and they came on...still don't know what I pushed to get them to work. Now the crazy part, this weekend my son was trying to get the speakers to work but could't. So he plugged in a air pump in the 12v socket to air up a air float and the speakers started working. Unplugged it and they still worked. Turned off the Radio then back on no sound....plugged the air pump back in and started working. Did this a few times and worked every time......So my thought is that it some sort of grounding issue. I'm going to look at it closer this weekend.

By far the most bizarre speaker/radio fix I’ve ever heard of, but hey, it works now.

UPDATE: Sorry, it's finally warm here, been boating more than "surfing". Dealer/Bennington came thru and covered it under warranty.

Thanks for all the help and I hope you have a great remaining summer.

Back