Oil change

Tusc1

Reaction score
Had my 20 hour service completed on a F150 Yamaha. The dealer used 7 qts of oil. I talked to him regarding the fact that the manual states essentially 5 qts are used. The manual also states the oil should registered 1/2 way between upper and lower markings on the dipstick. The dealer stated they usually put 7 qts in. Would 7 qts move the oil level up to the top of the markings? I’m concerned about overfilling the oil.

Might be just padding the materials bill. Check the level and if it’s in the right range run it and find a new service center.

Thanks. Boat is kept in dry storage so when I get a chance I plan on checking it. Appreciate your thoughts.

Before you check your oil level, tilt it as high as it goes and leave for a few seconds. Then drop it down to a "level" position. Wait a couple of minutes for the oil to drain into the sump.

If your oil level is not midway between the cross hatch pattern on the stick, take a little oil out. (I have a small oil pump.) That way you can watch the oil level closely for awhile. You're right not to want to overfill the oil.

After my first oil change, I switched to Mobil 1 EP which is a superior motor oil. And the Ford Focus 2.0 engine oil filter is the same that is used by all Yamaha 4 stroke engines. Both are available at Walmart.

I use Quicksilver lower unit grease--$9 at Walmart--and I drain it into a Walmart kiddie swimming pool looking for water intrusion and metal shavings.

My entire yearly maintenance is a 30 minute job, and I most often do it at the boat ramp. Sure beats spending $300.

Before you check your oil level, tilt it as high as it goes and leave for a few seconds. Then drop it down to a "level" position. Wait a couple of minutes for the oil to drain into the sump.

If your oil level is not midway between the cross hatch pattern on the stick, take a little oil out. (I have a small oil pump.) That way you can watch the oil level closely for awhile. You're right not to want to overfill the oil.

After my first oil change, I switched to Mobil 1 EP which is a superior motor oil. And the Ford Focus 2.0 engine oil filter is the same that is used by all Yamaha 4 stroke engines. Both are available at Walmart.

I use Quicksilver lower unit grease--$9 at Walmart--and I drain it into a Walmart kiddie swimming pool looking for water intrusion and metal shavings.

My entire yearly maintenance is a 30 minute job, and I most often do it at the boat ramp. Sure beats spending $300.

Interesting on the Ford Focus 2.0 filter... My first oil change I went with Red Line and the Yamaha filter.

Yearly maintenance is so easy on modern 4 stroke motors, and it's just a 30 minute job. I don't see any reason to pay an extra $250 to a dealer for 30 minute's labor.

Life has got in the way of our boating the last couple of years, and with such low hours put on the motor I'll skip a year of oil changes. We're on the river, and because the lake is in our front yard we don't go out for hours and hours. Sometimes we just start the boat up and go 1/2 mile out and float all night--on 50 cents of gasoline.

Yearly maintenance is so easy on modern 4 stroke motors, and it's just a 30 minute job. I don't see any reason to pay an extra $250 to a dealer for 30 minute's labor.

Life has got in the way of our boating the last couple of years, and with such low hours put on the motor I'll skip a year of oil changes. We're on the river, and because the lake is in our front yard we don't go out for hours and hours. Sometimes we just start the boat up and go 1/2 mile out and float all night--on 50 cents of gasoline.
Thanks Bamaman. When you do your oil change how much oil do you put in?

I did some nice Friday morning cruising yesterday. Water was so nice I found myself at WOT the majority of the time spent out. Had to break down and buy Marina gas because I went through so much. Haha.

It was sadly more than 50 cents
$4.90 at the marina for comparison for other marinas out there

I did some nice Friday morning cruising yesterday. Water was so nice I found myself at WOT the majority of the time spent out. Had to break down and buy Marina gas because I went through so much. Haha.

It was sadly more than 50 cents
$4.90 at the marina for comparison for other marinas out there
Hey man if it needs it......

Luckily I have one of the best dealers in the business. Captains Choice. Wouldn't buy or service anywhere else.

I am very much looking forward to doing my first year winterization of my SHO 90. Oil change, lower unit lube change, and both fuel filter change. Seems very easy to do, especially with all the videos on YouTube. Buying the entire change kit from PartsVu.

It’s simple, takes me less than an hour. I’d spend twice that amount of time just transporting to/from the dealer, as I store in my own bldg . Try to do it while engine is still warm.

I am very much looking forward to doing my first year winterization of my SHO 90. Oil change, lower unit lube change, and both fuel filter change. Seems very easy to do, especially with all the videos on YouTube. Buying the entire change kit from PartsVu.
I found PartsVu by accident this past weekend. Was ready to spend $164 for the yamaha oil change kit on Amazon when PartsVu popped up. Save a lot of money using PartVu!

Back